hey everyone. i'm new to both the iPhone and the jailbreaking scene.

got an iPhone 3G last month and have been waiting for the Pwnage tools to hit the seen

since i have no prior experience with some of the jailbreak apps that many of you have been using since original iPhone via cydia and installer....my question to you guys is......is it worth it to jailbreak my iPhone for these apps?

with the advent of the AppStore, i wonder how necessary having homebrew is. also, is there a huge risk in jailbreaking? it seems from these forums that many people are having problems with their phone after jailbreaking

and finally, do you guys have some favorite programs on cydia or installer that you love that will most likely never appear on the official AppStore?

THANK YOU GUYS!!
    2008-08-11 06:36 PM
    The primary reason you would want to jailbreak with 2.0 is if you wish to have/use themes on your iPhone. Other than that I use all 2.0 Apps and don't miss any of the 1.1.4 apps.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2008-08-11 06:43 PM
    themes? that's it???

why is everyone so jailbreak crazy then if all the worth is mainly involving custom themes?

everyone want customized icons and menu bar headers THAT badly?
    2008-08-11 06:46 PM
    themes? that's it???

why is everyone so jailbreak crazy then if all the worth is mainly involving custom themes?

everyone want customized icons and menu bar headers THAT badly?
    Yes. Nothing better than individualizing YOUR phone the way YOU want it.
    2008-08-11 06:54 PM
    so there aren't any cool apps aside from customize that makes jailbreaking worth it?

also, what can you customize aside from themes and icon? the more detail the better since i have never jailbroken

thanks!
    2008-08-11 06:59 PM
    Any type of customizing, including file mods, require jailbreaking so you can write to the root partition.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2008-08-11 07:11 PM
    so there aren't any cool apps aside from customize that makes jailbreaking worth it?

also, what can you customize aside from themes and icon? the more detail the better since i have never jailbroken

thanks!
    There are a lot of cool apps.

Cydia, mxTube, intellascreen, NES, synchstep, WinterBoard, BossPrefs, AppFlow, OpenSSH.

And that's just a taste. There should be more coming in the next few months.
    2008-08-11 07:31 PM
    what do those programs do though? do you actually use them often? don't they have apps like those that do the same thing on the AppStore (only they cost money obviously)

thanks
    2008-08-11 10:38 PM
    what do those programs do though? do you actually use them often? don't they have apps like those that do the same thing on the AppStore (only they cost money obviously)

thanks
    Cydia allows you to download apps for your jailbroken iphone.
    mxTube allows you to download youtube videos on to your iphone.
    intellascreen allows you to view your texts, email etc..on your lock screen.
    NES is a Nintendo emulator.
    SwapTunes allows you to sync with multiple itunes libraries.
    WinterBoard allows you to customize your wallpaper and icons.
    BossPrefs allows you to toggle networks on/off and hides unused icons. OpenSSH gives you complete control over system files.

I use all of those on a daily basis and you cannot get ANY of them from the App Store since these apps can make changes to the system.

Honestly if you need this much convincing you might as well not jailbreak your phone. It's not for everybody, but I love the freedom of doing whatever I want to my phone since I OWN it. That includes customizing the way I want and having the apps that I want.

Good luck on your decision.
    2008-08-11 11:07 PM
    At this point why not just Pwn it, it is really easy and it is also reversable. I dont get why you wouldnt want it Jailbroken.
    2008-08-11 11:25 PM
    would pwn it without even batting an eye but are there any risks involved?

how come there are so many posts about problems with people's iphones after they jailbreak it?

best of both worlds is to pwn it....but not if there's a 25% chance i can brick my phone

is everyone posting about a problem just stupid and missing a step in the jailbreaking instruction path?
    2008-08-12 03:08 AM
    you have to remember there are thousands, probably more people that jailbreak there phones, the hundred or so people that have problems usually have problems because they dont follow instructions or they overlook something in the process

i have had my phone jailbroken since 1.0.2 and i hate when i dont have the full control over my device
    2008-08-12 03:16 AM
    I havent jailbroken mine yet (new here too, and also a new iPhone user) however im almost to the frustrated point where I will have too. I need to be able to customize my phone. Best example is the LAME, very quiet mail notification sound. I am a sys engineer/admin and i need to be able to hear my email notifications however annoying they are. Apple has not given the business users an alternative.

I also would not mind seeing my last <number> of emails on the lock screen.
    2008-08-12 05:03 AM
    2 words: worth it .. and what j0ntar & oo3 said...

having previously owned 2 blackberries, 2 winmo devices with custom cooked firmware, i'm used to having pretty much free reign on my phone as to what i want/dont want to do with it.

having to settle for the apple imposed restrictions bugged the hell outta me and i was already starting to look for the next thing i could play with. i like to tinker.

j0ntar; do it, do it. you've voiced my exact same complaints with the iphone. intelliscreen, customize, winterboard etc address all those issues/needs and then some. the fact that i can ssh into my phone, setup a lighttpd server, rsync it, whatever, is just too dmn cool.

intelliscreen full at $20 is *more* than reasonable. 2 lockscreens, screen1 with email, calender & screen2 with sms and weather. it's more than halved the time i spend tapping icons checking on the various items. finally, this is the phone i've been waiting for, aside from the that copy/paste thing and the battery life.

i up'd to 2.0.1 then winpwn'd this past friday night. no issues so far and i use beejeebus outta this thing.
    2008-08-12 09:41 AM
    are there any programs that allow you to make the iPhone do reminder beeps/vibrates? One of my biggest gripes. also, is there a list of some of the best homebrew programs of the iPhone? i know cydia has them all in a neat package but i'm sure there are thousands of little programs. how do we know which ones are cheap, ghetto programs and which ones are fantastic and real deal?

also, any of you kids use swirlyMMS? it addresses probably my biggest gripe about the iPhone. was wondering how it worked and if it was reliable

THANKS!
    2008-08-12 10:43 PM
    are there any programs that allow you to make the iPhone do reminder beeps/vibrates? One of my biggest gripes.
    intelliscreen has both for email/sms/voicemails etc

... also, is there a list of some of the best homebrew programs of the iPhone? i know cydia has them all in a neat package but i'm sure there are thousands of little programs. how do we know which ones are cheap, ghetto programs and which ones are fantastic and real deal?
    THANKS!
    some sites ala appleiphoneschool.com does review of apps etc. a quick google will most likely result in satisfying answers as well.
    2008-08-13 07:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD