So, I'm using an iphone 2g right now on att without the data plan. my friend was also using an iphone 3g without the data plan however att detected him using his 3g and added the data plan. This got me thinking. Ive read up on at&ts smartphone policy stating all smartphones require data plans unless purchased prior to sept 6th 2008. This is where a question comes to mind. My iphone 2g Was purchased back in feb of 2008 so do can at&t still force the iphone data plan on me. I understand that "using the iphone without the data plan is pointless" to some but where i live, i have wifi access all over. Just a question, does anyone have an answer?
    2010-04-06 05:55 AM
    The iPhone has a different policy. All iPhones per their rules are required to have the iPhone data plan. There have been a few people to get around this but the iPhone has a different policy than the smartphone policy.
    [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]
    2010-04-06 06:01 AM
    Hmm all right. I guess im still gonna have to sneak behind att as ive been doing for two months. Everywhere i look online, I read about alot of iphone 3g users being forced to pay the data plan but i never read about any iphone 2g users getting caught. Anyone gotten caught yet with the iphone 2g?
    2010-04-06 06:07 AM
    I've been using my Iphone 2g (prepaid PAYG) for a good year now without a data plan.

In fact, I actually called AT&T and told them to disable my data, to turn it off completely which they did.

I use both my Iphone 2g and my Blackberry Curve... and at the time I called them to turn off my data, I was using my Curve.
    2010-04-06 08:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD