Possible to get just 3g for my 3g w/ Att?

The idea of just data was that I would use Skype exclusively for calls.

I did tzones for tmob but the speeds don't seem very good.

I'd also like to use Skype which as I understand I can't use with tmob (no 3g).
    2009-04-16 06:51 PM
    Nope.
    2009-04-16 07:04 PM
    Okay.

Is att 3g that much faster then tmob data plans (ie worth the money)?

I understand you can't get 3g from tmob w/ an iphone.

$80 a month or nothing is such a hard pill to swallow for most. I know it is for me.
    Last edited by mikeezius; 2009-04-16 at 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-04-16 10:08 PM
    It depends on where you are and how many people are using 3G in that area. There's reports of issues in some heavily-populated areas and/or during periods of peak use (sporting events, concerts, conventions, etc), but then again that's expected. AT&T, however, is not always up to speed on its network upgrades and upkeep, so that might also become an issue.

On the other hand, T-Mobile's EDGE network does fair well against AT&T's EDGE network. I know I happened to get about the same speeds between AT&T's EDGE network and T-Mobile's.

I agree with you, $30 bucks + voice is a lot of money...
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave
    2009-04-17 12:45 AM
    Thanks DH.

Well the ability to use Skype on att 3g is a plus that helps with the voice costs.

More then anything I wanted the fastest data plan available... (impatient guy what can I say).

Getting it cheap too... only in a perfect world I guess.
    2009-04-17 05:36 PM
    If you know someone with a 2G model and is willing to let you borrow it for a little while, you can plug in a new SIM into it and activate a Pick Your Plan account for the iPhone. Costs around $50 for the lowest plan that includes 200 anytime minutes (but no M2M or N&W), Visual VM and unlimited data... you should be able to use the activated SIM in the 3G afterward.

Another thing to think about is that AT&T prohibits VoIP usage per their data terms and conditions. So tread wisely if you decide to go that route.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave
    2009-04-17 07:55 PM
    so... I went ahead and got a valid att sim (new account) and my phone doesn't recognize the new one! I restored to original 2.2.1 software and it reads "no sim" even when one is in.

I know I'm on baseband 2.30.3 and bootloader 5.09 but this shouldn't have a bearing (I wouldn't think) with valid software and sim. I don't get it.
    2009-04-19 10:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD