They probably won't activate a SIM for you unless it's a replacement SIM for your current account/line on the 'old network' (the starting eight digits on the SIM would need to be 8931 0380... an eBay example: AT&T Wireless GSM Sim Card - Old Service 8931), OR you intend to migrate to a new 'at&t' plan.
    They also won't activate a SIM for an additional line/account to use on the 'old network'.

You pretty much have only two options:
    1) Migrate to a new plan and lose whatever older (or cheaper to current 'at&t') plans/features/etc you have now... but you won't lose your phone number and you'll be able to get the iPhone working immediately, or
    2) Keep your plan/features/etc and either use the current 'old' SIM and redsn0w + Ultrasn0w that iPhone 3G. The iPhone will work using the Dev Team's tools, but you'll have to keep hesitant on updating the 3G's firmware until the Dev Team says so.

From the way this thread's gone, option 2 might be best for you, IMHO.

'The new at&t' wants to wean current customers away from the older plans while getting newer phones... they want people off 'old' networks and their occasional 'perks' (free incoming SMS, cheap rates, or other items) that 'at&t' can charge [more] for on the current/'new' network.
    Basically "you can't have your cake and eat it too."

No one can have two active SIMs with the same phone number on them (that's illegal in the US), nor can someone have two SIMs/lines on the same billing account that are from the 'old' network and the 'new' network (that's 'at&t' billing policy).

Sorry if this is disconcerting, but it's unfortunately the truth.
    Good luck.
    Thanks for the info GenesisDH...

I don't plan on signing up for any new plans so I guess its option 2...

The 3G iphone I have has software 2.2.1(5H11) and baseband 02.30.03...

So if I redsn0w and ultrasn0w my iphone, I can use my old sim card and still use the phone features?

I've read that I can quickpwn the iphone but I believe redsn0w supersedes the quickpwn, is this correct?

If anyone can give me guidance, please do so...

As always, your help is much appreciated...
    2009-07-09 05:03 AM
    Anyone assist with my questions above?

Thanks
    2009-07-10 06:50 AM
    Has anyone tried this method to see if it can be done?
    2009-07-12 06:23 AM
    I worked for at&t.. its as simple as this, and im not trying to be rude or ignorant to anyone at all, but quit trying to cheat the system. the iphones run on NEW 3G NETWORK! these old sims and crap are past and ur not going to get a new sim unless u upgrade everything to new. they arent just trying to "steal your money" but what they are doing is doing away with OLD "CRAP" i guess you could say. they didnt new networks just because they felt like it, they made new networks that opporate more efficiently.

simple as this, old sims wont get anything new unless you upgrade everything. IF not you are S.O.L! Stop b1tching and complaining and trying to find any way to cheat the system, because %99 of the time you won't succeed.

Want an iPhone? go pay 100-300 dollars, get everything upgraded, and pay more money for the network and data and quit crying about it. Get up to the new digital age for networks or deal with your 8 year old dinosaur aged stuff.

and you can try to unlock it with ultrasn0w, but i dont see how you will use the features that require newer networks. 3G for att and im not aware of tmobiles uses.

but the iphones run on all new software compared to stuff not even heard of 8 years ago...

so if you unlock it and it opporates efficiently with your BLUE simcard from years past, more power to you, but i don't see how that would work.
    Last edited by BDaniels08; 2009-07-16 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-16 12:51 AM
    I worked for at&t.. its as simple as this, and im not trying to be rude or ignorant to anyone at all, but quit trying to cheat the system. the iphones run on NEW 3G NETWORK! these old sims and crap are past and ur not going to get a new sim unless u upgrade everything to new. they arent just trying to "steal your money" but what they are doing is doing away with OLD "CRAP" i guess you could say. they didnt new networks just because they felt like it, they made new networks that opporate more efficiently.

simple as this, old sims wont get anything new unless you upgrade everything. IF not you are S.O.L! Stop b1tching and complaining and trying to find any way to cheat the system, because %99 of the time you won't succeed.

Want an iPhone? go pay 100-300 dollars, get everything upgraded, and pay more money for the network and data and quit crying about it. Get up to the new digital age for networks or deal with your 8 year old dinosaur aged stuff.

and you can try to unlock it with ultrasn0w, but i dont see how you will use the features that require newer networks. 3G for att and im not aware of tmobiles uses.

but the iphones run on all new software compared to stuff not even heard of 8 years ago...

so if you unlock it and it opporates efficiently with your BLUE simcard from years past, more power to you, but i don't see how that would work.
    From the sound of it, it seems like you're still working for ATT...

Let's see, cheating the system...I wonder what everyone on this and similar forums are doing?!!!

I'm curious to know in what way I was b1itching and complaining??? I am asking questions about a topic that hasn't been covered, if it had, I wouldn't be asking...

My old, ancient crap, as you call it, is being used on a Blackberry Pearl, I guess that's old for you too then right???...If you've read the entire post along with the replies, even 3 posts above yours, you would see that I already have a 3G iphone...

In your mind, anyone that asks questions=crying...I guess you've never asked questions....

You say ATT isn't trying to "steal my money" yet they request that you upgrade to a plan which doesn't offer the same features for the same price....Hmmm, I should maybe just give my money away....There are others here that have a similar situation, read the entire post before you place your "un-rude", "non-ignorant" comments...

I continue to ask because I've gotten conflicting answers regarding this topic. Once an answer is verified, then this too will be resolved and hopefully will be helpful for others in the future with similar issues.
    Last edited by 3l3m3nt; 2009-07-16 at 07:36 AM.
    2009-07-16 06:07 AM
    the pearl isnt new. lol. the only blackberrys worth speakin about are the Bold and 8900.

you found your answer from people in call centers, and if u dont want to waste ur time to go to the corp owned store and get told the same thing, thats your problem.

You need a new sim and plan to get iphone working with service, if you cant fork out the extra money for the new plans, why would you want an iphone in the first place? seems pretty pointless.

Im 19, and worked at att over a year ago, and i dont like prices as much as the next person, but i suck it up and get over it and pay for what i want. lol im a "kid" and i learned not to ***** and cry over paying some dollars more for the top knotch phone along with many of my friends and people i know.

50 dollars for unlimited text and data wont make you bankrupt, and if it does get rid of the phone. quiet a simple solution.

stop browsing websites for answers if u don't believe people go waste gas money going to get told same thing.
    2009-07-16 08:25 AM
    the iphones run on NEW 3G NETWORK! these old sims and crap are past and ur not going to get a new sim unless u upgrade everything to new. they arent just trying to "steal your money" but what they are doing is doing away with OLD "CRAP" i guess you could say. they didnt new networks just because they felt like it, they made new networks that opporate more efficiently.
    I would agree with you accept for the fact that they force you to the new 3G plan even if there is no 3G coverage where you live. Making you pay for a service that they don't provide is pretty much stealing your money.

2009-07-16 03:14 PM
    the pearl isnt new. lol. the only blackberrys worth speakin about are the Bold and 8900.

you found your answer from people in call centers, and if u dont want to waste ur time to go to the corp owned store and get told the same thing, thats your problem.

You need a new sim and plan to get iphone working with service, if you cant fork out the extra money for the new plans, why would you want an iphone in the first place? seems pretty pointless.

Im 19, and worked at att over a year ago, and i dont like prices as much as the next person, but i suck it up and get over it and pay for what i want. lol im a "kid" and i learned not to ***** and cry over paying some dollars more for the top knotch phone along with many of my friends and people i know.

50 dollars for unlimited text and data wont make you bankrupt, and if it does get rid of the phone. quiet a simple solution.

stop browsing websites for answers if u don't believe people go waste gas money going to get told same thing.
    19 and it shows...Didn't you read and comprehend what I posted??? Just like I thought, if its not purchased in that year, you think its not fairly new anymore.

Sure the company reps said I'd need to sign up for a new plan to get the sim card and have the iphone working, but that's what they're supposed to say. There not going to tell anyone that you can unlock/jailbreak/hack the phone to get it working if its possible, thus this post.

There's a purpose to this topic to see if the sim card I have will work or not. I'm getting conflicting answers from those here, thus my search continues.

Nobody is complaining about the money and nobody is b1tching.

Like I said, I'm getting conflicting answers and the assistance from the respectable members is gladly appreciated.

Do me a favor and stop replying to my post. You're the one that's wasting my time.
    2009-07-16 04:55 PM
    makes sense, why dont u jailbreak it and download ultrasnow or rc2? wasting time? You could have taken 45 minutes to find your answer but you ask questions instead of just doing it and figuring out yourself.
    2009-07-17 01:40 AM
    makes sense, why dont u jailbreak it and download ultrasnow or rc2? wasting time? You could have taken 45 minutes to find your answer but you ask questions instead of just doing it and figuring out yourself.
    2009-07-17 03:00 AM
    do a restore to 3.0 then redsn0w. go in cydia download ultrasn0w which I use. I'm an AT&T customer but I just bought a prepaid junk phone took out the sim and put it in my phone which works perfect. so now i'm gonna ditch my contract and go prepaid. but just redsn0w and unlock with ultrasn0w. it'll work. if it doesn't right away look for the apn settings for the old AT&T network. cheers
    2009-07-19 01:57 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD