I got Cingular service yesterday and a iphone as you all know by know :P

However the guy who was working on the stuff for me said I cant use the iphone without the $20 per month iphone data plan (EDGE).

I took the NORMAL service anyway without the data plan.

My used iphone was already activated, all I did was swap the default sim with mine I got from cingular and it worked 100%. I didnt need edge or any data plan crap.

My question is why did it do that? Did the stupid employee lie to me? What will I miss out with no EDGE? I know i wont get that "fast" internet, but I usually am always near a WiFi hot spot anyways.

Thnx!
    2007-10-06 01:06 PM
    Be Careful. If you have no data plan, you will pay a lot in charges. This is if you use the little stuff, weather updates, stocks, emails (biggie) ...

If you Browse the web then lookout! lol

20 is worth it.
    2007-10-06 01:13 PM
    Wont it ask me for any warnings or anything before I go on and use the features? Is it possible to DISABLE edge usage?

I really only use the emails and stuff when I am at a WiFi HotSpot.

Is their a button that warns or informs I am using Cingualrs internet?
    2007-10-06 02:42 PM
    Just disable you Edge. Or turn it off with "services" app on installer
    2007-10-06 02:53 PM
    I belive the edge is used for the visual voicemail also
    2007-10-06 03:10 PM
    I belive the edge is used for the visual voicemail also
    I can confirm this. No EDGE = No VV.

Services.app is what you're looking for to easily flip the switch on Edge.
    2007-10-06 03:26 PM
    Just between yesterday and today you could have racked up a ton of charges without doing anything at all since the phone runs processes automatically. The $20 was HIGHLY worth it. It's surely already cost you 5 times that amount just idling for a day. Ya cheap out, you'll pay!
    2007-10-06 07:01 PM
    I can confirm this. No EDGE = No VV.

Services.app is what you're looking for to easily flip the switch on Edge.
    damnow i turned my phone over night, now when i opened it, it said that connect to iphone to activate phone. I do that and i have to get the data service plan. Is it possible not to get that and activate the phone so I can make CALLS atleast?
    2007-10-06 09:02 PM
    Help us help ya'll... please post topics in the correct forum. Thread moved.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews
    2007-10-06 09:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD