User Tag List

First, I think the developers have created some awesome jailbreaks and 3rd party apps...I've used them since day one.

Second, Apple gets credit for 2.1 firmware which almost brings the iPhone 3G performance to the level of the original iPhone.

I’ve methodically installed and tested performance after each application to see the effect.

RESULTS:
    1). Jailbreaking with QuickPwn or Pwnage Tool does not impact performance.
    2). Performance hits come solely from 3rd party apps.

Of the apps I tested these have the largest impact on performance:

WinterBoard -
    This apps is almost the sole reason I jailbreak, however, it has the most significant impact on system performance. After installing Winterboard, (without applying any themes):
    - Increased lag in opening apps - 1-2 seconds
    - Noticable keyboard lag
    - Slow screen transitions
    - Shutdown time goes from 5 seconds to 50 seconds
    - Startup time goes from 20 seconds to over a minute

BigBoss Prefs -
    One of my favorite apps “BigBoss Prefs” easily quadruples shutdown time. Unfortunately, uninstalling does not undo the damage.

I'm not a developer but it appears these apps are running background processes and/or impacting file system verification.

While i luv the app it literally negates all performance gains achieved with 2.1 firmware release.

Jay (saurik) are there options to avoid the performance impacts, even if it means turning off some enduser safeguards?
    2008-09-16 05:28 PM
    My battery life is very noticeably shorter after installing BossPrefs. Similiar to what your saying, the problem doesn't seem to go away after simply uninstalling it. Afrer restoring and never installing it again though I've had no battery life issues.
    2008-09-16 07:58 PM
    I have noticed that whether its Winterboard or Customize when I used it, skinning myiphone made all the menus just a bit slower.

I have noticed that Boss Prefs, one of my favorite apps, seemed to interfere with my signal in 2.0.2. I did install it on 2.1 so i could use the permissions fix so far so good on 2.1
    2008-09-16 10:37 PM
    Something is eating resources or making the OS work harder.
    I think the old Services app would let you see and kill processes.

Does anyone know if there are daemons running with either Winterboard or Boss Prefs?
    2008-09-17 12:18 AM
    With yesterday's update to Winterboard a few performance bottlenecks were improved:
    - Shutdown time has returned to 5 seconds or less.
    - Startup time is around 30 seconds.
    - Winterboard app is now extremely fast.
    - Keyboard lag seems to be gone.

Opening apps continue to have increased lag time of 2-4 seconds (especially SMS).

Thanks to Jay for addressing most of the performance issues in Winterboard.
    This was a great update.

I will also ask BigBoss if there is a way to enhance Boss Prefs or reverse it's performance impact. Well see, it may not be a priority for him.
    2008-09-18 04:03 PM
    Ill take the few seconds lag, I think its a small price to pay for making it look so much better.
    So long, and thanks for all the fish
    2008-09-18 04:30 PM
    Any program that could cause your iphone's lock screen to freeze up occasionally?
    2008-09-18 05:01 PM
    i dont know if this has anything to do with winterboard or anything else but sometimes the vibration strength lessens (not as strong) as it usually is, then i reboot and then everything is fine, then maybe a few days later the strength lessens. This happened before i upgraded to 2.1 from 2.0.1 so im thinking its a hardware issue. Has anyone else ran into this?
    waiting on my iPhone 6+
    2008-09-18 05:21 PM
    Chefanim, I agree, but this about full disclosure.

I noticed some developers note the performance impact their app will have:
    example - AT Theme and recently Winterboard.

With so many apps this could have a cumulative effect.
    But, it's more important to know if your going to take a substantial performance hit from a single application.

This becomes critical information to disclose when the impact is irreversible without doing a complete restore.
    2008-09-18 05:45 PM
    My battery life with 2.1 is significantly worse with the exact same apps/settings installed as I had in 2.0.2 with no problems at all. Viewing my usage stats, they almost always show usage and standby stats are identical, or, at least, usage is much much higher than it should be. With insomnia/ssh/top I've found that it's the mediaserverd process that is constantly running when it shouldn't be, using around 3% cpu time. I have no clue why this is. I've been trying to track it down, but I can't. It doesn't seem to be related to any particular app or anything. I also haven't found a reliable way to avoid it. I was thinking it's related to winterboard or bossprefs, but I have no idea. This week I think I'll try removing winterboard to see if it improves, but after reading here it seems that possibly it's bossprefs and irreversible (currently) which sucks. It also could be dock or quickgold I suppose too.

It also doesn't seem like everyone is affected, which is weird.
    Last edited by pj_rage; 2008-09-22 at 02:31 AM.
    2008-09-22 02:24 AM
    I notice the same problem since 2.1 came out for now I'm avoiding winterboard. Has anybody notice hang when opening 3rd party apps (Mostly when over 60)
    2008-09-22 05:58 AM
    I notice the same problem since 2.1 came out for now I'm avoiding winterboard. Has anybody notice hang when opening 3rd party apps (Mostly when over 60)
    Which problem do you notice... sluggish app opening or reduced battery life?

Pretty much all of my apps are a little sluggish to open, but I honestly don't think they are much worse than 2.0.2 was (jailbroken). I don't remember how fast they opened on 2.0.2 without the jailbreak/winterboard, and I didn't give 2.1 very long non-jailbroken/non-winterboard, so I don't have much basis for comparison, but the amount of time doesn't bother me too much anyway.

How is winterboard causing this sluggishness anyway? I thought it is basically just a front end for replacing system files with different ones? I didn't think anything was "running in the background" so to speak. I mean, what would happen if you uninstalled winterboard and just replaced the artwork files yourself, would there still be a performance hit?
    2008-09-22 12:16 PM
    Sluggish apps all around but I do have much more reliable signal in 2.1 I only have. The thing is 2.1 worked great even with Winterboard and five icon dock until some Cydia updates last week.

Just rebooted my phone and it opened right to my springboard and not to the lock screen. Odd. It also will not connect to my wifi after full reboot unless I manually connect in settings. I have restored at least 4 or 5 times. So far the best results Ihave had was to use the latest Quickpwn for windows and install Open SSH from installer and not Cydia. Cydia will then notify that it has upgrades to Open SSL and 2 others (forget which) but when I installed them the problems reoccurred.

The most annoying problem is the fact that it seems that SSH/SSL will not stay functional consistently, I feel this is somehow related.

I also agree that the issues seem culmulative. After restore and jailbreak things seem great, yet after making various updates the functionality declines rapidly. Its as if the iPhone wants to remain un-jailbroken or at least unskinned, the very reason i still jailbreak my iphone. Along with not being able to connect on SSH, wifi wont work either even if it says I'm connected and all settings show in wifi settings.

Just discovered something regarding SSH. No mateer how many tries i could not connect to SSH this morning since rebooting my iPhone and PC and laptop. Well I plugged myiPhone into itunes and let it be recognized and low and behold, I was able to connect in Win SCP! i can also now connect on the other PC that I didnt even connect to iTunes on. WTF? iTunes is doing something to network connectivity?

I'm just a diagnostician, not a programmer, hope this helps some of you developers figure out whats up.
    2008-09-22 12:46 PM
    Sluggish apps all around but I do have much more reliable signal in 2.1 I only have. The thing is 2.1 worked great even with Winterboard and five icon dock until some Cydia updates last week.

Just rebooted my phone and it opened right to my springboard and not to the lock screen. Odd. It also will not connect to my wifi after full reboot unless I manually connect in settings. I have restored at least 4 or 5 times. So far the best results Ihave had was to use the latest Quickpwn for windows and install Open SSH from installer and not Cydia. Cydia will then notify that it has upgrades to Open SSL and 2 others (forget which) but when I installed them the problems reoccurred.

The most annoying problem is the fact that it seems that SSH/SSL will not stay functional consistently, I feel this is somehow related.

I also agree that the issues seem culmulative. After restore and jailbreak things seem great, yet after making various updates the functionality declines rapidly. Its as if the iPhone wants to remain un-jailbroken or at least unskinned, the very reason i still jailbreak my iphone. Along with not being able to connect on SSH, wifi wont work either even if it says I'm connected and all settings show in wifi settings.

Just discovered something regarding SSH. No mateer how many tries i could not connect to SSH this morning since rebooting my iPhone and PC and laptop. Well I plugged myiPhone into itunes and let it be recognized and low and behold, I was able to connect in Win SCP! i can also now connect on the other PC that I didnt even connect to iTunes on. WTF? iTunes is doing something to network connectivity?

I'm just a diagnostician, not a programmer, hope this helps some of you developers figure out whats up.
    FWIW, my SSH has been working perfectly on 2.1. My wifi has also been OK as far as I can tell. There might have been one time that it was set to off when I don't remember telling it to go off, but I didn't think much of it as I think the same thing happened occasionally on 2.0.2.

I think my phone boots to springboard also, but I never pay any attention. It's not supposed to do this?

Is there any place that Jay posts to regularly about this sort of thing? A blog or something? His blog doesn't seem to get updates, but I'd sure love to hear about stuff like "hey, I know there's a problem with XXX that I'm working on to fix the sluggish app opening," or, "I think apple did XXX which is affecting battery life." He seems to have a great understanding of the phone, and I'd love to keep up with what he's working on. I don't have access to irc all day to keep up with it, but maybe that's the only place he uses?
    Last edited by pj_rage; 2008-09-22 at 12:54 PM.
    2008-09-22 12:52 PM
    I just rebooted my iphone and ssh connected. I am wondering if it has something to do with a combination on updating certain programs in Cydia and rebooting the pc. My problems all started with an update of "mobile substrate" through Cydia. Although I'm not wondering if its permissions connected. But why when the connection issue occurs does plugging ointo itunes fix it even without a sync?

One more thing, it seems like when this problem starts, the iphone/itunes does not want to sync updates to app store apps.

Perhaps its a function of the itunes 8 recognizing jailbroken firmware?
    2008-09-22 12:57 PM
    I just rebooted my iphone and ssh connected. I am wondering if it has something to do with a combination on updating certain programs in Cydia and rebooting the pc. My problems all started with an update of "mobile substrate" through Cydia. Although I'm not wondering if its permissions connected. But why when the connection issue occurs does plugging ointo itunes fix it even without a sync?

One more thing, it seems like when this problem starts, the iphone/itunes does not want to sync updates to app store apps.

Perhaps its a function of the itunes 8 recognizing jailbroken firmware?
    I don't think I've connected my phone to the computer once since jailbreaking 2.1. I'm not sure what affect itunes and the usb has on the phone that would help/hurt SSH or anything else for that matter.
    2008-09-22 01:05 PM
    before JBing my 2.1, I noticed the phone crashed mostly when I was listening to music while using another app. 2.1 is so much better than previous crap, especially regarding keyboard lag, since in my case I'm using 3 languages plus the Japanese "cellphone" keyboard.
    Since JBing and theming my 3G, I've notice a significant, although worth it, overall lag, especially since installing the "illuminated" wallpaper (8 pics changing every 3 hours). BUT, to be honest, I'm wondering whether Cydia itself might not be the source of the lag, since I don't have SSH, haven't used Boss yet and because cydia is crashing one time out of three when I install stuff.
    2008-09-22 01:15 PM
    before JBing my 2.1, I noticed the phone crashed mostly when I was listening to music while using another app. 2.1 is so much better than previous crap, especially regarding keyboard lag, since in my case I'm using 3 languages plus the Japanese "cellphone" keyboard.
    Since JBing and theming my 3G, I've notice a significant, although worth it, overall lag, especially since installing the "illuminated" wallpaper (8 pics changing every 3 hours). BUT, to be honest, I'm wondering whether Cydia itself might not be the source of the lag, since I don't have SSH, haven't used Boss yet and because cydia is crashing one time out of three when I install stuff.
    Totally agree with you on the 2.1 being better than 2.0.2 regarding crashing, etc. My phone works so much better on 2.1 than previous firmwares, even with the lag that jailbreaking/winterboard supposedly causes (supposedly because I didn't stay on 2.1 enough to confirm it personally). I definitely experience MUCH MUCH better signal on 3g, AND 3g actually works like it did on 2.0 and 2.0.1 (2.0.2 made 3g have signal but not load data pretty much all of the time, for me).

My only gripe is the mediaserverd process going rogue half the time and running my battery down faster than it should. It's not like it's using a ton of CPU time, only 3%, so instead of using basically no battery life in airplane mode, it uses like 2.5% per hour. So 5 hours in airplane mode and not using it, without mediaserverd running rogue, yields MAYBE 1% battery change, but usually just stays the same number However, with 5 hours of mediaserverd running rogue in airplane mode, without using the phone, the battery is down by around 12.5-13%. So even if I leave the phone in airplane mode all day, don't use it at all, after a 12 hour day, it's at like 70-75% And my usage stats are way up (and wrong).
    2008-09-22 01:29 PM
    I don't think I've connected my phone to the computer once since jailbreaking 2.1. I'm not sure what affect itunes and the usb has on the phone that would help/hurt SSH or anything else for that matter.
    Beats the heck out of me as well what itunes would have to do with wifi/SSH.

I remember having an issue with mediaserverd running on my 2G iphone and eating my battery. I installed Respring and got in the habit of respringing after using my iphone and that seemed to kill any rogue processes running.

Just curious.
    Which JB method did you use?

What apps do you have installed?
    2008-09-22 04:15 PM
    Beats the heck out of me as well what itunes would have to do with wifi/SSH.

I remember having an issue with mediaserverd running on my 2G iphone and eating my battery. I installed Respring and got in the habit of respringing after using my iphone and that seemed to kill any rogue processes running.

Just curious.
    Which JB method did you use?

What apps do you have installed?
    I followed pretty much the same method that everyone with windows did (to my knowledge) who jailbroke 2.1 before quickpwn and winpwn were officially out for it. Upgrade to 2.1, uninstall itunes 8, run quickpwn with the 2.1 firmware, copy over the cracked mobileinstallation framework and delete the cache file using t pot.

I have a bunch of apps installed. A solid 40 app store apps I'm guessing, and a bunch of cydia stuff. They are the exact same apps to the T that I had on 2.0.2 without any problems. I ran a script to list all installed packages to a file (all cydia apps), and then installed them all in one fell swoop after the upgrade using the file with the installed packages listed. So I know they are the same as before the upgrade. Either way, the only ones I can think of that might be able to cause this problem would be Cydia, Winterboard, Bossprefs, Dock, and Quick Gold. As I think I mentioned, it seems that others out there with non-jailbroken phones have been having a problem very similar to mine since upgrading to 2.1 where the usage number is way higher than it should be, and the battery is draining faster than ever. Since they aren't jailbroken, they can't check the mediaserverd process to see if it's the same problem as me, but also, it sort of makes me rule out any jailbroken apps. But my problem could still be different, so I haven't completely ruled out jailbroken apps just yet.

On another note, some sort-of good news - Last night, while mediaserverd was running rogue while the phone was "sleeping" with insomnia on, I killed the process, and it immediately popped back up, but this time using 0% as it should be. And I haven't been able to get it to go rogue since. I individually opened all of the apps I know I've used recently and had the problem afterward, and then put the phone back to sleep and watched mediaserverd shut down properly. I can't imagine that killing the process and letting it restart could have "fixed" it but even still I haven't been able to replicate it yet no matter how hard I try. I'm sure it'll come back randomly as it always does, but it hasn't yet. I even tried restarting the phone and it still hasn't gone rogue. I was hoping to find a particular action or app that was causing the problem, but to no avail yet. At least now I know how to stop the problem if it comes back... I should be able to just use mobileterminal to kill it if I know it's misbehaving.
    2008-09-22 05:46 PM
61 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD