So, I updated my JB 3.0 to JB 3.1, and everything went perfect. As soon as my phone was activated in itunes it offered me a carrier update (.ipcc) so I said OK and let it install. It gave me the AT&T 5.5 carrier file (which is what I was already using on 3.0 to enable MMS). MMS no longer worked after that. I have done a Shift + Update to the 5.5 ipcc I downloaded from apple on the 25th of Sept, still no MMS. The weirdest thing to me is, it won't give me a send error, it will just sit there with the "Sending..." notice forever. Just to see how long it would sit there, this morning I tried sending one, putting my phone down and driving home (45 minute drive or so). When I got home it still said "Sending..." Another weird thing is if I hit the home button during this process to mess with a different app, then go back to check the progress, the picture disappears from the SMS screen. Still says "Sending..." and if I hit edit, I can select and delete the message , but it looks basically like an empty spot in the conversation flow. If I just put the phone to sleep straight from SMS, then go back in, the picture still shows.

here's to hoping that all that ^^^ made sense, and that someone might have some insight for me.
    2009-10-04 06:16 AM
    EXACT same thing is happening to me.. just spent an hour on the phone with AT&T to find out if there is an outage and there is not. Have tried reseting network settings, soft reset, disabling MobileSubstrate, Rock Extensions.. EVERYTHING...

3G(s) pwnage 3.0 to 3.1 - btw
    Last edited by garetpaddack; 2009-10-06 at 12:54 AM.
    2009-10-06 12:37 AM
    Same thing happened to me. I had to install the 5.1 AT&T Carrier update from HowTo: MMS on an AT&T iPhone 3G/3GS with OS X | BenM.at It now works perefectly now. Now the only annoyance is when I sync it with itunes it will ask me if i want to update carrier, just say no and u will be fine. At first i did upgrade which brought me to carrier access 5.5 but my mms would stop working so i reinstalled 5.1 again. This is a temporary fix until someone figures out how to get 5.5 with the mms still working. I also dont know or see a difference between the 5.5 and the 5.1
    2009-10-06 01:19 AM
    5.1 trick above didn't work for me.. ended up restoring with my custom 3.1 firmware and accepted 5.5 ipcc update. MMS works again. I'm thinking it's a conflict with one of the MANY other JB apps I have installed... Will update if I find out what's causing it.
    2009-10-06 04:37 AM
    yea the firmware update doesnt include the carrier update. So after you do the firmware update you then have to do the carrier update. Should be 5.5
    2009-10-06 02:58 PM
    I'm wondering if it's a conflict with the sms.db file... Using DiskAid, I pulled out the sms.db file (from pwned 3.0) before I did my 3.1 restore. After successfully restoring to pwned 3.1, I added the sms.db file back.

Then I started experiencing issues with MMS

After restoring to a fresh, pwned 3.1, I DID NOT add the sms.db file back and everything is working fine.
    2009-10-07 06:48 PM
    I'm wondering if it's a conflict with the sms.db file... Using DiskAid, I pulled out the sms.db file (from pwned 3.0) before I did my 3.1 restore. After successfully restoring to pwned 3.1, I added the sms.db file back.

Then I started experiencing issues with MMS

After restoring to a fresh, pwned 3.1, I DID NOT add the sms.db file back and everything is working fine.
    I have pretty much reached that same conclusion myself. It's gotta be permissions related though, cuz if I manually copy the SMS folder back to the phone, i have problems. But restoring from a backup there is no problems. Anyone know what the permissions are supposed to be for these files?
    2009-10-07 07:09 PM
    Are you restoring from a back up or restoring as a new phone after the JB when you connect to Itunes. The reason I ask is that after I jailbroke my phone I had the same issue. I restored as a new phone and the problems went away. Kind of sucks because if you dont have all of your contacts backed up you may lose some. May be a good next step to try for you.
    2009-10-07 08:32 PM
    the mms issue is definitely due to restoring the SMS folder after a restore. Instead of restoring from a backup on iTunes, just delete PART and the DRAFT folders in the SMS folder and you'll be able to retain all of your text messages and be able to send MMS again. obviously you'll lose the MMS that were sent to you, but you can just sync those to your phone (because you still have the PART folder, where the MMS are located). hope this helps.
    2009-10-08 04:42 AM
    You guys guess what... So I was waiting for MMS to come so it did, and you had to upgrade it to be able to use it...I knew if I upgrade everything I have on my phone will erase(jailbraking) so I read some posts and it said that you can upgrade it and nothin will happen....so I did now I have a 3.1 iPhone 3GS....everything was normal untill I saw after I upgrade t I had no (cydia,rock,winterboard,**********) they were all lost but all the regular apps were there...so I was pretty mad but I guess I have to wait for the Dev Team to their job.....so I was ok now let's see the MMS I go on Messeges to see what the photo button isn't there...so I got even more angry...I went on AT&T.com and read and it said that after you upgrade it you had to restart your phone so I did....and the MMS was there so If anyone wonders why their MMS isn't there or not working just restart your phone!
    2009-10-08 06:06 PM
    so If anyone wonders why their MMS isn't there or not working just restart your phone!
    thaaaanks...

It's too late now, but you didn't have to upgrade or give up your jailbreak to have MMS. Just so you know.
    2009-10-08 06:24 PM
    [QUOTE=relientmt;4986104]the mms issue is definitely due to restoring the SMS folder after a restore. Instead of restoring from a backup on iTunes, just delete PART and the DRAFT folders in the SMS folder and you'll be able to retain all of your text messages and be able to send MMS again./QUOTE]

WOW!!! You solved it. I had almost given up hope on using tmobile MMS on my iphone 3G running on a custom 3.1.2 ipsw.

I had upgraded OS 3.0.1. to OS 3.1.2 and was very happy at first, then I couldnt MMS and I cried uncontrollably. I frantically searched for a solution and everywhere I looked only affirmed that MMS for other carriers like t-mobile had been broken by this OS release.

Finally I stumbled upon your solution and stepped off the windowledge, placed down the bottle of arsenic and removed the anchor from my waist

My two sons who also have iphones will be VERY happy!!

Thanks so much!!! Hope this will help others.
    2009-10-19 10:54 PM
    the mms issue is definitely due to restoring the SMS folder after a restore. Instead of restoring from a backup on iTunes, just delete PART and the DRAFT folders in the SMS folder and you'll be able to retain all of your text messages and be able to send MMS again. obviously you'll lose the MMS that were sent to you, but you can just sync those to your phone (because you still have the PART folder, where the MMS are located). hope this helps.
    I was having the same issue with a MMS hanging at 95% and was reading through this thread. After reading relientmt's post, realized that the issue did happen after I restored my sms folder, so I went in and set the permissions to all the files in \private\var\mobile\library\sms to full read and write values, rebooted my phone, and now MMS is working perfect. It's a permission issue. When you copy the files from the iphone, they automatically get set to read only, and when you copy them back, they are still holding those permissions. Hope it helps you guys out
    2009-11-11 04:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD