I have a jailbroken 3GS running 3.1 with the old bootrom. My baseband is 04.26.08. I have SHSHs on file with Cydia. I want to jailbreak and unlock 4.0, as well as clear out all my data to prep it to sell.

Should I just do a restore in iTunes, have it update to 4.0 and then use Pwnage tool to jailbreak? What ipsw do I use? And then what should I do to unlock?

Selling it unlocked and jailbroken would probably get me more money on Ebay, right? Or should I just restore to 4.0 in iTunes and let the end user do whatever they want?
    2010-06-25 03:18 AM
    First of all, the Pwnage 4.0 must have some bugs because every cooked IPSW it spits out for me has only gave me errors when trying to use it through itunes. I wouldn't use it all. What i would do would be:

1. Get the latest version of iTunes
    2. Back up and sync iphone to iTunes
    3. Update iphone to IOS 4
    4. Get latest Redsn0w version
    5. Get copy of "iPhone1,2_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw"
    6. Follow instructions on Redsn0w to finish unlock/jailbreak

If you need more help, just give me your iPhone model, your computer OS, and any other specifics needed!
    HoshiGOLean
    2010-06-25 03:32 AM
    Did you even read my original post? I said I have a 3GS - redsn0w 0.9.5. does not work on the 3GS. I also said I want to wipe all the data clean (to re-sell), so why would you suggest backing up and syncing?

Anyone?
    Last edited by markinhifi; 2010-06-25 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-25 06:33 PM
    You said you wanted to jailbreak iPhone 3GS with ios4. I gave you the instructions on how to do that. Redsn0w 5-4 works with 3GS. As far as data wipe, just update to 4.0...jailbreak...plug into iTunes...set up as new phone with no sync.
    2010-06-25 06:52 PM
    He has a 3GS that ipsw is for 3G.
    The only way to get a 3GS to 4.0 jailbroken is using a custom 4.0 FW
    2010-06-25 06:58 PM
    Well that's a simple fix, couldn't he just find the custom fw and restore the phone through iTunes with the custom fw?
    2010-06-25 07:16 PM
    Is it really this complicated that nobody knows exactly what to do? I know it's possible because i've seen JB'd and unlocked 4.0 3GSs on Ebay.
    2010-06-25 07:44 PM
    I think I found your answer. Resources and how to here:

Updated: How To Jailbreak Iphone 3G/3Gs 4.0 & 3.1.3 | Latest Movies Central
    2010-06-25 08:03 PM
    I am gettng headache (lol) reading all replies but no answers for original poster. If i were you google felixbruns you will find the same firmware that you have now for 3GS and download it. Use that same firmware for your iphone 3Gs. What you need to do is force restore by pressing shift key and click restore then locate the firmware you just downloaded and use that. Your iphone will be back to factory state condition and same firmware still. Then when you post it on ebay, kijiji etc. Describe it as unlockable and still with low baseband. Thats a plus when you are selling an iphone trust I sold lot of iphone and I know what to look for too when I am buying one which is old firmware with lower baseband. Goodluck and Hope this answer your question.

Also Redsn0w only works with 3G firmware not 3GS it will not recognize it. If you want to try Sn0wbreeze it might work since you still have the okd bootrom and 4xxx baseband but you will need to download 4.0 firmware to customize with sn0wbreeze.
    Last edited by jon3sh; 2010-06-26 at 01:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-06-26 01:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD