I purchased an iphone 3G from a friend that upgraded to the 3Gs. When i connect to itunes, it displays the serial number and telephone number of my friend's phone. I recently JB the phone with 3.0 but did not activate.

I am currently with a different carrier and want to xfer my current phone number to at&t. I have an old Moto V551 with a cingular orange colored 64K smartchip. Not sure if I can do anything with this ... too old?

I would like to use one sim between two phones (one being the iphone 3g). Since I am a new (returning) customer, I am thinking I will have to enter into a new two year agreement regardless of whatever plan I choose. Right?

Should I just get one of the free 3G capable phones with the $40.00 voice, $15.00 data, and %5.00 text plan?

Is there a better or less expensive way?

Thanks in Advance
    2009-07-07 05:59 AM
    Are you wanting to have another phone besides the iPhone 3G? Since you have an older SIM card, AT&T will probably send you a new one. As for the Data plan, you won't need two data plans for both phones because it's one line. The iPhone 3G data plan is $30.00 currently. As far as I know, as long as you already have an AT&T phone, you won't have to buy a new one when you get a contract. You WILL have to enter a 2 Year Agreement regardless.
    2009-07-07 07:11 AM
    what you should do is use the new line to get a 3GS and then sell it on eBay or craigslist then use the current 3G and sim swap between them. I just sold a 16 gig for 600
    2009-07-07 08:19 AM
    About the contract, you only have to enter a two year contract if you but one of their phones at the time of sign up at a deducted price. My entire family just moved from Unicel to AT&T and we all have just bought our own phones including an iPhone bought off eBay. None of us had to enter into any contract. I am the one with the Iphone and all I had to do was pick a plan. I did get a new sim card and had to actavate it through iTunes. I can not switch to sim from the iPhone to any other phone.
    2009-07-14 07:16 AM
    You only are obligated to sign a contract if you buy a phone for a reduced price, which means an initial sale of an iPhone either through ATT or Apple. All you neeed to do is sign up fro a data contract at 30/month.

One main reason I got my iPhone in the first place was that the data plan is still cheaper than a PDA unlimited plan.
    2009-07-14 04:01 PM
    I purchased an iphone 3G from a friend that upgraded to the 3Gs. When i connect to itunes, it displays the serial number and telephone number of my friend's phone. I recently JB the phone with 3.0 but did not activate.

I am currently with a different carrier and want to xfer my current phone number to at&t. I have an old Moto V551 with a cingular orange colored 64K smartchip. Not sure if I can do anything with this ... too old?

I would like to use one sim between two phones (one being the iphone 3g). Since I am a new (returning) customer, I am thinking I will have to enter into a new two year agreement regardless of whatever plan I choose. Right?

Should I just get one of the free 3G capable phones with the $40.00 voice, $15.00 data, and %5.00 text plan?

Is there a better or less expensive way?

Thanks in Advance
    Get the cheap service, and stick to ATT, because, t-mobile is getting smatter, and they will hit new costumers with tha 19.95 Data plan that sucks! I mean ATT 15.00 is way better, once you have unlocked your cell, ativate it with you free capable cell phone from ATT.

Lot's of Folks don't seem to realized that the T-mobile use was good on the 2G, because of the EDGE, kind of OK for the 3G, but it does sucks on the 3GS, ceartian states, certain city's have good reception, others it just suck! so why should I paid 20.00 bucks on a mediocre DATA service, when I could have 15.00 G3 MediaNet!
    2009-07-14 09:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD