I kept getting error 6 even though i knew i was in DFU mode. Here is how i solved it:

1. Put iPhone into restore mode and plug into computer.
    2. Leave iTunes running.
    3. Delete any custom made firmware.
    4. Build new custom firmware.
    5. Click iPwner to pwn iTunes.
    6. iTunes should now be closed.
    7. Put iPhone into DFU mode.
    8. iTunes should now come up and say it detected a iPhone that needs to be restored, now shift+click restore and select the newly created firmware.

This worked for me. For some reason when i do it in those steps exactly, it worked.

Hope it helps!
    2008-08-09 09:45 PM
    Thanks for the try... but your system didn't do it for me... I'm about to get annoyed with this....
    2008-08-09 10:54 PM
    how do i put iphone in restore mode?
    2008-08-10 12:58 AM
    restore mode is when you see the connect to itunes screen

DFU is when itunes recognizes it and the screen on the iphone is black
    2008-08-10 01:26 AM
    ive tried it allll cannot get away from the damn error 6!!! two different computers.. reinstalled everything like 4x.. any other solutions??
    2008-08-10 02:07 AM
    U need to put phone in dfu mode. With phone on and connected to iTunes, hold home button and power/sleep button untilscreen goes blank, then let go of power/sleep button but CONTINUE holding home button until iTunes says you r in recovery (dfu)mode. The iPhone will have blank screen, not USB image. Now try to restore the custom FW

I had issues too, once phone was in dfu mode I had to restore to the apple 2.0.1 fw first. Then created custom pwned fw. Pressed ipwn to pwn iTunes, after that, put phone in dfu mode, restored custom fw, and got no errors. Did u click ipwn and have 'use iTunes' checked?
    Last edited by ayoraider07; 2008-08-10 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-10 02:32 AM
    yes.. ive done all that .. its basicaly bricked after error 6.. only cable and itunes logo.. no slider or emergency call..
    i go back to itunes load 2.0.1 so atleast i get the slider and emergency call... i then create everything exactly as listed...im in dfu mode (phone is blank) goes for about 10 minutes and gives me error 6 over and over.. ive tried xp and vista.. ive done it over and over my phone is useless at this point.. i need it atleast activated im a att customer with a 3g phone.. but im trying to unlock this one and sell it.. the one im trying all this on is obviously a regular iphone.. NOT the 3g.. any other ideas???

also wondering why the different guides.. have different firmwares to download to start out with???? there are..
    iPhone1,1_2.0_5A347
    and
    iPhone1,1_2.0.1_5B108_Restore.ipsw
    ??????
    which one works?? and why are there two??
    Last edited by Smoked_tails; 2008-08-10 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-08-10 03:27 AM
    @Smoked_Tails
    If you have the cable & iTunes logo up then you are not in DFU mode. to assist with this I recommend going here: How To Put The iPhone Into DFU Mode follow the alternative method that has you download the DFU application to put your iPhone in to DFU mode easily.
    The two firmware names you mention are two different firmwares. The first is 2.0 and the second is 2.0.1, both of these are for iPhone 2G and both should work fine with the latest versions of PWNAGE or WinPwn.

Hope this Helps
    -Dan
    2008-08-10 04:48 AM
    @Smoked_Tails
    If you have the cable & iTunes logo up then you are not in DFU mode. to assist with this I recommend going here: How To Put The iPhone Into DFU Mode follow the alternative method that has you download the DFU application to put your iPhone in to DFU mode easily.
    The two firmware names you mention are two different firmwares. The first is 2.0 and the second is 2.0.1, both of these are for iPhone 2G and both should work fine with the latest versions of PWNAGE or WinPwn.

Hope this Helps
    -Dan
    hey dan... thnx.. i finally figured it out.. with ur help.. i guess they dont let u use pwned firmware now in restore mode.. u have to update it in DFU mode..
    'It's like a finger pointing away to the moon. Don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all that heavenly glory' ~ Bruce Lee
    2008-08-11 07:20 AM
    I had the same error 6 for hours and I finally got it fixed following these steps

It looks like you are not in DFU mode but in recovery mode.

Try the following steps to manually enter DFU mode :

- Plug iPhone to the PC via USB
    - Switch off the iPhone
    - Hold Power and Home buttons together 10 seconds (precisely!)
    - After 10 seconds, release Power button but keep holding Home button until your PC recognized the iPhone as a USB device
    - The display should be black like it is switched off
    - DFU mode is reached !

I was in restore mode and not in DFU mode..
    2008-08-11 09:02 AM
    ok ive been stuck with this problem all day the dreded 6,,, i got out of it by putting the orignal fw on it before i tried doing the update.. i think its also cuz of a bad fw.. try not checking installer.app and only the youtube and cydia also i increased the size of the portion to 520.. it worked for me give it a try
    2008-08-11 09:40 AM
    I had a bad day yesterday, trying to update my 1.1.4 to 2.0.1. and gave up in the end.

Kept getting error 6 after trying to restore custom firmware created with winpwn - I was definetly in DFU mode.

I had to restore to 1.1.4 firmware, iliberty+ to jailbreak, customised ziphone to downgrade my baseband again and unlock.

Might have another go tonight and try increasing the partition from 500mb - why would that make a difference?

Cheers
    2008-08-11 10:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD