Incorrect.

There are different frequencies that the 3G network uses and as long as your phone supports the 3G provided by your service provider, then the phone will work.

HOWEVER, T-mobile USA 3G uses 1700 MHz spectrum for download and 2100 MHz for upload (850/1900 for voice). AT&T uses the 850/1900 MHz frequency spectrum for 3G data (850 MHz for voice). If the phone doesn't have a radio with the correct frequency, the phone will not work. It is highly unlikely that Apple will include a odd-ball 1700 MHz radio with the iPhone because IIRC T-mobile USA is the only one to use this freq.

You will still be able to use the "3G" iPhone on T-mobiles 2.5G (EDGE) network (backwards compatible) meaning the phone will work and you can get data, just at EDGE speeds.
    Well the only way around this would work for other phone carriers is if the iphone was released worldwide instead of one country at a time like the previous release. if apple were to make a world wide release they would need to make a phone that supported multiple 3g frequencies to support multiple services providers.
    2008-06-09 06:52 AM
    Yes, you're correct about the edge, but isn't the whole point of a 3G iPhone; well the 3G? . Without 3G, no video conferencing, no GPS, and I'm sure there will be other things.
    Well, surely the GPS will still work. You can still send and receive the map data over EDGE right?
    2008-06-09 09:29 PM
    I think one of the biggest upsides of the new phone is the battery life... For me (can't charge my phone for 8-12 periods due to work) that would be great

so regardless of 3G or no 3G on tmo if my patience can last I'll get one once it's all iHacked and works right with tmo... other wise I'll just grab a good used one for less...
    Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is time rich and cash poor. (Little Brother by Cory Doctorow)

2008-06-09 11:10 PM
    Well, surely the GPS will still work. You can still send and receive the map data over EDGE right?
    You guys all do realize that GPS is "hardware" right?

GPS should still work either way, seeing as it uses satellites and not wireless technology like EDGE/3G. I may be wrong, but as far as I know, all GPS devices use satellites.
    2008-06-09 11:50 PM
    You guys all do realize that GPS is "hardware" right?

GPS should still work either way, seeing as it uses satellites and not wireless technology like EDGE/3G. I may be wrong, but as far as I know, all GPS devices use satellites.
    actually the question of whether or not gps will work on non att networks is a great question imo...

i've read several things about it on a few different sites and what I take from it is that the new hard ware is a quasi GPS that actually uses cell towers to "triangulate" your location and and can be even more precise then satalite...

but don't think that this is the end all answer, I honestly don't think we will know much about the new iphone till we get our hands on it i July...

we will see..
    Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is time rich and cash poor. (Little Brother by Cory Doctorow)

2008-06-10 03:19 AM
    Well the only way around this would work for other phone carriers is if the iphone was released worldwide instead of one country at a time like the previous release. if apple were to make a world wide release they would need to make a phone that supported multiple 3g frequencies to support multiple services providers.
    No. Even if the phone was released world wide, it still wouldn't include T-Mobile USA's 3G band.

T-Mobile USA is the only carrier in the world to utilize the W-CDMA 1700 (2100 down/1700 up) band. Also known as Band IV.

The one thing that confuses me is that the HSPDA chip Apple used in the new phone is a six-band W-CDMA transceiver. If they really wanted to make the phone "world wide," they would have been better off "enabling" all six bands (which would have covered us here with T-Mobile).

http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=1&gl=us (third paragraph)

It's a shame.
    Last edited by Lecram25; 2008-06-10 at 03:57 PM. Reason: changed link to google cache
    2008-06-10 04:53 AM
    No. Even if the phone was released world wide, it still wouldn't include T-Mobile USA's 3G band.

T-Mobile USA is the only carrier in the world to utilize the W-CDMA 1700 (2100 down/1700 up) band. Also known as Band IV.

The one thing that confuses me is that the HSPDA chip Apple used in the new phone is a six-band W-CDMA transceiver. If they really wanted to make the phone "world wide," they would have been better off "enabling" all six bands (which would have covered us here with T-Mobile).

Infineon samples single-chip, 6-band WCDMA transceiver (third paragraph)

It's a shame.
    I know it's probably hopeless, but could we hack the firmware to access the spectrum if the chip is capable?
    2008-06-10 05:08 AM
    actually the question of whether or not gps will work on non att networks is a great question imo...

i've read several things about it on a few different sites and what I take from it is that the new hard ware is a quasi GPS that actually uses cell towers to "triangulate" your location and and can be even more precise then satalite...

but don't think that this is the end all answer, I honestly don't think we will know much about the new iphone till we get our hands on it i July...

we will see..
    iPhone 3G: What Is Assisted GPS?
    2008-06-10 08:25 PM
    From all the news, and paying $400 bucks for my phone, I am not a fan of the new 3G. What do I really need that speed for. Tmobile EGDE is pretty fast for me. WIFI is everywhere these days.
    2008-06-13 02:32 PM
    From all the news, and paying $400 bucks for my phone, I am not a fan of the new 3G. What do I really need that speed for. Tmobile EGDE is pretty fast for me. WIFI is everywhere these days.
    You mean you don't download all the latest torrents on your iphone? 3G is killer for that.

Actually I feel the same way as you. I don't think anybody needs that kind of speed to sign a 2 year and pay the monthly fees. I can access wifi and hotspots all over. 3G is not worth it. I don't even need gps, I know how to veiw google maps and click a button.
    2008-06-13 03:49 PM
    I know it's probably hopeless, but could we hack the firmware to access the spectrum if the chip is capable?
    Stuff i had seen was that there were three different skyworks chipsets that covered 3 bands, (1700 not being one of them).

Unfortunate. TMO customer service is light years ahead of Cingular's.
    2008-06-13 07:11 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD