I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this annoying annoying problem with their iPhones.

I've recently upgraded my 3G to 4.1 with PwnageTool. The process was smooth, but now every now and then my iPhone just resets when I try to open apps. I've tried restoring it again. Once as a new restore and once as a restore from a backup.... They both are yielding me to the same problem

Does anyone have a clue as to what can be causing this problem
    2010-10-24 04:11 AM
    Pwnage tools 4.1.2 is out, use this to create another one and restore again.
    2010-10-25 05:24 AM
    Pwnage tools 4.1.2 is out, use this to create another one and restore again.
    Unfortunately I am still experiencing this problem... Looks like it might be hardware related since I'm the only one that it is occurring to.
    2010-10-27 12:27 AM
    It's not a hw error... I'm having this issue too and used version 4.1.2 of pwnage tool on a 10.5 mac. Also there are no info on the net. Anyway iOS 4.2 is at the door and I hope that this issue will be fixed on pwnage. Ciao
    2010-10-29 12:09 AM
    I'm having the same issue. Not only is it acting strange by rebooting, it's also not accepting incoming text messages after 5 minutes on a restart. When I reboot, I get a flood of texts and voicemail notifications. I restored 5 times and nothing fixed it. Thought it was my sim card, nope. Got a new one. It was also draining my battery like crazy.

And no it's not hardware. Downgraded to 4.0 and my iPhone is 100% a-ok again.

Personally, I think it has something to due with Ultrasn0w. Maybe not?

So far-

random reboots
    no incoming texts/calls but outgoing's are fine
    battery drain

I can't find many people experiencing this, so maybe it's a select few.
    When I try to spell Jedi's on my iPhone, it auto-corrects it to Jesus...
    2010-10-29 06:36 AM
    Not having problems with the sms/mms but the battery drains quickly. Not yet downgraded because I'm too lazy and wait for iOS 4.2 jb
    Ciao
    2010-10-29 09:49 AM
    Same issue here - random reboots for no particular reason.

iPhone 3G upgraded from iOS 4.0 to 4.1 using PwnageTool 4.1.2 on Snow Leopard. I'm using an official AT&T SIM card and I only enabled the battery % (not multitasking or wallpaper). I haven't noticed any real big battery drain issues though. I may try and reinstall with none of the additional features and see if that makes a difference. I have not had the SMS/text message issues either.
    2010-11-01 03:41 PM
    I am having this problem too. I have reverted back to the locked OS till I can find a solution. :-/
    2010-11-02 04:14 PM
    I am having this problem too. I have reverted back to the locked OS till I can find a solution. :-/
    Does the locked OS have the issue as well? I was reading over on the Apple Discussion Forums where some people were having their phones replaced under Apple Care if they were still under it - and it seemed like that worked for some but not others.

Also, it was mentioned that you can check in your home folder for the CrashReporter logs... On my MacBook running 10.6 they are in:

<user folder>/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<iphone name>

I was seeing a lot of "Low Memory" logs in there. Seems that may be the issue. I have a 3G with 8G and when I jailbroke with PwnageTool, I did not enable multitasking. Also, reports seem to indicate that it's still an issue in the 4.2 beta.

If the phone doesn't experienced the resets when not jailbroken then that seems to point to either the jailbreak itself or more likely possibly a Cydia app that may have a memory leak. Perhaps WinterBoard or something that runs all the time - regardless of multitasking?
    Last edited by moonchilddave; 2010-11-02 at 04:40 PM.
    2010-11-02 04:38 PM
    It has been a few days and I have not had the problem since reverting back. Before I was having reboots multiple times a day with the new Jailbreak.
    2010-11-02 04:55 PM
    Phew, glad i'm not the only one. I thought it was a hardware error because i have an early 3g (with the 05.08 bootloader) so i figured it was just starting to puke out.

At first it'd happen to me once or twice a week, but now it's been happening more frequently. i launch an app (even when i have nothing in the multitasking bar), it starts to load, then it just crashes to the pwnapple logo.
    2010-11-08 05:26 AM
    I don't think it's related to a jailbreak app. What I did was jailbreak 4.1 and left it plain- no App Store apps and no Cydia apps. After an hour it started to restart and the battery drained down super fast. I think there's a mem leak somewhere and it's in the phone on vanilla startup post-jailbreak. Do I have anything to back this up with? No, but that's what I think.

Like I said, my phone would start doing this right after it says 'Edit Home Screen' on the first reboot on a jailbreak, no apps installed.

I'd love for Musclenerd to hear about this- I know we're not the only ones.

Edit- I also thought it might be my super old sim card (5+years old). Nope. Went in and got a new one and it still happened.
    When I try to spell Jedi's on my iPhone, it auto-corrects it to Jesus...
    2010-11-08 05:26 PM
    I jailbroke my friend's 3G & he is experiencing this as well. No battery drain but random resets galore, has anyone brought this to the attention of the dev team?

Just an FYI, I've tweeted MuscleNerd & Comex about this. If they report anything about the issue I'll post it here.

~Tario70
    Last edited by Tario70; 2010-11-12 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-12 09:58 AM
    Just an FYI to everyone. I found a possible fix for this on, of all places, the apple forums. It seems some people are experiencing this on stock 4.1 & their solution was to turn off "auto-brightness." Doing this worked for the 3G that I jailbroke for my friend & he no longer experiences reboots.

Just thought I'd share as MuscleNerd & Comex have yet to respond to my tweet.

~Tario70
    2010-11-15 09:43 PM
    I've had auto-brightness turned off... Still experiencing the occasional reboots. Maybe not quite as often, but still an issue.
    2010-11-16 02:23 AM
    I've had auto-brightness turned off... Still experiencing the occasional reboots. Maybe not quite as often, but still an issue.
    moonchilddave,

Well I hope it works for others. I knew it wasn't a 100% fix because even on the Apple forums it didn't work for 100% of the people on there with stock firmware.

I Do wish MuscleNerd or Comex would respond to my tweet, but unfortunately they haven't. Perhaps we all need to start tweeting them with the link to this thread to see if they'll look in to this.

~Tario70
    2010-11-16 05:00 AM
    Same issue here.
    iPhone 3G jailbroken iOS 4.1 (with Pwnagetool 4.1.2). I think, its a Problem with Memorymanagement - free ram is under 4 Mb then the iphone will be very slow and then reboots.
    2010-12-14 05:37 PM
    Not sure if this has been solved or not, or if my issue is even the same issue really...

Running a Iphone 3g with baseband 04. something or other

I was running 3.1.x or something, jail broken. I decided to upgrade because i was having issues with battery drain and cydia and allot of other little bugs.

So i used an old ibook to make a custom IPSW 4.1.2 with pwnagetools 4.1.3. I did that, and cydia wouldn't load up, so i couldn't unlock my phone (used to be unlocked with redsn0w, i guess we use ultrasn0w now?). So i couldn't do much with that.

I made another IPSW, either with pwnagetools 4.1.3 or 4.1.2 (had them both loaded up, forgot which one i had clicked on to make it)
    And made a 4.1 custom IPSW, installed it, no problems... Cydia works... But now i am getting random reboots, it'll sit there in a reboot cycle, and sometimes pressing home and sleep in certain combonations will let it boot up ok.

Random reboots suck, but i also sometimes get just a locked black screen, and i cant do anything except power it off and start again.

Sometimes if the phone is asleep and i go to wake it up, it will say to swipe the thing right, and i do, and then it just goes right back to sleep lol. Or it will also throw up the swipe to power off.

Sometimes it just goes to sleep randomly, or will tell me to swipe to power down, also randomly.

Does anyone have any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks alot
    2011-02-13 10:56 PM
    All I can say is that I've upgraded to 4.2.1 with Pwnage 4.1.3 on my iPhone 3G and the random reboots have disappeared for me.
    2011-02-13 11:35 PM
    All I can say is that I've upgraded to 4.2.1 with Pwnage 4.1.3 on my iPhone 3G and the random reboots have disappeared for me.
    Hmm ok,

You didnt have any issue with cydia crashing (or not even loading)
    after you installed 4.2.1?
    2011-02-13 11:37 PM
24 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD