User Tag List

I just bought an iPhone with 4.3.5 a few days ago and I followed the instructions at Jailbreak 4.3.5 iOS iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod touch With Redsn0w [Tutorial] | Redmond Pieto perform the tethered jailbreak. Everything worked fine until I had to restart because an app froze. Again, I followed the instructions to reboot it, but Cydia disappeared and I can't get it back. If I follow the process with install cydia checked, I get the apple and the phone won't shut off or do anything. Then if I follow the process again with untethered selected instead, I get into my phone, but Cydia is not there. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.
    2011-09-18 04:34 AM
    iOS 4.3.4 and 4.3.5 can only have tethered jailbreaks, because of the fact that there is no point in finding an untethered jailbreak for them, as iOS 5 is coming soon. You might want to wait until iOS 5 is released, so you can do an untethered jailbreak.
    Last edited by thekirbylover; 2011-09-19 at 06:12 AM.
    2011-09-19 06:09 AM
    i understand that theres only a tethered jailbreak, but shouldnt i stil have cydia, i follwed the instructions to jailbreak?
    2011-09-19 06:50 AM
    So, instead of doing what it says in step 7 of that tutorial you just repeat step 4 and wonder why it doesn't work?

Or are you doing step 7 and it still doesn't work?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2011-09-19 08:20 AM
    So, instead of doing what it says in step 7 of that tutorial you just repeat step 4 and wonder why it doesn't work?

Or are you doing step 7 and it still doesn't work?
    i just did the install cydia then the boot tethered steps still no cydia???
    2011-09-19 04:46 PM
    The download on that Redmond Pie page you are using is actually RedSn0wb3.zip. You want RedSn0w beta 4. The reason why it's not working is you are using the wrong version of RedSn0w.
    2011-09-19 09:45 PM
    ok ill try that thanks
    2011-09-19 09:50 PM
    Step 2 says use RedSn0w 0.9.8b4 - since then b5,b6,b7 and b7b were released before the latest release yesterday of 0.9.9.1
    If you are going to use the betas, please ensure you use the latest one.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.
    2011-09-20 07:39 AM
    If you are going to use the betas, please ensure you use the latest one.
    Okay, it should mention that on the tutorial pages, I just followed the exact instructions (and download links) on the website, I didn't know to look for new versions of the program. So here is what I just did:
    1. Downloaded redsn0w_win_0.9.9b1 (the newest version I found)
    2. Opened the program and chose the option to install Cydia.
    3. Followed the program through to the end where it stated that I must now reboot tethered (at this point I had an apple on my iphone screen)
    4. Clicked the back button and chose "just boot tethered"
    5. Followed the steps again, but at the point where I release the Home button, redsn0w quit working and had to shut down.
    6. Now, every time I open redsn0w and choose 'just boot tethered" I get "redsn0w has stopped working" and it shuts down.
    7. To get my phone to turn back on, I had to go back to the old version of the program and chose 'boot tethered' and now my phone is at least turned on, but still I do not have Cydia!
    2011-09-21 07:21 PM
    Personally I would recomend that people avoid that awful site like the plague, the information is usually either misleasing or just plain wrong.
    Restore your phone and start again with 0.9.9.1 but this is beta software for testing only.
    2011-09-21 07:25 PM
    Make sure you're running redsnow in xp service pack 2 mode and then run redsnow as admin, it'll work then
    2011-09-22 01:49 AM
    Restore the device and do it again. Running it over and over again without restoring won't change the result. If you're sure you're following the steps correctly, and it doesn't work, keep trying until it functions properly. Sometimes persistence is the only thing one can do to achieve the desired result.

Btw, ensure you're using the 4.3.4 ipsw in Redsn0w and not 4.3.5 when doing the jb/installing Cydia process.
    2011-09-22 04:54 AM
    When 4.3 first came out I had this same issue where it installed halfway because of server error and everyone hitting it at the same time, yes I realize this is NOT the case in this scenario my point is it doesn't always work the first time just keep trying, sometimes different computers or different programs will fix the issue, my laptop won't let me update/restore my iPhone but my brothers and my moms will

so try a different computer or program or even operating system as in Mac or Windows the programs run slightly different from Mac to Windows so try that

If this helps please thank me on site if not please reply
    2011-09-22 05:27 AM
    @confucious: I restored the phone and everything went fine, kept my contacts and call/message history, but erased my music and apps. Then I downloaded 0.9.9.1 and chose to install Cydia. Followed the steps and everything went well until it told me to go back and boot tethered. I went back and chose boot tethered but as soon as I followed the "hold power button down then power and home button, etc..." redsn0w stopped working. I got the pop-up saying the program has stopped working and then it closed down. Everytime I open the program and choose just boot tethered, it shuts down. The phone is just a black screen, won't turn on. Should I use an older version of redsn0w, or will that end up with the phone not having Cydia again? I'm not sure what to do next.

@iHacksssssss: Not sure what you mean by xp service pack 2 mode. My computer is running Vista and it's currently the only computer I have access to.
    2011-09-30 05:23 AM
    @iHacksssssss: Nevermind, I figured it out, but it still doesn't work, even with run as administrator checked.
    2011-09-30 06:24 AM
    Try running in XP compatability mode.
    2011-09-30 07:41 AM
    Yes, I did, I checked run as administrator as well as compatibility mode Windows XP (Service Pack 2). That is the only xp option in the drop down list. Still get the error "redsn0w.exe has stopped working" and the program shuts down.
    2011-09-30 04:54 PM
    Okay, so I found a suggestion elsewhere to hold down the power and home buttons for 15-20 seconds to get the phone back on. It worked. I tried redsn0w again and somehow this time it did not stop working. It went through the tethered boot and Cydia is there and working... but the App store and Settings aren't?! If I open settings I get a blank screen for a minute and then it goes back to the home screen. Same with the App store. What the heck? How do I fix this now?
    2011-09-30 09:33 PM
    It seems to have fixed itself, not sure how or why, but everything is working fine and I didn't do anything else. Just needed to sit or something I guess. Thanks for all of the help.
    2011-10-02 01:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD