Hi guys,

I've just upgraded using the method from a jb 3.0 but i've lost all of the apps/**********/ etc that I had downloaded before. Is there a way to get them back!?

I did back it up as all my messages/contacts are up to date

cheers

rob
    Dont worry stannie65 itunes dint restore your jailbroken apps from the backup as your appsync modification got deleted from cydia with the jailbreak.

steps-
    1.install appsync 3.1
    2.on the right hand side in itunes right click on your iphone and select restore from backup.
    3.select the backup copy that you had made before the jailbreak.
    4.your apps will get synced with itunes just like old times.

-SCREAMANKIT.

@karabaja

sorry to hear that karabaja but dont worry cheer up as the devteam is free now after the 3.1.2 jailbreak and they have started to focus on unlocking the new 5.x.x baseband...so its just a temporary problem...use your iphone thinking its an iTouch

lemme know if you want any help in the future.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-16 at 01:32 PM.
    2009-10-16 01:08 PM
    hehehe...i'll use it that way for now
    anyway thank you...u helped me a lot
    and i am sure that i am going to be regular on this forum
    i hope that i wouldn't only ask questions
    2009-10-16 01:16 PM
    dude after reading your situation if I am not wrong does your iPhone ask you to insert the official sim? and it does not allow you to access any features?

lemme know.

-SCREAMANKIT
    Hey Screamankit, after I follow the tutorial, I got this problem, how do I fix it? Thanks.
    2009-10-16 02:28 PM
    Hey Screamankit, after I follow the tutorial, I got this problem, how do I fix it? Thanks.
    this means you downloaded a custom firmware 3.1.2 which was not ACTIVATED... now the only way to activate the phone is by inserting the official sim card with which your iphone was purchased ie AT&T or Rogers.
    After inserting the official sim your iphone will be registered within a few seconds after that you will be able to access your iphone features so go to cydia install ultrasn0w and then it will get unlocked.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    2009-10-16 05:31 PM
    Tried an activated FW. I still get the 1604 error.
    2009-10-16 06:16 PM
    this means you downloaded a custom firmware 3.1.2 which was not ACTIVATED... now the only way to activate the phone is by inserting the official sim card with which your iphone was purchased ie AT&T or Rogers.
    After inserting the official sim your iphone will be registered within a few seconds after that you will be able to access your iphone features so go to cydia install ultrasn0w and then it will get unlocked.

-SCREAMANKIT.
    SCREAMANKIT I so hope that you can help me. I'm having a similar issue. I downloaded and installed the nonActivated 3.1.2 firmware and installed it on my 2g. I have a 3GS AT&T account with a fully activated 3G sim and my thoughts were I could swap the genuine ATT sim between the two phones. Well the 2g is stuck at the slide for emergency screen, but my carrier has a full set of bars and showing AT&T. When I connect to itunes of course it wants to activate an already activated sim on a non activated iphone and promps me to set up a regular iphone data plan as oppose to the 3G plan. So I've tried using ireb to allow me to install the ACTIVATED 3.1.2 firmware on my 2G without any luck. I continue to get the 1601 error and itunes continues to pop up and check the iphone. Any help with freeing my 2G would be greatly appreciated. I'm holding off on installing the custume 3.1.2 on my 3GS untill I can get things working smoothly on the 2G.

Thank you,

The 2G phone is a previously JB and Unlocked using RedSnow on 3.1. And when trying to restore to the activated FW itunes gets stuck at "preparing the iphone for restore scree..." and then I get the 1601 error. NOw the phone is stuck on the black screen without powering on of kicking out of DFU mode. I still think I'm confused on the difference bw DFU and recovery mode, it seems to be used so interchangeable among all the sites and post.

UPDATE...

got my hands on iReb 3.1.2....allowed me to do a restore. I really did want to keep the push notification feature, but I suppose I can live without it as long as the phone works...thanks to those that made the custome FW.

SAME QUESTION AS POSTED BELOW. I'M PRETTY SURE FOR MY 3GS WITH AT&T CONTRACT I JUST USE THE UNACTIVATED CUSTOM FW. MY QUESTION IS WILL IT AUTO-ACTIVATE OR DO HAVE TO GO THE THE ITUNES PROCESS AND SPECIFY MY DATA PLAN ALL OVER AGAIN.
    Last edited by ripped53; 2009-10-16 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Question about using UNACTIVATED Custom FW.
    2009-10-16 08:01 PM
    Can someone confirm before I do the wrong thing.
    I have a contract Iphone 3G with 3.0 on O2 unlocked with ultrasnow.

I think I should download unactivated custom firmware 3.1.2, Shift restore from Itunes and then use ultrasnow agaqin to unlock.

Does that sound right?

Thanks for any help.
    2009-10-16 09:43 PM
    im trying to jailbreak my iphone 3g on 3.1.2
    i downloaded the 3.1.2 custome firmware,
    i put it in the correct folder.
    i restarted i tunes but it didnt ask to be updated
    but i thought well maybe it didnt ask because it already is on 3.1.2
    so then i left shift and clicked restore
    selected the custom firmware and it said preparring for restore
    but on my iphone it shows the picture to connect to itunes

was i supposed to enter my iphone into DFU mode?
    or what did i do wrong?
    please help
    thanks
    2009-10-17 04:48 AM
    hi screamankit!
    seems like a lot of people have been getting a lot of help/advice from you. cheers to that!

my question is this: what's the worst thing that can happen should i fail to follow the steps you've laid out?
    i have a 3 gs with 3.1(7c144). i'm almost certain that i'll fcuk up a couple of times before i get what i want and i'm afraid i might render my phone useless.

thanks in advance!
    2009-10-17 05:33 AM
    i try load the custom firmware but getting error 1600
    2009-10-17 07:28 AM

-SCREAMANKIT.
    Actually, what I did afterward was I downloaded the activated version, put my phone in DFU mode, and restore it once again. And it worked. The reason for this is because I do not have AT&T carrier. Anyways, thanks for the tutorial anyway. Cheers.
    2009-10-17 09:16 AM
    I restored with the custom IPSW and every thing worked fine but now it says locked SIM Card and does not unlock when I use my PIN????. So I used another Handy to remove the PIN. Now Itunes says: this phone can not be used for calling. Visit a service provider??? My Iphone was bought open for all providers without contract?
    What shall I do now?? Oh my God...
    Andrea
    2009-10-17 10:28 AM
    Thanks for the tutorial.

I'm new to JBing and have a silly question, do you need to be JB before installing the custom ipsw? My virgin 3gs (never JB) is still on 3.0(7A341) & 04.26.08 bband. I don't need ultrasnow or a carrier unlock as its factory unlocked. If so, should I use redsnow or blackrain to JB 3.0, or update to 3.1.2 before JBing?

Cheers.
    2009-10-17 10:34 AM
    Kudos to Screamankit.

Followed your steps and all works except that i cannot unlock after several tries.

Baseband ver = 04.26.08, and it still showing 04.26.08 after installing ultrasn0w.

Previously was using Redsn0w and was on on firmware 3.0.1 b4 this upgrade.

Can someone shed some light please?

many thanks!
    2009-10-17 02:53 PM
    My Iphone 3G has now been restoring for 30 mins and there is no progress shown on the status bar on the Iphone, how long does it take? Should I just pull the USB lead after an hour?

HELP!!
    2009-10-17 03:21 PM
    Here is my situation being the dumbass that I am.

I upgraded my iPhone 2G 8G from 3.0 Jailbroken to 3.1.2 normal (using iTunes). I don't have an AT & T SIM card or account so my iPhone is basically locked and I cannot enter the Springboard.

Is there any possible way of unlocking it or even accessing the Springboard at this time without the AT & T SIM Card?

Thanks,
    Gulron

Never mind.

After I jailbroke it using BlackRa1n and then put into DFU mode I was able to use the Custom Restore without erroring out.

So happy now.
    Last edited by Gulron; 2009-10-17 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-10-17 10:08 PM
    Just finished updating my 3G to 3.1.2 following these directions. Everything went very easy and now I am re-installing all my Cydia apps. Wish there were a quicker way for that!

Great directions! Thanks for posting for all of us out here in iPhone land!
    2009-10-19 03:31 AM
    thanks for the info
    if i upgrade to this custom firmware would it affect any future jailbreaks/unlock?
    2009-10-19 11:27 AM
    @gadjet0

you are absolutely right.

@ripped53

when you have a contract and the official sim card already inserted in it you just need to connect it to itunes and on your iphone screen it will show you that your iphone is getting registered and activated...just a matter of 4-5 seconds once its done just go to cydia and install ultrasn0w.
    iphone ACTIVATION is done automatically within 4-5 seconds with the official sim card inserted and iphone being connected with itunes...you are not required to do anything manually on itunes to activate it.

im trying to jailbreak my iphone 3g on 3.1.2
    i downloaded the 3.1.2 custome firmware,
    i put it in the correct folder.
    i restarted i tunes but it didnt ask to be updated
    but i thought well maybe it didnt ask because it already is on 3.1.2
    so then i left shift and clicked restore
    selected the custom firmware and it said preparring for restore
    but on my iphone it shows the picture to connect to itunes

was i supposed to enter my iphone into DFU mode?
    or what did i do wrong?
    please help
    thanks
    you havent done anything wrong as it does show the itunes logo with the usb photo in the background and it isnt necessary that it will ask you to update in itunes.

you are not required to enter your phone into DFU mode.

hi screamankit!
    seems like a lot of people have been getting a lot of help/advice from you. cheers to that!

my question is this: what's the worst thing that can happen should i fail to follow the steps you've laid out?
    i have a 3 gs with 3.1(7c144). i'm almost certain that i'll fcuk up a couple of times before i get what i want and i'm afraid i might render my phone useless.

thanks in advance!
    Chai t I have personally JB and unlocked to 3.1.2 following this same method its really simple.It may look difficult but its not.the only thing that was difficult in this entire method was the part where you find the custom 3.1.2 firmware but i have given the source for that with the explanation of selecting either the ACTIVATED one or UNACTIVATED one.chances of messing up very low.just follow the guide its really simple dont try fancy stuff by putting your phone into DFU mode etc. and everything will go smoothly.

Thanks for the tutorial.

I'm new to JBing and have a silly question, do you need to be JB before installing the custom ipsw? My virgin 3gs (never JB) is still on 3.0(7A341) & 04.26.08 bband. I don't need ultrasnow or a carrier unlock as its factory unlocked. If so, should I use redsnow or blackrain to JB 3.0, or update to 3.1.2 before JBing?

Cheers.
    YES you need to be JB to be able to do this... I recommend you to JB 3.0 then to 3.1 and then follow this guide for 3.1.2 recommend you to use redsnow for 3.0 JB then follow my other guide under jailbreaking>redsnow for 3.1 and then this one.

Kudos to Screamankit.

Followed your steps and all works except that i cannot unlock after several tries.

Baseband ver = 04.26.08, and it still showing 04.26.08 after installing ultrasn0w.

Previously was using Redsn0w and was on on firmware 3.0.1 b4 this upgrade.

Can someone shed some light please?

many thanks!

once youve installed ultrasn0w your phone will be unlocked...jus power off and on your phone insert your unofficial carrier sim and it should work.

Just finished updating my 3G to 3.1.2 following these directions. Everything went very easy and now I am re-installing all my Cydia apps. Wish there were a quicker way for that!

Great directions! Thanks for posting for all of us out here in iPhone land!
    you're welcome

thanks for the info
    if i upgrade to this custom firmware would it affect any future jailbreaks/unlock?
    no it will not affect any future jailbreaks/unlock in fact this will help you for the same.
    Last edited by screamankit; 2009-10-19 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-10-19 10:00 PM
    I own a iPhone 3GS (Factory unlocked*). The phone came in my hands with 3.1 firmware and 05.11.07 baseband.

I am not sure of the following things:

a)To jailbreak according to the method mentioned in this thread, I should update to 3.1.2 right?
    b)Also after some googling I read something about the difference between 500 mb cfw and 1GB cfw. Something about the 1GB cfw being better for applications and the 500 mb cfw being good for users who want songs.
    I really didnt understand that bit and plus I want both many applications and songs. Some light here..?
    c)Since my phone doesnt require any unlocking, I am confused as to which cfw I should look for. And if I get a cfw which was created without the activate check in pwnagetool from mac then is it a problem since my phone is factory unlocked.

*According to the dealers here Factory unlocked iPhones are not attached to any carrier and work with any network/sim card, hence these iPhones dont require unlocking which seems true to me cuz if my iPhone was carrier attached my sim wouldnt be working in it atm.

Help would be appreciated. Please shed some light.
    Thank you.
    2009-10-20 02:32 AM
132 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD