hey

i want to use my iphone on cingular service without using the edge/3g/iphone plan, but I want to be able to make calls.

I cant afford the $20/month

Possible to make calls on cing on iphone w/o edge?
    2007-10-06 01:32 AM
    yea of course I don't have edge and I can still use free hotspot
     Think Different
    2007-10-06 01:40 AM
    Can you make calls though I want to be able to make calls
    2007-10-06 01:41 AM
    Can you make calls though I want to be able to make calls
    yea u can do pretty much everything it jsut wont connect to edge since u didn't sign up for it
     Think Different
    2007-10-06 01:44 AM
    so i can make phone calls right?
    2007-10-06 05:26 AM
    so i can make phone calls right?
    yea if your phone is unlocked
     Think Different
    2007-10-06 06:15 AM
    yea if your phone is unlocked
    I have cingular though would I still need to unlock it if I did not wish to use EDGE/online services, but still be able to make calls?
    2007-10-06 06:17 AM
    I have a new iphone I just unlocked and I have my sim from my other phone working in it. The edge system is working. Does it come automatically w/ the family plan or something? Can I cancel it?
    2007-10-18 07:02 PM
    I have a new iphone I just unlocked and I have my sim from my other phone working in it. The edge system is working. Does it come automatically w/ the family plan or something? Can I cancel it?
    Most wireless plans will automatically include EDGE (GPRS). They throw it in there hoping you'll use it on a "pay-per-use" basis so they can charge you up the ying-yang. Install the Services.app and simply turn EDGE off.

I have cingular though would I still need to unlock it if I did not wish to use EDGE/online services, but still be able to make calls?
    EDGE, WiFI and Radio (your phone capabilities) have no interaction with each other, you can disable any one of them and still have access to the others.
    Last edited by Eurisko; 2007-10-18 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-18 07:15 PM
    Most wireless plans will automatically include EDGE (GPRS). They throw it in there hoping you'll use it on a "pay-per-use" basis so they can charge you up the ying-yang. Install the Services.app and simply turn EDGE off.

EDGE, WiFI and Radio (your phone capabilities) have no interaction with each other, you can disable any one of them and still have access to the others.
    I used the Services.app toggle switch to turn off Edge and its not dependable, Edge came on and cost me money. Either have customer care disable Edge or use the following instructions:

This was posted in a comment over at TUAW, and may work as well.

"It's actually quite easy to turn EDGE off. If you can get access to the files on your phone (through any of the GUI tools available, or via TextEdit on the iPhone), do the following:

1. Open /var/root/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist in your editor of choice.

2. Look for the string "apn". This will be followed by "wap.cingular".

3. Delete the "." in "wap.cingular".

4. Restart the phone.

5. When you try to connect via EDGE, it will fail.

6. To reinstate EDGE service, open the file again and insert the "." between "wap" and "cingular", then restart the phone.

I'm sure some enterprising person could write a native iPhone app to do this for you."
    Also, I believe you can drop your data plan on your iPHone account.

You can add and remove data and feature plans at any time with no fees.
    Last edited by ppk287; 2007-10-20 at 02:08 PM.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

2007-10-20 02:05 PM
    hey

i want to use my iphone on cingular service without using the edge/3g/iphone plan, but I want to be able to make calls.

I cant afford the $20/month

Possible to make calls on cing on iphone w/o edge?
    You have a high-end phone, but yet you cannot afford $20/month???
    2007-10-20 11:41 PM
    Just walk into AT&T store and tell them you dont need Data plan. That it.

Unlock & PWNED!8gig iPhone 2.1
    Carrier|AT&T-AIS|TRUE
    MacBook|2.4GHZ|4gig RAM|120gig HDD
    2007-10-21 05:55 PM
    What is TextEdit?

I used the Services.app toggle switch to turn off Edge and its not dependable, Edge came on and cost me money. Either have customer care disable Edge or use the following instructions:

Also, I believe you can drop your data plan on your iPHone account.
    2007-10-27 04:29 PM
    There is an app called "Services" which you can just turn off EDGE with.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-10-27 10:57 PM
    What is TextEdit?
    Haven't a clue as to what your talking about.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
    George Orwell

2007-10-28 01:52 AM
    It is part of the explanation above. I found out it is a text editing app.
    2007-10-28 03:33 AM
    It is part of the explanation above. I found out it is a text editing app.

http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2007/10/0...-services-app/
    The program allows you to shut off EDGE, as well as WiFi, Bluetooth and SSH capabilities from a single pane (WiFi and Bluetooth can also be selectively disabled through he iPhone’s “Settings” application). This is useful for customers who have a limited, prepaid data plan or are using the iPhone on carriers other than AT&T. It’s also, of course, useful for those who are holding off on the 1.1.1 update and want to turn off EDGE when roaming overseas.
    I don't see anything on this program about text editing.

Also, I would like to restate that this app didn't work for me. While using it with the Edge supposedly turned-off, the Edge came on and cost me some money.
    Last edited by ppk287; 2007-10-28 at 02:58 PM.
    George Orwell

2007-10-28 02:50 PM
    Hi, I know this thread is a bit old, but it seemed the most relevant to what I'm trying to do.

I ordered an iPhone 3G at the AT&T store, and it will be here in a few days. I'll sign up for the $70 plan (I don't talk much). They said I could add my daughter to the plan for $20/mo with a free non-iPhone. Great. $90 + tax & fees is fine.

A friend offered my daughter an old iPhone for the same price as an iPod touch (which she has been eyeing). She was wondering if she could be added to my plan, turn off the edge, and just use the old iPhone as a regular cell phone with the benefits of the iPod touch. This would save her from carrying 2 devices, and save me from a $130/mo family iPhone plan. Is this possible? Can I do this in the store, or do I keep my mouth shut about the other iPhone, get a freebie phone, and put that sim in the iPhone?

Would I need to unlock the old iPhone to do this? It's on version 2.0. Will that be a problem?

Can she still get apps from the app store and use it normally?

Thanks for any help!
    2008-07-21 10:29 PM
    Hi, I know this thread is a bit old, but it seemed the most relevant to what I'm trying to do.

I ordered an iPhone 3G at the AT&T store, and it will be here in a few days. I'll sign up for the $70 plan (I don't talk much). They said I could add my daughter to the plan for $20/mo with a free non-iPhone. Great. $90 + tax & fees is fine.

A friend offered my daughter an old iPhone for the same price as an iPod touch (which she has been eyeing). She was wondering if she could be added to my plan, turn off the edge, and just use the old iPhone as a regular cell phone with the benefits of the iPod touch. This would save her from carrying 2 devices, and save me from a $130/mo family iPhone plan. Is this possible? Can I do this in the store, or do I keep my mouth shut about the other iPhone, get a freebie phone, and put that sim in the iPhone?

Would I need to unlock the old iPhone to do this? It's on version 2.0. Will that be a problem?

Can she still get apps from the app store and use it normally?

Thanks for any help!
    how old is your daughter?
    2008-07-22 01:22 AM
    <loads shotgun>
    Too young ;-)
    2008-07-28 03:51 PM
21 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD