Hey,

Is edge free ? because I just got a call saying i got a bill for $2500 for internet usage. I was pretty confused about what the person was telling me at the time. But I got the part where she said everything is fixed and that I don't have to pay for that bill. She asked me if the phone was unlocked and so on and I said yes. And she told me a whole bunch of junk I didn't understand. Then she said she blocked my internet and that I would have to open a AT&T iphone plan in order to use the internet. But as of now my internet is still working even though she said it was blocked... Can someone please elaborate all this to me. It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    -Stan who is very confused
    2007-11-16 05:45 PM
    Wow, unless you have a data plan attached to your account with AT&T you're going to be charged $0.01 per kb that you download off the internet. So like one 3mb song download would be $30. Most websites these days have a lot of content to download to the internet browser so it would really be easy to rack up a huge bill like yours. Search for the iphone application "Services" to disable edge.
    2007-11-16 05:52 PM
    well.... not really sure whats going on, but edge is not free unless you have a plan. You cant just use the internet and not pay for it in some way. But if she said she turned off your internet and its still working, then thats on her. Hopefully she notated it. You can say they were "supposed" to turn it off if they try and charge you again.
    All is... so Accept and Just Be
    2007-11-16 05:53 PM
    ^ Funny... I always thought EDGE was for free. It was crappy I really wouldn't pay for it. The reason I thought it worked and for free was because my phone was unlocked. And I might just take that risk of using the internet because she said "I blocked your internet, did you notice?".

dslknight. she told me that as well every KB was $0.01. And I browse the internet a whole bunch and downloaded a lot of things on installer apps. I just turned off my edge on this app. I downloaded a while ago, now when i want to turn it back on it says

"Incorrect EDGE settings
    Select your carrier to restore
    AT&T
    T-Mobile Unlimited
    T-Mobile T-zones
    Other"

When I clicked T-Mobile Unlimited it says
    "Confirmation
    restore to t-mobile unlimited?
    confirm dismiss"

Is there anyway I can use EDGE for free ?
    2007-11-16 06:16 PM
    To clarify, EDGE is never free, even with a plan. The plan simply include a set number of MB you're allowed to download per month, but you're still paying for that plan, and if you go over those MB you'll be paying overage charges.

The trickier one is WiFi. WiFi is normally free. But if you connect to a commercial server; like at a stabucks, outside a cafe, in a mall/office, there may be data charges so watch out. And you can rack up Megs of data through WiFi in the blink of an eye.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2007-11-16 06:17 PM
    I think the plan that you had with whatever carrier chanrges internet by the amount of MB that you use. i don't know how much is that. each company has their own rates.
    your internet will always work if you are using WIFI.
    you can always turn of EDGE manually if you have WIFI that way you won't have to worry about it.
    2007-11-16 06:19 PM
    To clarify, EDGE is never free, even with a plan. The plan simply include a set number of MB you're allowed to download per month, but you're still paying for that plan, and if you go over those MB you'll be paying overage charges.

The trickier one is WiFi. WiFi is normally free. But if you connect to a commercial server; like at a stabucks, outside a cafe, in a mall/office, there may be data charges so watch out. And you can rack up Megs of data through WiFi in the blink of an eye.
    wow. you really have a chance of being charged with WiFi ? Well there is a plan for unlimited MB but, I believe she told me it was $30 or $40 and I don't think tax was included ? IMO that is pretty expensive. Why not add $30 or $40 to my internet connection at home and get some super fast internet ? lol
    2007-11-16 06:24 PM
    first, ouch. secondly, internet on any phone company is never free ( or not that ive ever experienced, and ive been through all carriers ). third, why is your phone unlocked if your using AT&T? fourth, what kind of plan did you originally sign up for?
    2007-11-16 06:31 PM
    at&t minimum imedia plan comes with unlimited internet and 200 txt for 19.99
    2007-11-16 07:12 PM
    lol why on earth would you think edge was free? If I were at&t I would have made you pay
    2007-11-16 07:54 PM
    lol why on earth would you think edge was free? If I were at&t I would have made you pay
    Same, nothing is ever free.
    2007-11-17 12:03 AM
    at&t minimum imedia plan comes with unlimited internet and 200 txt for 19.99
    ..... im paying to 60$ deal and getting the same crap... how? im getting unlimited internet 200 txt 450 anytime and 5000 n&w and Rollover... for 60$...
    i wana switch to your plan
    2007-11-19 05:48 PM
    How do you know she was a real AT&T Rep? Did you check her credentials?

EDGE is included in your package and you are paying for it to the tune of 29$ a Mo. unlimited access!
    2007-11-20 01:01 AM
    ^ I really wasn't sure. But it seemed pretty legitimate to me. And Luckily I got the chance to sign up for the iphone plan which only added $20.00 a month (without tax). And I'm very thankful for that. Lesson learned nothing is free. So warning for those who are dumb enough like me to think EDGE is for free... -.-

arthursdomain - I don't know. Just knowing the idea of your phone unlocked seems cooler ? I really don't know lol. why ? is it a bad thing to have your phone unlocked compared to a locked one ?
    2007-11-20 06:04 AM
    ..... im paying to 60$ deal and getting the same crap... how? im getting unlimited internet 200 txt 450 anytime and 5000 n&w and Rollover... for 60$...
    i wana switch to your plan
    Unlimited DATA is $19.99/month. The rest is your VOICE usage. The 450 minutes part

So the combined total is
    $39/month for voice
    $19/month Data
    $59/month total

I've heard of people running up bills higher than $2500 for data. Just because your phone is unlocked doesn't mean you don't use data. And data is never free

You can add all you want to your home internet but that's not going to do squat for your iPhone if you connect to the internet outside the house, WIFI or not
    Je t'aime encore, Roguette
    2007-11-20 06:10 AM
    lol... I kinda wish that at&t offered a T-Zones of sorts. But then again, they're not stupid. I just can't wait for a p2p network tailored for the iPhone, then I will really get my $20 worth
    2007-11-27 09:18 AM
    Holy crap thats alot of money
    Robert C ( aka ) Newb with a Iphone
    2007-11-30 07:08 AM
    hahah well something like this happened to me too...the funny thing when I saw the bill I felt like i was going to die!....hahahahha but did you know that even if your edge is on and still your using WIFI you will GET CHARGE!!!! 1cent per kb
    2007-12-12 09:27 PM
    Jeez and my dad got mad when i went $2 over my bill last year....
    2007-12-15 04:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD