User Tag List

Disappointed by SMS inconsistency with my AT&T un-jailbroken iPhone 3G, I finally got around to reading up more on the jailbreak and took some inspiration from the threads that I read; why not jailbreak?

I followed the tutorial video on iclarified for PwnageTool 3.1.5.

I followed the instructions, and had some trouble getting it to build the ipsw. On the third try it worked and I followed the process through to iTunes when the phone was rebooting I got an error msg. I don't recall which error msg it was but I have taken a few numbers since in the process. (1600, 1604 and others). With the 'slide for emergency use' screen.

I then made several attempts, attempted to restore to 3.1.2 & 3.1.3, all processes failing at the reboot while plugged into iTunes.

I then followed the redsn0w tutorial and successfully jailbroke the phone, but still no carrier settings; downloaded Fuzzyband to determine the baseband and bootloader: through which I discovered I could not downgrade the baseband with my current bootloader.
    Bootloader Version: 05.09
    Baseband Version: ICE2-05.12.01
    iPhone OS Version: 3.1.3

at this point I believe the bootloader and related files are the problem

. . . and I continue my crash course in iPhone jailbreaking . . .

I have searched many forums and can not get a clear sense of how to restore my carrier settings.

If the bootloader is the problem how to reset or rewrite that?
    I think the baseband may be ok since I can get on WiFi through Cydia after the redsn0w jailbreak.

I am feeling a bit naive at this point as I may have taken a gullible stroll right into the most recent "upgrade" trap with 3.1.3.

This is my first jailbreak,

Admittedly the only thing that I have read about that I haven't tried is restoring from a different machine, I am currently on a MacBook (though I didn't have the described problems with getting into DFU mode; at least I don't think that I did, was that the problem? Pwnage told me I was in DFU . . )

A different method for running the Pwnage? Methods for tweaking/restoring the bootloader files?

any pointers or suggestions appreciated,

[Oh, I also tried a restore from iTunes back-up after Redsn0w and was able to restore all the files and apps and such . . still no carrier settings or connection . . . I am aware that the iPhone Carrier Settings .ipcc file is in the user/ / iTunes folder not sure how to restore . . . ]

thnx !

latest on the thread of downgrading the bootloader 5.9

[iPhone] iPhone 3G Bootloader 5.8 Compromised
    Last edited by akeala; 2010-03-01 at 01:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-03-01 01:10 AM
    Do you know why PwnageTool kept failing? how did you fix it?

I'm having the same issue. :-(
    2010-03-17 07:46 AM
    If you don't need an unlock, you may update to 3.1.3 (not restore, actually upgrade from iTunes directly) and use the new redsn0w to jailbreak. I assume you're on an iPhone 3G so it is jailbreakable on 3.1.3. Just as long as you don't need the unlock.
    2010-03-17 02:05 PM
    I'm assuming you have a 3G phone.

Just do a fresh restore to 3.1.3 through iTunes. Afterwards, make sure you let iTunes activate the phone before you attempt any jailbreaks. Once it's been activated, use redsn0w 0.9.2 to jailbreak. You can download it from the official site here: redsn0w 0.9.2 [iPhone Dev Team]
    2010-03-17 11:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD