We have shown you a variety of iPhone 6 Plus cases over the months since the smartphone's launch last year, but one that we've really been looking forward to trying was the Speck Candyshell Grip case. This is a very popular case and has continued to be popular time and time again with many recent iPhone iterations.

We've picked up a black version of the case (my personal favorite!), but keep in mind that there are other color options available. Without further ado, let's show you what the Speck Candyshell Grip is all about, shall we?

This case has the word "Grip" in its name for obvious reasons. As you can see from the rear of the case in the image above, the case is wrapped with a very grippy rubber finish in all four corners and all around the rear of the case. The parts that are not grippy are glossy plastic, which is where the "Candyshell" part of the name comes from.

The case completely covers the rear of the iPhone 6 Plus, exposing nothing except for the rear-facing camera, rear-facing microphone, and rear-facing dual-tone LED flash. This means your iPhone is well protected from scratching and scuffing.

Turning the case over 180 degrees, we can start taking a look at the front:

The case doesn't add any awkward lips or protection to the front of the device – just a bezel that raises the display off of any surface you put your iPhone face-down on. This bezel is made from the same rubberized grippy surface that covers the rear and sides of the case. Because there are no protection, the touch display, ambient light sensor, front-facing camera, proximity sensor, and Touch ID sensor are all accessible without any issues.

With the grippy surface, and the wide-open access to the front of the device, the case feels very solid in our hands and doesn't feel like we would ever drop it by mistake while holding it in our hand. Moreover, the large access to the front of the device allows to a screen protector (if you want one) like the Otterbox Alpha Glass Privacy that we're running on ours.

Here is a closer look at the grips:

The power button on the side of the device is covered by rubber protective material, just like the rubber used for the grips:

The volume buttons also follow suit with the rubberized protective material, and the ringer/silent switch is exposed to the elements, although it's very spacy in there for almost any-size finger:

The buttons' responsiveness through this case's rubberized coating is something that we were surprised with. With many cases out there, you can expect the rubber coating to dampen the clicky feel of the power and volume buttons and make it feel spongy, but Speck has managed to retain the stock-feeling responsiveness of the buttons even while protecting them, so we're very impressed with the button responsiveness through this case.

The final major point of interest with this case is the fitment of accessories through the ports of the device. We're happy to say that the Speck Candyshell Grip offers very large access ports so that you can fit all OEM and many third-party accessories through the holes:

The 3.5mm headphone jack port is massive and will fit most of your third-party headphones and speakers; it also opens up over the bottom-facing microphone to preserve the stock-sounding call quality of your phone calls. The Lightning port on the bottom of the device is also large enough to house your OEM lightning cable, or any of your third-party charging cables that you may have picked up elsewhere. And finally, the speaker grille hole is nice and large to allow all of the sound output a place to escape and be heard by your ears.

The build quality of the case is something that we are very impressed with. When you put your iPhone into the case for the first time, it's relatively difficult to snap in because the case is extremely firm and dense. On the other hand, once it's in, it feels very solid without feeling loose or cheap.

With the button responsiveness exceeding our expectations, the grip of the case feeling secure in our hand, the case feeling minimalistic in design, and the accessibility of third-party accessories being there, we have only two little complaints about the case and that's it – one is that it is that the glossy plastic part of the case is prone to scuffs and scratches (luckily though, our iPhone is protected within and the case takes the grunt instead), and the other is that the grippy rubber can sometimes make it difficult to pull out of and push into your pocket if you're wearing tight jeans.

We're not the only ones that approve of this case either... the Speck Candyshell Grip has exceeded military drop standards and has earned the seal below:

Not only does the case look good, and feel good, but it functions good. We're rating the case with four out of five leaves:

The Speck Candyshell Grip retails on Speck's Web site for $39.99 each and comes in the following color combinations:

• Black and slate gray (pictured in this review)
    • White and black
    • River blue and tahoe blue
    • Lipstick pink and jay blue
    • White and river blue
    • Black and jay blue
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 2015-03-04 at 03:40 AM.
    2015-01-25 08:02 PM
    I had 2 of these cases on 2 iPhone 6's, but had to return them. While they offered great protection they also interfered with the Ghost Armor screen protectors and kept making them bubble up. Presumably because the case was actually covering the edges of the protector or some such. Most protectors don't go out as far as the Ghost though.
    2015-01-27 07:40 PM
    First:
    Stylish? Shame on you.

Second:
    I had this case for the 5 and be careful, it grips on to the fabric of your pants and pulls out your pocket and all the contents.
    2015-01-28 02:55 AM
    First:
    Stylish? Shame on you.

Second:
    I had this case for the 5 and be careful, it grips on to the fabric of your pants and pulls out your pocket and all the contents.
    Shame on who? I've been loving this case, functionally and in terms of its looks, since I first got it. No regrets.

I found that it's not as "grippy" to pants fabric as many of the competing cases I've reviewed, especially that of the Otterbox defender and Otterbox Commuter.
    2015-02-13 12:12 AM
    This case is exactly what I was looking for! Good protection for the entire phone, but doesn't add a lot of bulk to the device. I only experience issues bringing up the control center when I try to do it with one hand. A regular single finger swipe with the phone in my other hand works just fine for me. Same with the notification center from the top of the screen.
    2015-11-27 03:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD