A friend of mine has a legit At&t iPhone that is currently locked and not jailbroken on firmware 2.1. He would like me to help him jailbreak and unlock it. Both of us have windows computers and I'm not sure how to go about unlocking it. With my iPhone, I was JB and unlocked on 2.0.2 and all I had to do was sync my iPhone then restore to the custom 2.1. His doesn't take the custom firmware I guess because he's never been pwned. Any suggestions?
    2008-09-19 03:31 PM
    Restore to firmware 2.1 and then use Quickpwn to jailbreak. After that connect to wi-fi and download bootneuter from cydia to unlock.

Option 2: Download a pre-made custom built 2.1 firmware file that has the unlock built in and DFU restore in iTunes 8. Do a search and you'll find a thread to download one.
    2008-09-19 03:38 PM
    quickpwn isnt released for 2.1 on pc yet is it?
    2008-09-19 03:58 PM
    no its not. I cant quick pwn 2.1. And I tried restoring to the custom firmware. Since this phone has never been pwned before, it doesn't work.
    2008-09-19 04:00 PM
    There is a small bit of work involved. First, download a custom ipsw. you will be able to find it on the forums (willy something is the name of the guy who uplads them) Once you have done this load winpwn 2.5 and let it make a custom ipsw for 2.0.2 or really whatever firm you want (you get to choose from 2.0 2.0.1 and 2.0.2) Once that is done it will give you instructions to boot into dfu mode... do that. As soon as your screen turns white with winpwn (a few seconds after pressing the home button down) kill the process (winpwn) on windows. This will cause your phone to look frozen on the white screen, this is what you want. If the phone isn't frozen on this white screen this will not work. once your phone is on the white screen, restore to your custom ipsw using itunes 8.

NOTE: You may not be able to shift+restore itunes 8. That isn't a huge issue. Just browse to your iphone firmware folder and delete the apple downloaded 2.1 firm and rename the custom firm to exactly what apple called it. Just drop that file in the folder and itunes will automatically load it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings
    2008-09-19 04:16 PM
    I actually got it to work another way. I used quickpwn and tried pwning it back to 2.0.2. It said it went through ok but after it was complete the phone was on 2.1 and it wasn't unlocked or even jailbroken. Luckily though, the phone had now been pwned. So I did a restore to the custom 2.1 ipsw and since the phone had been pwned, it went through and is now unlocked and jailbroken.

thanks though, and hope this helps someone else

edit: and just for all of your reference, I am on itunes 8.
    2008-09-19 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD