I am an existing customer with AT&T

I am thinking about purchasing an iPhone and jailbreaking it. I was wondering if it is possible to sign up for the iPhone data plan w/o activation in iTunes and use my existing sim.

If so will the Visual Voicemail and other features work?

TIA
    Last edited by chief523; 2007-12-22 at 11:58 PM.
    2007-12-22 11:51 PM
    I have jailbroken a few Iphones for use on business accounts. We cannot get the visual voicemail, but all other applications work fine.

If you purchase the phone, and tell them you want Iphone package, you can actually jailbreak b4 activating, and I believe the new number will never show up. Make sure your current plan has some data package on it and you have a 3G sim card.
    2007-12-23 01:56 AM
    Well I finally broke down and bought the iPhone today (wk48). I have been reading up on it and have found a few threads of people saying to call customer service and they might add the data plan.

Have any of you been able to do this?

TIA
    2007-12-27 12:34 AM
    I had an existing phone number on a business plan with AT&T. I bought my 8GB iPhone right after the price drop with version 1.0.2 firmware(if I remember correctly). I was able to unlock AND jailbreak it and get everything but the visual voicemail working(of course). Well, after a month or two of outrageous Edge data fees, I decided to try and get a data plan. Since the account is not in my name (company account) the boss's wife had to call for me. She slipped up and told the customer service woman that the service was for an iPhone. At this point I got on the phone and played dumb untill she just asked me for the IMEI and the sim#. Then, much to my surprise, when I went to check my voicemail(using the voicemail button), the phone went to the voicemail setup screen ie. password, greeting. So I've ended up with a fully functional iphone on AT&T without a 2 year contract! The funny thing is, our company wanted to get an iPhone plan, but AT&T STILL does not even offer a plan for business. Anyway, my reason sharing is not just to inform others (I have ulterior motives), but I am wondering if anyone else has been able to pull this off either accidentally (like me) or intentionally.
    Anybody???
    2007-12-27 02:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD