I feel as though I've become a bit of a "pro" when it comes to canceling the iPhone data plan.

Skip down to the bottom if you just want the tips and tricks.

My old lady wanted a new phone a few months ago, so I bought her a 1st gen 4GB model. I then called CS and told them to cancel the data plan. It was pretty difficult. The first call, the rep said "fine" and that was that; until the bill came. They actually charged me per KB (my lady doesn't know when she is on WiFi or not). So the second call, with a bit of irritation, fixed the problem. All the while the rep was telling me that the phone would cease to function (and possibly explode).

All was fine until we decided to get her an 8GB 3G model. I called CS late (around 9:30pm EST) and explained that she didn't need the data as she is a stay-at-home mom and we have great WiFi coverage. The rep understood, and accordingly took off the data; no problem. Well stupid me had to call CS regarding some unrelated over charges and then thought to ask about her line. The rep said that the data had NOT been removed, and that it can't, as the phone will not be able to text or place phone calls anymore (and may eat your children). I explained that I will not pay for data that I do not need, or use. They were very firm in that it would cease to function, so I told them to do it anyway so I can see first hand. I think that they may have been taken back a bit when I suggested to follow through, as they were at a loss for words. The rep then explained how he would be fired if he did that. Well after going back and forth for another ten minutes, we ended the conversation. I was peeved, but wasn't about to give up. I called back about 10 minutes later and recieved a completely different story. Apparently the first rep was reading off the details of MY line, not HERS. Her line had data blocked on it; and the rep was confused how that could be done. He said to check the bills, because the data could be added on automatically by their systems.

Sorry for the long story, but I thought I would share my experience, as I know it can be done.

NOTE: It doesn't matter if you hacktivate your phone, whether it is unlocked or if you bought it off of eBay or the likes. AT&T knows that you have an iPhone.

So here are some pointers:

• Try calling late, like after 9 or 10
    • Be sure to tell them to block data not just remove data it
    • They will say things like:
      • The phone will not make calls
      • The phone will not text
      • The phone will eat small children
    • Be persistent, if the rep you get to won't budge, politely end the conversation and call back in 10 or so minutes.
    • Be polite, they will be more tempted to help you.
    • Say things like "My friend had his data blocked not too long ago". Let them know that you know that it can be done. If you sound unsure, then they will use that against you.

It may take several calls before you get any luck; but don't give up! It is insane for a company to think that they can force you to pay for data, especially if you aren't using it.

I hope that this helps anyone that is trying block data. There are several threads from people that ask about this process, I tried to cover as much as I could.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2009-05-18 03:44 PM
    ^ Good write up. I hate when they give me those bs answers like the phone will stop functioning. I was told by a csr that they wouldn't enable mms because the phone wasn't ready for it. He said they have had hundreds of customers phones melt due to overheating with MMS. HAHA
    2009-05-18 04:46 PM
    I'm going to try this. I don't have 3g in my area so I only use data for RSS feeds and I can live without those. If they give me a hard enough time, I might play the "I can't afford it" card

Here's some semi-unrelated question for you 2 smart guys...MMS, can those be sent/received via WiFi through the stock SMS app?

If not, does Swirly support them via wifi?

If not, does forwarding an MMS to an e-mail work as a text, or data over wifi?

Sorry for asking those questions BUT I am asking them in relation to not having a data plan so I don't think it's too far off topic, and I'm not trying to hijack either
    2009-05-18 09:08 PM
    If you have AT&T disable data (not just remove the data plan) to your account, MMS will not work (it's because MMS uses cellular data to retrieve the attached items like photos or sound files).

Swirly doesn't work over wifi. BiteSMS might (their next version is supposed to be compatible with MMS, but to what extent isn't certain).

As usual, email would be the 'workaround' for this as email can use wifi. It's a 'workaround' that some find annoying.
    2009-05-19 03:39 AM
    If you have AT&T disable data (not just remove the data plan) to your account, MMS will not work (it's because MMS uses cellular data to retrieve the attached items like photos or sound files).

Swirly doesn't work over wifi. BiteSMS might (their next version is supposed to be compatible with MMS, but to what extent isn't certain).

As usual, email would be the 'workaround' for this as email can use wifi. It's a 'workaround' that some find annoying.
    Thanks, that's what I kind of figured but I wasn't 100% positive.
    2009-05-19 10:36 PM
    Just a quick question, if I am successful in blocking data, would the phone still be able to send/receive text messages? I don't care about MMS, sorry, if it's a dumb question.

I'm thinking of giving my first generation iphone to my husband when the new one comes out in June and since he's not a techie, paying for data he won't use would be a waste and he's around wifi all the time.
    2009-05-20 02:16 AM
    datgirl09,

Yes, SMS will still work if data is disabled.
    Last edited by GenesisDH; 2009-05-20 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave
    2009-05-20 04:17 AM
    Reps may tell you that SMS will not work, but that's not true.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream!
    2009-05-21 05:32 AM
    So if you don't want to use data, would the apps (like Safari) still try to connect using 3G or would it just not work until you get on wifi? Also, if you're on contract, would they still be able to block data off of the phone? I heard that the data plan part of the contract.
    2009-05-22 04:28 AM
    I am on contract, I have five lines; two of them iPhone lines. My line has data, while my ladies' does not.

Apps like Safari will simply say that it is not connected to the internet. If data is blocked, then it will not be able to send or receive data. But SMS works just fine for us. When connected to WiFi, all apps that require data work. It's very vague, the contract language. It basically says that some phones may require data, and some not. Fortunately, the iPhone doesn't necessarily require data. My account is proof of that.
    2009-05-22 05:29 AM
    Awesome. Thanks for the clarification.
    2009-05-22 05:45 AM
    No Problem :-)
    2009-05-22 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD