Hi All,

I have a question concerning my iPhone and using the ATT Go Phone plan. I'm unable to find a complete answer, so I'll ask about my specific situation.

My work requires me to go into facilities that won't allow a camera phone, and as all of you know, these days only the lowliest phones come without cameras, which is what I'm stuck with. It doesn't have any PDA functions, music playback, WiFi or really anything else. But, my work pays all my phone bills, even personal, so I can't complain.

But, I purchased an iPhone for personal use, mainly for WiFi access, PDA and music playback functions. It's currently at 1.0.2 and all I've done is the fake activation using Ndependence. But, I would like to use the phone (voice only) functions, but I wouldn't be using it very much. So the pay-as-you-go plan is perfect for me (not the Pre-Paid plan).

How can I add a Go Phone plan to this thing? Do I just go to the ATT store and purchase a Go Phone plan and then change SIMs, or are there other things to consider, or can it even be done?

It may be a dumb question, but I appreciate any advice anyone can give me. THese forums are great, and I've learned a lot from all of you.

Thanks in advance!
    Ted
    2007-10-18 01:43 PM
    Hi All,

I have a question concerning my iPhone and using the ATT Go Phone plan. I'm unable to find a complete answer, so I'll ask about my specific situation.

My work requires me to go into facilities that won't allow a camera phone, and as all of you know, these days only the lowliest phones come without cameras, which is what I'm stuck with. It doesn't have any PDA functions, music playback, WiFi or really anything else. But, my work pays all my phone bills, even personal, so I can't complain.

But, I purchased an iPhone for personal use, mainly for WiFi access, PDA and music playback functions. It's currently at 1.0.2 and all I've done is the fake activation using Ndependence. But, I would like to use the phone (voice only) functions, but I wouldn't be using it very much. So the pay-as-you-go plan is perfect for me (not the Pre-Paid plan).

How can I add a Go Phone plan to this thing? Do I just go to the ATT store and purchase a Go Phone plan and then change SIMs, or are there other things to consider, or can it even be done?

It may be a dumb question, but I appreciate any advice anyone can give me. THese forums are great, and I've learned a lot from all of you.

Thanks in advance!
    Ted
    Two ways to use gophone with the iPhone.

1. Have no credit history so that AT&T puts you on the gophone plan during the normal iPhone activation or.

2. Do like I did. Unlock your iPhone and you can use a gophone sim, however, it is recommended that you disable the Edge data plan as it can get quite dear when it comes to charges.

Don't use the Services.app toggle to disable Edge as it is not dependable. use the following:
    This was posted in a comment over at TUAW, and may work as well.

"It's actually quite easy to turn EDGE off. If you can get access to the files on your phone (through any of the GUI tools available, or via TextEdit on the iPhone), do the following:

1. Open /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist in your editor of choice.

2. Look for the string "apn". This will be followed by "wap.cingular".

3. Delete the "." in "wap.cingular".

4. Restart the phone.

5. When you try to connect via EDGE, it will fail.

6. To reinstate EDGE service, open the file again and insert the "." between "wap" and "cingular", then restart the phone.

I'm sure some enterprising person could write a native iPhone app to do this for you."
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

2007-10-20 02:16 PM
    I'm new to the iphone. I don't see textedit anywhere! AWhere do I find textedit on the iphone?
    Any help is appreciated!
    tbiii

in the posting by frogsobvious, it said to turn off Edge u could use a "GUI tool or via TextEdit on the iPhone". I'm trying to learn how to use 3rd party apps on my iPhone.
    Last edited by tbiii; 2007-10-27 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-27 04:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD