im on ipcc carrier 5.0 and i still dont have the lil phone in the text app, any suggestions? also my visual voicemail isnt working. =(
    2009-08-02 11:29 PM
    it dont work!!!
    2009-08-03 02:20 AM
    She only commentd about my iphone registern in her system. But i can say my mms has never worked this long
    Do you have custom settings in your network settings? Also, does your visual voicemail still work?
    2009-08-03 03:11 PM
    well guys i calld at&t and complained about my phone bill and went into this mms situation. the rep i was on the phone with told me that i had all the features to send/receive mms and i told her i couldnt. i told her i was using a razor and she told me that her system showed a iphone then i said it was a mistake. so she never said n e thing bout a mms opt out. she took some time went into features and after a while she sent me mms and it worked.she said soomething about a mms feature that had to activate or something close. now i dont know what she did but i also dont know how long it will work either. I'll keep u guys posted

EDITED: well i havent been able to edit this til now but i did the above and was so excited to be disappointed. it only lasted for a couple hours but it was the best ive had with this phone and it was the longest mms has ever lasted on my phone.
    2009-08-03 08:51 PM
    Hey, it's August already!!! September isn't that far away. Mother AT&T will come through for us, soon!!!
    2009-08-03 09:23 PM
    ^ I hope so however I have lost my confidence in AT&T
    2009-08-03 09:24 PM
    ^ seconded.
    2009-08-03 09:28 PM
    ok so i chatted with ATT (AGAIN). I asked them about how medianet wasn't working for my nokia. went over and over with mms doesn't work with iphone blah blah blah. i said im not using an iphone it's a nokia. so she did something to my account. i have no idea what. but it reset my voicemail. and she said she would have to remove the $30 iphone data plan to get it to work. and what data plan did i want? At this time my coworkers were waiting for me to go to lunch so i said, id have to call back later and closed the window. so for the past two days ive had mms. perfectly. usually with the "old phone sim card" trick it would stop working after the first phone call i made. this time it stuck. i did not have voicemail the whole time though. today i set up my voicemail. and the mms stopped. booooooo.

Through all of this i had my iphone mms network settings set like i stated above. on a family text plan.

i wonder if setting up the voicemail allows att to send messages to my iphone that only iphone can respond to. which then tells them it's an iphone and it disconnects the medianet automatically...

Another day, another try. I had ATT switch my phone in their system from an iphone to my old nokia. Gave them my IMEI number for my nokia. They removed the iphone data plan and added the 15 dollar unlimited regular data plan for the nokia. Set up voicemail working with my nokia. There were a few sim card updates and nokia reboots in there.

Then put the sim card in the iphone. Everything but visual voicemail works. i dont' care about the visual voicemail at this point.
    Last edited by dennipahmah; 2009-08-06 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-06 05:48 PM
    I feel like doing the same thing! Freaking AT&T blows! I never get any voicemail anyway.
    2009-08-07 01:02 AM
    Is it late summer now?
    2009-08-07 05:29 AM
    ok so i chatted with ATT (AGAIN). I asked them about how medianet wasn't working for my nokia. went over and over with mms doesn't work with iphone blah blah blah. i said im not using an iphone it's a nokia. so she did something to my account. i have no idea what. but it reset my voicemail. and she said she would have to remove the $30 iphone data plan to get it to work. and what data plan did i want? At this time my coworkers were waiting for me to go to lunch so i said, id have to call back later and closed the window. so for the past two days ive had mms. perfectly. usually with the "old phone sim card" trick it would stop working after the first phone call i made. this time it stuck. i did not have voicemail the whole time though. today i set up my voicemail. and the mms stopped. booooooo.

Through all of this i had my iphone mms network settings set like i stated above. on a family text plan.

i wonder if setting up the voicemail allows att to send messages to my iphone that only iphone can respond to. which then tells them it's an iphone and it disconnects the medianet automatically...

Another day, another try. I had ATT switch my phone in their system from an iphone to my old nokia. Gave them my IMEI number for my nokia. They removed the iphone data plan and added the 15 dollar unlimited regular data plan for the nokia. Set up voicemail working with my nokia. There were a few sim card updates and nokia reboots in there.

Then put the sim card in the iphone. Everything but visual voicemail works. i dont' care about the visual voicemail at this point.
    I've been thinking the same thing recently. Back in February or so I told ATT (where I worked at the time as well) that I was going to be using a RAZR; that way I could get the $30 bundled internet and messaging, plus the cheaper minute rate plans. Ever since I did this I've heard of "audits" and such that check the IMEI's and change the plan back to a actual iPhone plan. I've not noticed this once, although, when I changed my IMEI I dont know what exactly my buddy did in out system but I didnt have ANY voicemail since then. Thats been totally fine with me, voicemail IMO is pointless seeing as I have a missed call log and texting, so I'm perfectly happy without it; especially if its keeping my plan under the radar.

Though I've been brought to this thread via search because I still cant get MMS to work with my plan. I've finally gotten the camera icon to show up, but it fails sending the picture about 90% through. I've got some razr's laying around I think I'm going to swap the sim into, make a couple calls, send a couple mms, and see if it fixes it.

Quick question though, on a razr and the likes I can MMS one to email to test its sending; on my iPhone when it comes time to test it I dont know anyone with picture messaging right now I could talk to and see if it worked; any testing suggestions?
    2009-08-07 09:36 AM
    Sent the test to yourself. You guys come up with the craziest stuff, voicemail allowing AT&T ... Whatever was said above... Wow you guys are way off medianet does not kick you off because you have an iPhone. I have a 3gs on a medianet unlimited and messaging unlimited plan(notice no iPhone plans) they work no problem. I set it up this way in November on my 3g to get mms with swirly, never had a hiccup or issue with anything since. You have to make sure they register the imei of razr (or whatever phone ur gonna use for this) to the account, they have to do this or you'll end up like most With partial success. Have you called yourself to setup the voicemail? on medianet it will be normal voicemail not visual voicemail but you still recieve notifications of voicemails.

One last question is the Nokia phone your registering mms compatible? Most nokia phones aren't so if it's not mms will not work(this is imei based in AT&T system).
    Last edited by A3gOwner; 2009-08-07 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-07 11:47 AM
    I figured out how to do it without calling att. Your phone has to be jailbroken and unlocked though. I put an active tmobile sim (friends) in my phone went to settings, general, cellular data network(its not there for att sims)... put in the following settings
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username: [email protected]
    Password which is case sensitive: CINGULAR1
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
    put my att sim back in my phone and rebooted (not respring reboot) the phone. I then went into settings messages and enabled mms messaging (which was not there before). then went to the messages and the camera was by the txt bar clicked it and have been sending pics since early this am. The thing I have noticed, if you have Swirly, once you go into swirly, swirly automatically turns off your mms option. SO you have to go back in and turn it back on in settings. I did this for my mom's phone as well and we have been sending messages back since. (it might not sound true but it worked and it beat switching to a razr, and calling and switching data plans.
    2009-08-08 08:14 PM
    Ok, here's a question for all the experts. Due to the economy and a layoff, I had to discontinue my iPhone data plan. I know that defeats the purpose of an iPhone, but one does what one has to do. I can still make calls, and send messages (maybe even MMS in "late summer"). I can still listen to my tunes and play games. And I can still connect to the internet via wifi. All of this without a data plan. The problem is that if I use anything that would normally use a data plan, I get charged $$ for usage.

Does anyone know what applications are tied to the data plan, so I can disable them? Here's what I've done:

Used Settings/General/Restrictions to disable Safari, YouTube, Location, Installing Apps.
    Inactivated my Mail account

Are there any other apps i need to delete.

Thanks bunches.
    2009-08-08 10:45 PM
    ^id jailbreak it, install sb settings and turn off edge and 3g. Actually I would call AT&T tell them to block data on thier end and now u should never get data charges. Then you wouldn't need to restrict anything.
    2009-08-08 11:04 PM
    If you unlock it you can just change 1 letter of your apn setting. This will stop all data from transferring and still be able to use safari etc. on wifi. Then if you accidently try to use an app that uses data it won't let you connect.

There also is other ways to change the apn. You can search the threads or try unlockit web site.

you have to modify your carrier.plist file to have the availabity to access your apn settings, after a bit of searching I was able to find a post on it. Google "allowedgeedit"
    Last edited by wasarokr; 2009-08-09 at 12:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-08-09 12:05 AM
    I figured out how to do it without calling att. Your phone has to be jailbroken and unlocked though. I put an active tmobile sim (friends) in my phone went to settings, general, cellular data network(its not there for att sims)... put in the following settings
    APN: wap.cingular
    Username: [email protected]
    Password which is case sensitive: CINGULAR1
    MMSC: mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.32
    put my att sim back in my phone and rebooted (not respring reboot) the phone. I then went into settings messages and enabled mms messaging (which was not there before). then went to the messages and the camera was by the txt bar clicked it and have been sending pics since early this am. The thing I have noticed, if you have Swirly, once you go into swirly, swirly automatically turns off your mms option. SO you have to go back in and turn it back on in settings. I did this for my mom's phone as well and we have been sending messages back since. (it might not sound true but it worked and it beat switching to a razr, and calling and switching data plans.
    Followed all your steps. Phone was already JB. Unlocked it and used a tmobile sim and was able to make and receive calls, so I know the unlock was successful. Cellular data network was now there. Put in the settings, put in att sim, rebooted. Turned on MMS. Camera was now there, so I took a picture and sent it. Sending failed about 80% through. Camera is still there, but cellular data network has disappeared as an option.

All said, it didn't work for me. Still waiting on AT&T for the upgrade.
    2009-08-09 06:29 PM
    Followed all your steps. Phone was already JB. Unlocked it and used a tmobile sim and was able to make and receive calls, so I know the unlock was successful. Cellular data network was now there. Put in the settings, put in att sim, rebooted. Turned on MMS. Camera was now there, so I took a picture and sent it. Sending failed about 80% through. Camera is still there, but cellular data network has disappeared as an option.

All said, it didn't work for me. Still waiting on AT&T for the upgrade.
    Same thing here. I have all the options, but it only goes about
    %80 of the way...
    "Win or lose, I promise you violence"

Wanderlei Silva
    2009-08-10 02:31 AM
    I did it but used the swirly 2.Lasted for a week the first time then only a couple of hours the next.I'm on pre paid plan. att rep says if I upgrade to post paid they garentee my mms will work.
    2009-08-10 03:24 AM
    I can confirm what most are saying:

Update the ipcc with AT&T 5.0, change the Voicemail address to enable VVM, then toss the SIM in a non-iPhone and make a call. Toss the SIM back into the iPhone and MMS will work for up to an hour, then go back to the 90% complete and error out.

Obviously AT&T doesn't want it to work at all, but it still sucks they won't just let those of us smart enough to get this far have our fun. They could consider it a free beta test service.

My VVM and tethering have continued to work for weeks though.

Ah well, back to waiting I suppose.
    Last edited by DJFriar; 2009-08-12 at 04:19 PM.
    2009-08-12 02:52 PM
898 ... 24323334353644 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD