Settings are pretty simple.

Follow the directions on the Youmail site to forward your voicemail calls to Youmail instead of the T-mobile number.

All that is left to do is to change what number is dialed when you hit the voicemail icon on your iPhone. To do this put in this code:

*5005*86*Your10digitnumber#

That will make the voicemail icon on the iPhone dial the Youmail number rather than the T-Mobile number.
    2008-04-09 01:00 AM
    @nchall Thanks for tracking down that syntax. I had luck with and I think you may have meant *5005*86*7142043114# instead of *5005*86*Your10digitnumber#.

7142043114 is YouMail's number to check voicemail.
    2008-05-06 03:25 AM
    Thanks for the info, always wondered how to get that button to go directly to youmail instead of T-Mobile voicemail. I love youmail. Pretty Sweet!
    - iPhone 8gig and 16gig 3G - 3.0 - JailBroken + Unlocked to T-Mobile Unlimited Plan & Total Internet Plan.
    - iPod Touch - UnJailBroken
    - XBOX 360 - Modded Firmware - XBL (my s/n)
    - XBOX - Software Modded - XBMC
    - Dell Inspiron 1521 - [B]Vista Ultimate and
    running Windows XP and Mac OS X 10.5.4 (YES! Mac OS on an Dell PC)
    2008-05-12 02:19 AM
    I've had YouMail for years... when I slid my SIM card from my sidekick into my unlocked iPhone... it worked flawlessly... but I finally decided to upgrade my SIM so I dont constantly have the red-voicemail-dot.

I've reset my inbound calls to go to the You-Mail service... but I cannot reprogram the voicemail key to dial YouMail. It keeps dialing t-mobile...

I've typed in *5005*86*7142043114# and I've even tried replacing the YouMail number with my own cell number... but it keeps just dialing t-mobile! I've tried restarting the iPhone... I can't fix it and it's driving me nuts! It was all working fine until I went and got a new SIM this morning... any suggestions to get my voicemail button working again, so I dont have to use a speed-dial??

EDIT:: Apparently, you cannot change the voicemail number for the newer style T-mobile SIM cards?? CLICK HERE FOR LINK Please tell me there is a workaround here? am I forever stuck with either a Permenant RED-DOT... or not being able to use the VoiceMail button?

Well, I solved my problem, but not good enough to help anyone else who may suffer from my issues.

I found an old T-mobile Sim card I'd been sent but never activated... its not as old as my 2003 one.... but also was not new enough to be the new 64K Sim Card. I called T-mobile and activated it... I put it in the phone... and I no longer have a permenant red dot! Plus, I can modify the VoiceMail dialing number!
    Last edited by mad_llib; 2008-06-13 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-06-13 01:23 AM
    If someone finds a workaround for those of us not lucky enough to have an old SIM card, that would be GREAT...
    2008-10-06 03:29 AM
    Everything works flawlessly for me, Although my sim card is from like two years ago, But my wifes is about a year old and it works on hers too?
    Last edited by Pcpro745; 2008-10-06 at 07:03 PM.
    2008-10-06 08:43 AM
    wow i never knew about this thanks so much for posting this. ive been looking for something like this for a while and its free. all the settings work flawless. now i just gotta setup my contacts and my custom greetings.
    2008-10-14 08:39 PM
    what is youmail?
    2008-10-15 06:40 AM
    Alternative Voicemail System
    2008-10-18 02:14 AM
    Question: I have a 2.1 jailbroken G2 iPhone and a YouMail account, but for some reason I cannot retrieve my VVM using my T-mobile edge connection...??? (works fine with wifi)

Can anyone explain to me why, or have a solution?

Thank you.
    2008-10-25 11:16 PM
    what APN are you using?
    2008-10-25 11:36 PM
    what APN are you using?
    I am currently using wap.voicestream.com, with my Bb 2.0 Tzone hack. Should I be using a different APN?
    2008-10-27 05:31 PM
    I need a little help with this youmail thing, i signed up like 4 months ago but i've not been able to use it, first when they sent me the TXT to confirm I never got it, second when I try to set the unanswered calls to go to youmail rather than T-mobile voicemail I have an error when I dial *004*17142043114#
    Code:
    error performing request, no network service. setting activation failed, voice calls forwarding, all conditional calls
    and all the way the same: data calls, fax calls, sms, sync, async, packet, and pad calls failed.

After be mad for like 2 weeks trying to set it up I call T-Mobile, they tried with no lucky, then they transfered my call to a technician, he did something and then the call was successfully transfered, but since then everyone that calls me and I don't answer the call just drop itself, it doesn't go neither T-mobile VM nor youmail.
    The only good thing is now I don't have to hear my wife's hysterical voicemails when i don't pick up, lol.
    Thanks in advance if someone can help me to solve this issue.
    αGoD HaS THe⌃oF My LiFe aND i DoN'T WaNNa⎋*Ⓘ♡Ⓜⓨⓘⓗⓞⓝⓔ
    2008-10-28 07:17 PM
    Wow, this is awesome!

Anyone know how to program the voicemail button? I've tried the advice posted earlier in this thread and no luck.
    2008-10-28 11:34 PM
    I need a little help with this youmail thing, i signed up like 4 months ago but i've not been able to use it, first when they sent me the TXT to confirm I never got it, second when I try to set the unanswered calls to go to youmail rather than T-mobile voicemail I have an error when I dial *004*17142043114#
    Code:
    error performing request, no network service. setting activation failed, voice calls forwarding, all conditional calls
    and all the way the same: data calls, fax calls, sms, sync, async, packet, and pad calls failed.

After be mad for like 2 weeks trying to set it up I call T-Mobile, they tried with no lucky, then they transfered my call to a technician, he did something and then the call was successfully transfered, but since then everyone that calls me and I don't answer the call just drop itself, it doesn't go neither T-mobile VM nor youmail.
    The only good thing is now I don't have to hear my wife's hysterical voicemails when i don't pick up, lol.
    Thanks in advance if someone can help me to solve this issue.
    Hey, I did the same exact thing!!! Did u solve it at the end??
    I'm still stuck...
    2009-11-06 11:50 PM
    ^ no man I gave up after a whole month trying, I ended up calling t-mobile to fix it and now my calls goes to tmobile vm.
    What a frustration.
    2009-11-07 03:14 PM
    Thx Ghostyairo, i think it depends by the flex account.
    2009-11-07 09:18 PM
    Still looking for a resolve for this issue. Anyone discover anything new? There has got to be some way of hacking that damn VM button and making it call any number you want it to call. Come on you star hackers, find us a loop hole. LOL

Thanks
    2010-04-21 04:51 AM
    Oh man. I started this thread originally, and now have a new Android phone instead of my iPhone. Problem is that the voicemail button is still programmed to call YouMail and cannot be changed to Google Voice. Does anyone know the code to program the voicemail button through the SIM card on Android?
    2011-01-25 02:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD