Did you mean restarting your computer, PC or MAC?
    No, I did mean restoring my iPhone from iTunes on both my PC and Mac, but again, I fixed it all by using redsn0w
    2009-06-22 10:52 PM
    I had a pwnd 3G running 2.2.1... everything fine.

I downloaded the 3.0 firmware and the new pwnage tool under expert mode. Created a custom ispw with some boss pref tools, iblacklist, etc.

I then launched itunes 8.2, option clicked restore, chose the custom ipsw, and upgraded firmware on iphone.

Phone would not activate... I bought this phone in HongKong and it is factory unlocked.

I then reloaded factory 3.0, and the phone activated.

I then used simple mode, and jailbroke 3.0 successfully, except:

GPS won't work
    I have no tether option under Network
    I don't have the battery percentage at the top.
    MMS function in messages didn't take.

I rebooted the phone, and got the mms capability, but not the other functions.

My friend had a phone running 2.2.1 as well. I upgraded to the factory 3.0, and tether, battery percentage, and gps all works. I did not jailbreak yet.

I tried to downgrade my phone to 2.2.1 again to hopefully upgrade to factory 3.0 and then jailbreak, but can't downgrade due to 1601 error.

Currently, I put in DFU mode and am trying to factory restore 3.0 using a PC.

I have a feeling that I will still not have tethering, gps, battery percentage, etc.

Did I close off these funtions in my phone by not upgrading and then jailbreaking.?.. I just went straight to the custom ispw.

Now I'm stuck with 3.0 without full 3.0 functionality. What can I do?

just used PC to restore to factory 3.0. I still have no tether function, no battery percentage, and gps doesnt work.

Can anyone help me here?

------

OK... I know what's going on here.

I installed a fresh version of 3.0 and jailbreak using pwnagetool under simple mode to build the ipsw.

Jailbroke phone successfully.

When I previously used redsnow to jailbreak, I couldn't load Cydia essential updates due to an error in the code for a duplicate name reference somewhere around line 29.

Simplemode worked.

MMS is contingent upon your sim card and carrier. When I didn't load the APN settings under Network prefs, I didn't have any MMS function (no camera) in the messages app. Once I added the mmsc, apn, etc. and rebooted, I got the camera in messages (hurray).

Tethering still does not work. However, when I put my friend's sim card in using another carrier, I get the function. So, this is carrier dependent.

Using the ipsw built with simplemode in pwnagetool, I was able to upgrade essential in cydia, and was able to install boss prefs, open ssh, iblacklist, etc. NO PROBLEMS.

GPS works as well now.

I'll shut up now. It has been 3 days of hell, but I'm satisfied now that I actually know what I'm doing.

loading all my sh*t now!

Mobile me pretty much rocks now.
    And iBlacklist is ***priceless****.
    Last edited by beamesmar; 2009-06-23 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-23 01:53 PM
    My bad tigga. Mine asked to update carriers settings not baseband. I'll also add that pwnage never worked it always glinched out when I finally got it working. Redsnow worked first try. No glinches so far. I am now having trouble with my Bluetooth earpiece. The wifi also acts funny too.
    2009-06-24 02:40 AM
    I've had 2 springboard crashes to safemode after phone calls. restart, and everything is ok.

It is funny... if any other device in my life's experience gave me this much trouble, I'd pitch it.

iPhone is an addiction... troubleshooting, modding, beating the system.... what a rush!

---------

Just found another issue. Manually dialed calls do not show up in the recents list.

This is a pain if you want to add a recent manually typed phone number to the contact list.
    Last edited by beamesmar; 2009-06-25 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-06-25 06:50 AM
    I've had 2 springboard crashes to safemode after phone calls. restart, and everything is ok.

It is funny... if any other device in my life's experience gave me this much trouble, I'd pitch it.

iPhone is an addiction... troubleshooting, modding, beating the system.... what a rush!

---------

Just found another issue. Manually dialed calls do not show up in the recents list.

This is a pain if you want to add a recent manually typed phone number to the contact list.

sooo true
    2009-06-25 07:49 AM
25 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD