I currently have the 1st generation iphone (almost 3 years old). It is unlocked and I'm using the media max 200 data plan, it comes with unlimited data and 200 text messages for $20/month.

I have 2 questions.

1. If I upgrade to iphone 4 through att, I'm assuming they will force me to get an official iphone data plan. Is this true?

2. If and when the iphone 4 gets unlocked, would I be able to just pop in a sim in there and use my media max 200 data plan with it? Basically bypass itunes activation like how i did for my 1st gen iphone (bypassed activation so that i can use media max 200 data plan and not the official iphone data plan)

basically i want to keep my media max 200 data plan, but i also want the new iphone!
    2010-06-16 01:33 AM
    1. If you buy the new iphone you will have to get a voice and data plan.

2. What you should be able to do is buy the iPhone at "no commitment" price and pay for one month of voice and data then be done with AT&T. Wait for there to be an unlock for the iphone 4, pop in the sim of your other carrier and have your media max plan.

Its gonna be expensive though $599/699 for the phone $36 activation fee, $15 data plan, about $40 for the voice plan. Plus whatever you will be double paying for the service you already have.

Also I am not 100% positive this will work with AT&Ts fine print

EDIT: Missed in the title that you are on AT&T. You should be able to keep your Media Max Plan, just don't let them bully you into upgrading.
    Last edited by ianbroste; 2010-06-18 at 01:45 AM.
    2010-06-17 10:18 PM
    I didn't know AT&T had "Unlimited Media Max Data Plan". That's nice!!

Anyways, you should be able to keep your plan when you upgrade your phone. I know you will get a new SIM card for iPhone 4, but it should't matter. There was guy who's planning to switch his wife's Blackberry to iPhone 4. He got a confirmation from AT&T that his wife would be able to keep the current unlimited data plan & he will get the new SIM card that comes with the iPhone 4.

AT&T will & should honor your current data plan. 20 bucks for an unlimited data & 200 text messages is a very good deal. You should keep it and don't upgrade to the new data plan. You should also be able to upgrade your voice plan (get more minutes) if you want to.
    2010-06-18 01:36 AM
    I don't know for sure about the iPhone to iPhone upgrade path, but I've got a Tilt with an unlimited data plan. I popped my SIM in my wife's iPhone 3G, tried to go online, but found that I couldn't access data. It kept whining to me, essentially, that I wasn't on an iPhone plan. My wife is getting the 4 in a couple of weeks and I wanted to take her 3G over. She's grandfathered (grandmothered?) in on the unlimited iPhone data plan, but AT&T is telling me that I'll have to switch to the 200MB or 2GB plan if I want to use her old phone.

I want to use her old iPhone at least until AT&T comes out with a decent Android-based phone, but I'm afraid that if I do so, they'll "upgrade" me to the current bandwidth-limited plan and I'll be stuck...
    2010-06-21 02:45 PM
    I didn't know AT&T had "Unlimited Media Max Data Plan". That's nice!!

Anyways, you should be able to keep your plan when you upgrade your phone. I know you will get a new SIM card for iPhone 4, but it should't matter. There was guy who's planning to switch his wife's Blackberry to iPhone 4. He got a confirmation from AT&T that his wife would be able to keep the current unlimited data plan & he will get the new SIM card that comes with the iPhone 4.

AT&T will & should honor your current data plan. 20 bucks for an unlimited data & 200 text messages is a very good deal. You should keep it and don't upgrade to the new data plan. You should also be able to upgrade your voice plan (get more minutes) if you want to.
    are you positive about that? anyone else know? i'm skeptical because technically i'm not suppose to use this data plan since all ATT iphones are supposed to be on ATT iphone data plans, no? i'm afraid if i try, they'll see that i don't have an iphone data plan and will force me to switch
    2010-06-25 05:36 AM
    not gunna happen.....
    2010-06-25 05:38 AM
    i upgraded to iphone 4 and they cannot let me keep my mediamax $20 data plan used on my old 2g.... im very dissapointed w/them !!!!!!!!

there's anyway to get unlimited again ?
    2010-06-25 10:52 PM
    i upgraded to iphone 4 and they cannot let me keep my mediamax $20 data plan used on my old 2g.... im very dissapointed w/them !!!!!!!!

there's anyway to get unlimited again ?
    ahh thats what i figured, so they forced you to use the new data plan?
    2010-06-30 07:03 AM
    since the iphone 4 is now unlocked, has anyone tried using their media max data plan with an unlocked iphone 4? would be curious to know if it works
    2010-08-13 08:13 PM
    there is something called an APN changer that i used on my pervious iphones. the website is called unlockit.com/nz there is a bug for iphone 4, but this would trick your carrier into adding any data plan. if anyone knows anything about APN for iphone 4 please post!!
    2010-08-18 04:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD