I have a first gen iphone that i just bought a while ago on ebay.
    I jailbroke it and am using it FANTASTICALLY on tmobile

The person i bought it from bought it this past month, and i have the receipt so fortunately i have almost a year left of apples standard warranty.

My question is if something happens to break will apple replace it even tho its not activated. (under att)

I am aware that i would have to restore before even thinking of going to apple, but then what?
    someone told me i have to use pwnge tool to JUST activate it but not unlock it, and borrow someones att sim for that day.
    But wouldnt this still be a problem if the person i borrow from doesnt have an iphone plan??? i would think that it wouldnt even work unless i unlocked it...wouldnt apple figure this out when they give me the replacement and try to activate it instore?

can someone clear this up for me?
    hopefully someone has done this already just so i know it can be done...
    2008-07-22 09:36 PM
    If it is jailbroken, forget about it. If you restore it, make sure you bring it in with an ATT SIM in it. If you lose function on it that would require activation, but bring it in inactivated, they will not service it.
    2008-07-22 09:37 PM
    thanks for the reply

But that doesn't fully answer my question

Has anyone done this before?
    Does anyone know the steps that need to be taken in order to get the iphone replaced under warranty (given a replacement is due under normal circumstances)
    2008-07-22 09:46 PM
    Yes, this has been done before. There's 100s of threads about it
    To live, you have to lie
    2008-07-22 09:52 PM
    I did answer your question.

Restore the phone to it's original state. Put in an ATT SIM. Bring the motherfcvker in.

End of story. If you want warranty work performed, do those three steps. Sorry, I shouldn't have used so many of 'dem big werds' in my original post.
    2008-07-23 12:36 AM
    wow...relax man
    I was simply saying you didnt answer my specific question

I know i have to restore the phone to get it back to its original state,
    but i wasnt sure if you just put in an att sim card. Im pretty sure if i restore it and just put in a friends att sim card, it will still require activation through itunes...WHICH in turn will change my friends plan to a iphone plan...
    THAT was my question...
    So you know...i do wish it was as simple as you said it, but im pretty sure its not..
    2008-07-23 12:50 AM
    The Apple iphone warranty does not specify that the iphone has to be authorized. Do a google search on apple iphone warranty and you should be taken to the Apple site to read the warranty.

Just restore back to factory specs and take it in.
    2008-07-23 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD