I found these forums when I was googleing some questions I had and so far I have seen some great information and responses on here.

From what I've read so far it looks like if I jailbreak and unlock the phone I can simply insert my SIM and it will work fine.
    I also read a little about changing the APN if I wanted to use the phone without internet.
    I just have a few questions:

1. Will I be able to jailbreak and unlock the phone without an activated iPhone SIM, basically can I jailbreak the phone without my SIM in or should I put my SIM in, or do I need someone with an actual iPhone plan to do this for me with their SIM.

2. I'm looking into a square trade warranty. Is this a bad or good idea? Anyone with experience on this? I thought I read somewhere that jailbroken or unlocked phone result in warranty being void, but I feel like they wouldn't be able to tell when making repairs.

3. I read in another post that if the phone is unlocked and jailbroken that you can simply get the $10 internet plan and all functions work. I also read somewhere that ATT may be able to detect this and charge you backpayments on the data usage. Any insight?

4. If I decided to use the phone without a data plan and changed this APN, since I'm at college most of the year and have wifi everywhere, can it be changed back to ATT if I wanted to enable a data plan?
    2009-07-01 06:58 AM
    I found these forums when I was googleing some questions I had and so far I have seen some great information and responses on here.

From what I've read so far it looks like if I jailbreak and unlock the phone I can simply insert my SIM and it will work fine.
    I also read a little about changing the APN if I wanted to use the phone without internet.
    I just have a few questions:

1. Will I be able to jailbreak and unlock the phone without an activated iPhone SIM, basically can I jailbreak the phone without my SIM in or should I put my SIM in, or do I need someone with an actual iPhone plan to do this for me with their SIM.

2. I'm looking into a square trade warranty. Is this a bad or good idea? Anyone with experience on this? I thought I read somewhere that jailbroken or unlocked phone result in warranty being void, but I feel like they wouldn't be able to tell when making repairs.

3. I read in another post that if the phone is unlocked and jailbroken that you can simply get the $10 internet plan and all functions work. I also read somewhere that ATT may be able to detect this and charge you backpayments on the data usage. Any insight?

4. If I decided to use the phone without a data plan and changed this APN, since I'm at college most of the year and have wifi everywhere, can it be changed back to ATT if I wanted to enable a data plan?
    2. If you have to send it in for warranty work you simply restore it to a factory ipsw.

3. No matter what plan you choose AT&T will know that you have an iPhone and send you a text stating that your data plan is not the right one and you should switch immediately.

4. Yes you can change your APN at will. You could also control your data usage through SBsettings by disabling 3G+Edge, but the APN route is a lot safer.
    2009-07-01 08:22 AM
    2. If you have to send it in for warranty work you simply restore it to a factory ipsw.

3. No matter what plan you choose AT&T will know that you have an iPhone and send you a text stating that your data plan is not the right one and you should switch immediately.

4. Yes you can change your APN at will. You could also control your data usage through SBsettings by disabling 3G+Edge, but the APN route is a lot safer.
    If AT&T can tell who has unlocked iPhones then why are so many people getting away with it? From what I am reading on here there are a lot of people paying the $10 per month unlimited data fees that are available on a family talk plan.
    2009-07-01 08:33 AM
    If AT&T can tell who has unlocked iPhones then why are so many people getting away with it? From what I am reading on here there are a lot of people paying the $10 per month unlimited data fees that are available on a family talk plan.
    It has nothing to do with AT&T knowing whether you have an unlocked phone. 99% of unlocked phones are running on other carriers networks. My 3G is unlocked and I am AT&T and they do not know it is unlocked. They do know that my IMEI number is exclusive to an iPhone so I got the text message myself.

People put their sims in phones that aren't iPhones, go online and change data, text, mms plans then swap their sims back to the iPhone. AT&T's computers do their sweeps and then MMS stops working and the data plan emails start flying.

But, you can try it for yourself. It may or may not stick for you.

Also, if you are not going to be running an AT&T sim in your phone besure to put it in airplane mode before you go to sync your phone in iTunes for music, videos and such. It will bypass the Invalid Sim error message.
    2009-07-01 08:41 AM
    it is an AT&T SIM I would be using. I have a Blackjack II right now, so I have the 3g SIM card, I am looking at buying a 2g iPhone though, I think that I will use the phone without a data plan at all, except for unlimited texting which I already have. Does the sweep still find you with APN changed and no data usage other than text and voice?
    2009-07-01 08:47 AM
    Yes it will find you. It is not linked to your APN. As soon as you stick your sim into the iPhone and send a few texts or make some phone calls it will switch your phone in your OLAM to the iPhone. Try it. Go online to AT&T and see what phone it lists for you.

The 2G iPhone data plan used to be $20. The 3G data plan is $30. I am not sure if they differentiate any more though.
    2009-07-01 09:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD