The easiest way EVER on for windows user to upgrade to 2.1!!
    It worked for me!

From firmware 2.0.2 it works.

STEP 1.
    Download and unzip this custom firmware (Cydia+Installer included):

iPhone 2G firmware 2.1 Clean (Pwnage) (download torrent) - TPB

STEP 2.

Start your iPhone in DMF mode

(Howto: How To Put The iPhone Into DFU Mode)

STEP 3.

Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.

STEP 4.

Hold down the SHIFT key and click on RESTORE!

STEP 5.

Browse for the customized firmware.

STEP 6.

Enjoy

Bro's, there can't be any easier way!
    2008-09-16 12:26 AM
    what itunes are you using: 7.7 or 8? Are you having problems with backup? Does the custom firmware you posted unlock and jailbrek or does it just jailbreak? will I keep my cydia apps?........I know they're a lot of questions it's just that i'm a bit of a noob on a pwned(unlocked a jb) 2.0.2 and am worried about losing my cydia apps.

Thanks!
    2008-09-16 12:50 AM
    y do you have to put the phone in dfu mode ? .. i did it w/o dfu mode .. does it matter ?
    2008-09-16 05:53 AM
    I wouldn't trust a one poster. It needs to be confirmed by a regular in my opinion.
    2008-09-16 05:58 AM
    DFU mode will wipe everything including system files making sure nothing gets left behind to screw anything up. (just don't restore from a backup later to be safe if you run into problems.)

Can you confirm this works bro....I didn't want to take word from someone thats only posted one thing...THIS.
    Last edited by stlcaddie; 2008-09-16 at 06:02 AM.
    2008-09-16 05:58 AM
    there seems to be some good feedback on the torrent site of others who have done it

ive tried it and keep getting errors, but it could be my fault
    Last edited by AboveTheLogic; 2008-09-16 at 06:40 AM.
    2008-09-16 06:13 AM
    there seems to be some good feedback on the torrent site of others who have done it

ive tried it and keep getting errors, but it could be my fault
    I keep getting error (6) too. I'm doing nothing wrong to my knowledge. I even tried from a restore (screen with USB image). No luck. Also, when I restore from my LAST back prior to trying I get the SWOD.

Restored to official 2.1 (...yeah, I know...)

Tried 4 times, same thing.
    2008-09-16 07:05 AM
    what about a 3G firmware?
    Can I do a backup/restore of my regular apps? I dont want to lose my normal settings etc. I can always use the app backup installed from cydia to backup jailbreak apps
    2008-09-16 07:27 AM
    chetto: I'm using iTunes 7.7. If you do a full backup in iTunes before starting the whole prozess, after the upgrading, you can restore your things with iTunes. (Including photos, SMS, AddressBook). And it's unlocked as well.
    Cydia Apps: Yes, I've lost them, but I reinstalled everything after the upgrade. As I heard, there are some tools to backup your Cydia apps.

timmyinpajamas:
    According to my experience, you have to put it in DFU mode.

stlcaddie:
    I understand your concerns, I just want to help the community, since I was sooooo happy to get on 2.1.
    Last edited by motooo; 2008-09-16 at 11:30 AM.
    2008-09-16 11:01 AM
    I'm not sure about the dfu mode but itsbetter than restore in cleaning stuff up. What seemed better was to use the iPhones own erase all contents and settings function. It takes a lot longer but it seemed like a cleaner restore.
    2008-09-16 02:46 PM
    DFU mode will wipe everything including system files making sure nothing gets left behind to screw anything up. (just don't restore from a backup later to be safe if you run into problems.)

Can you confirm this works bro....I didn't want to take word from someone thats only posted one thing...THIS.
    Sorry, I haven't tried this one yet. Was just answering the question about using DFU mode.
    2008-09-16 02:55 PM
    thanks motoooo,you rock
    easiest upgrade ever
    2.1 works great
    took only about 30min
    props for ya
    2008-09-16 03:08 PM
    I'm glad that it worked for you as well.
    Spread the word!
    2008-09-16 03:38 PM
    If you get errors when trying to shift restore, try this other method to force the phone into a white screen state. (then it will work)

Here ~> http://www.modmyi.com/forums/pwnage/...-1600-yay.html
    2008-09-17 08:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.