Msftguy jailbreak solution supplies us with a pwnage bundle on his google site. ive recently gotten a mac and im already updated my OS to the 4.0 ios gm with itunes 9.2 beta. I need a little help with what bundles i am to download and how to modify ipwnage to jailbreak my device.

ive had to restore multiple times getting the error 1609 i believe it was. can anyone enlighten me?

many thanks.
    2010-06-09 03:00 PM
    Here are the instructions I followed and it worked with no problems

Jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4 GM with Pwnage Tool | iPhone

This is a similar thread in the general section:

http://modmyi.com/forums/general/713...jailbreak.html

I posted instructions for modifying pwnage on page two I think.
    2010-06-09 05:40 PM
    I'm having trouble with the part where it says

"2. Place data.tar in PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources/CustomPackages/CydiaInstaller.bundle/files/

3. and then open terminal and perform following commands

cd desktop

cd PwnageTool.app/Contents/Resources/CustomPackages/CydiaInstaller.bundle/files/

tar xpvf data.tar
    "

I don't have the "/Files" part? Do I just create it?
    2010-06-10 04:23 AM
    Rightclick cydiainstaller.bundle and browse it. You should see the files directory!
    2010-06-10 05:24 AM
    If you upgraded to the ios4 GM trough itunes your baseband has been updated too and you can not jailbreak your phone untill the dev team comes up with something :-(
    2010-06-10 08:05 AM
    Mad man to see the files. you can add an ext .zip to the end of that bundle so... bundle.zip and you can enter that folder add the data tar file and then edit the ext back to bundle

should work.. i have already updated to 4.0 os gm seed so... im stuck gah.. oh wells at least this new ios is pretty awesome. i can wait 2 weeks for a jailbreak =)
    2010-06-10 08:24 AM
    If you upgraded to the ios4 GM trough itunes your baseband has been updated too and you can not jailbreak your phone untill the dev team comes up with something :-(
    Ok....so even though I followed the tutorials telling me to update the Firmware to the ios4 gm for 3gs first, then update it to the custom firmware, I ruined my chances of jailbreaking?.... Someone needs to make ONE tutorial with the right steps that doesn't contradict themselves. I've been modding things for over 10 years, and never have I seen a community (apple "i" product modders) have so many wrong tutorials. Its just kinda sad. Although I got to say, the modmyi community is a bunch of great people who have helped me out with a lot of useful information. Thank you everyone here on the forums.
    2010-06-10 09:46 AM
    Which tutorial said to update to iOS 4 first, then load the custom firmware?
    2010-06-10 03:30 PM
    Here are the instructions I followed and it worked with no problems

Jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS 4 GM with Pwnage Tool | iPhone
    In this tutorial, the author leaves out the actual iOS 4 restore IPSW that you need, right? I don't see a link to that anywhere, unless the bundle performs double duty? Also, am I going to be forced to login with dev credentials or be locked out of my phone? Or does the jailbreak get rid of that?

Lastly, I have a mac so I can do all these steps, but my PC is where my phone backup is and is the computer I sync it to, and since no iTunes 9.2 exists on PC, if I successfully restore to JB iOS 4 on mac then attempt to restore my backup on my PC am I going to be hit with an error?
    2010-06-10 07:42 PM
    In this tutorial, the author leaves out the actual iOS 4 restore IPSW that you need, right? I don't see a link to that anywhere, unless the bundle performs double duty? Also, am I going to be forced to login with dev credentials or be locked out of my phone? Or does the jailbreak get rid of that?

Lastly, I have a mac so I can do all these steps, but my PC is where my phone backup is and is the computer I sync it to, and since no iTunes 9.2 exists on PC, if I successfully restore to JB iOS 4 on mac then attempt to restore my backup on my PC am I going to be hit with an error?
    Yeah you have to find the IPSW yourself since it is not public (dev build only). You can find it pretty easily by now though, just not on MMI.

I've heard conflicting reports regarding needing to have your UDID registered as a dev device. I have a dev account so I can't tell you if it works without.

Without syncing to 9.2, you can still back it up and restore it (without losing your sync with the PC) by rightclicking on your iPhone in iTunes. If you use OTA contacts/calendar sync using an Exchange server (google account) then it will back those things up there. Mail through exchange (if gmail) or otherwise some type of IMAP will be backed up on server. The only thing you'll lose then will be Apps/Music/Movies which you should be able to get easily. You could even authorize your Mac computer, then transfer purchases from iPhone, and then sync the apps with the Mac so you'll get them back after you restore and sync.

I can confirm that 4.0 requires 9.2. I just checked it on my W7 PC with iTunes 9.1.
    2010-06-10 09:51 PM
    Joker can't you just back up all your phone on your Mac and do a factory restore on your pc using iTunes 9.1 that should return you to 3.13 build and then use comex's spirit to jb ? Or will the baseband be an issue .. Shouldn't be right because if you have a dev account there must be a way for you to return to stock 3.13 legally or I guess if you were jb use your shsh? Pls excuse my run on sentences on a train and don't feel like using proper grammar ....

After being on 3.13 jb then we can use the mod. Pwnage tool right ? If I'm wrong. Please explain thanks .
    2010-06-11 01:15 AM
    Why are us iPhone 3G users being left in the dust. We are left with no solution to upgrade to iOS 4.0 without upgrading our baseband. Everyone is making custom bundles for the 3GS for Pwnage Tool. What about us 3G users that want to give 4.0 a try without the baseband upgrade
    2010-06-11 06:06 AM
    Joker can't you just back up all your phone on your Mac and do a factory restore on your pc using iTunes 9.1 that should return you to 3.13 build and then use comex's spirit to jb ? Or will the baseband be an issue .. Shouldn't be right because if you have a dev account there must be a way for you to return to stock 3.13 legally or I guess if you were jb use your shsh? Pls excuse my run on sentences on a train and don't feel like using proper grammar ....

After being on 3.13 jb then we can use the mod. Pwnage tool right ? If I'm wrong. Please explain thanks .
    I'm not entirely certain about downgrading but it does appear possible, abet you get stuck with the baseband update if you loaded it. I see lots of threads going around about it.

There is some issue regarding loading the custom firmware with a recent baseband. I believe it requires an older one (3GS). If I understand correctly, Spirit does not get you on the "jailbreak train" that lets you load custom firmware. I could be wrong, since I've never used Spirit. It might just be some limitation on the baseband specifically.

3G works differently as you simply update to 4.0 GM then jailbreak it with redsnow. Yes, you get stuck with a baseband update. I'm guessing the dev's are planning to release an unlock for this baseband anyway, so they aren't working on a way to upgrade/jailbreak without baseband update, and everyone else that would be good enough to edit the existing tools to work uses a 3G[s] instead. The focus has always been jailbreaks, not unlocks, so they have a jailbreak for 3G and don't care so much about the unlock. The jailbreak for 3G[s] just happen to keep your unlock as well, though I doubt that they would have cared if it was unlocked.
    2010-06-11 05:28 PM
    Ok....so even though I followed the tutorials telling me to update the Firmware to the ios4 gm for 3gs first, then update it to the custom firmware, I ruined my chances of jailbreaking?.... Someone needs to make ONE tutorial with the right steps that doesn't contradict themselves. I've been modding things for over 10 years, and never have I seen a community (apple "i" product modders) have so many wrong tutorials. Its just kinda sad. Although I got to say, the modmyi community is a bunch of great people who have helped me out with a lot of useful information. Thank you everyone here on the forums.

You either use pwnage tool to make a custom firmware then install that

or

you can find custom firmwares already made for 3gs on the web that include cydia and do not update baseband. For those you just use itunes 9.2 and hold the alt key to choose the restore file to use.

You get screwed if you just let itunes download the file and update the phone by itself with no intervention though normally.
    2010-06-13 07:12 PM
    Why are us iPhone 3G users being left in the dust. We are left with no solution to upgrade to iOS 4.0 without upgrading our baseband. Everyone is making custom bundles for the 3GS for Pwnage Tool. What about us 3G users that want to give 4.0 a try without the baseband upgrade
    Ima let you finish but the 3G[S] is the best iphone of the two ;o

Anyways i went throughout the whole 3.1.3 era without being able to jailbreak/unlock my 3Gs MC, so its about time they leave the 3G and work on the 3Gs, unfortunately this is for mac, windows users step it up plz!! cant stand this mac talk
    2010-06-22 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD