Running a 3G with jailbroken iOS4, and I want to install the tethering apps so I can use my laptop wherever, but I'm afraid of AT&T realizing that I am doing it. My guess is that it will simply seem like using my iPhone's 3G somewhere, so they won't know, but I could be wrong.
    2010-07-23 05:31 AM
    As far as I have been able to tell, the data sent and received on MyWi (which is what I use) to my laptop or desktop looks identical to data sent and received on my iPhone. I have been tethering for some time and have even gone over the 5GB unlimited soft cap and nothing has ever happened. I have done a little digging and found out that on the surface it looks identical to regular data but if they did some digging around, technically they could differentiate between your local iPhone using the data and data used on a laptop through tethering, even using MyWi. Even if this is technically the case, I really doubt they've ever gone through the hassle but since tethering is officially sanctioned now I guess we will see since now there is a financial motivation. Just don't give them any reason to check into you by using massive amounts of data and I guarantee you'll be fine.
    Last edited by kraziebone; 2010-07-27 at 01:57 AM.
    2010-07-27 01:53 AM
    well jailbreaking your device is perfectly legal now and MyWi is on Cydia so i think your cool?
    2010-07-27 08:51 AM
    Just because it's on cydia is in no way an indication that an app is legal or not. This however is not a question of legality. It's not illegal to tether unofficially but AT&T still has the right to charge you up the *** if they find out that you are doing it. But I don't think they can differentiate very easily between data so it doesn't matter anyway
    2010-08-01 10:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD