okay, back from the latest trip to att. apparently you can sign up for new service, get the phone, and data plan for $200, (im thinking this is for the 8gb, i could tell the guys at the counter didnt know iphone prices very well). Then the deactivation/cancel plan fee is only $180. So its looking like for $380/$480 you can get the new iphones (8gb/16gb respectively). it seems pointless to go ahead and pay full retail for either phone then.

now where are we on unlocking methods, seems like the turbo sim is a way to go, but I've heard problems with this. Is anybody working on a software hack for it??

like I stated before i don't care about 3g speed; I really need a gps thingy, and why buy a garmin for $300 something when i can get the new iphone hacked! and use that instead.
    2008-08-06 07:40 PM
    SWEEEET!!!! if only the 3G speed worked with Tmo id probibly be sold on it
    2008-08-06 07:45 PM
    You cannot use 3g iPhone on T-Mobile regardless of the unlock. You can use it but only EDGE not 3g services because of the radio is set to different frequencies than what TMo uses.

Also, AT&T's no contract iPhones are still LOCKED to AT&T.
    2008-08-06 09:50 PM
    what everyone is trying to say is...yes you can use the iphone 3g with tmobile just not the actual 3g service...... and yes the 3g is unlockable. i live in miami florida and people are charging 50 to 100 dollars for the unlock but it can be done
    16gb white 3G iphone jailbroken on 2.0.2
    2008-08-07 03:10 AM
    what everyone is trying to say is...yes you can use the iphone 3g with tmobile just not the actual 3g service...... and yes the 3g is unlockable. i live in miami florida and people are charging 50 to 100 dollars for the unlock but it can be done
    Its not a real software unlock, their using sim spoofing like turbosim or stelath sim.
    Everytime you dont press THANKS god kills an iPhone(so please save zee the iPhones)
    2008-08-07 03:44 AM
    Here is specifically what I want to know--if my question has been answered in the thread, I have misinterpreted it and I'm sorry:
    Is it possible to buy an iPhone 3G from an Apple store, take it home without activating, use the iPhone Pwnage Tool from the iPhone Dev Team, then throw in my T-Mobile SIM?
    2008-08-31 11:26 AM
    wrong. the iphone 3g wont work even when tmobile gets 3g up and running. different frequency's. do some research.
    wrong. The infineon chipset does technically support the band IV (2100/1700) of 3G*, which is what t-mobile uses. This opens up possibilities of enabling it via software modifications.

*Not listed in iphone spec sheet.
    2008-08-31 12:06 PM
    Here is specifically what I want to know--if my question has been answered in the thread, I have misinterpreted it and I'm sorry:
    Is it possible to buy an iPhone 3G from an Apple store, take it home without activating, use the iPhone Pwnage Tool from the iPhone Dev Team, then throw in my T-Mobile SIM?

No. The Dev Team HAS NOT successfully enabled the 3G to be used on TMobile.
    They also say those sim-unlocks are not what you should be using. This is not propaganda so you use their unlocks, they are free! (might wanna donate though )
    As far as, obtaining a phone thats not an issue. But the unlock is.

So to the folks who say they have used a sim-unlock why go through the hassle of getting a 3G, paying for an unlock, when it can only function as a 1st gen.? seems a bit silly.
    The GPS I think has to have a 3G network correct? So again, buying a 3G phone to perform as a 1st gen.
    2008-08-31 07:10 PM
    Here's what I did:

Purchased an 8GB iPhone from a local AT&T store with a new contract for $199. Canceled the contract after 1 month, for an addition $180. Paid another $70 for the 1st month's bill. Total = $449.

Then, sold the iPhone on eBay for $749. After eBay fees, paypal fees, and shipping charges I made $700 minus the $449 that I spent buying it, and made a profit of $250.

Then I purchased a factory unlocked iPhone from Australia (where they have the option of doing this for an additional $80AUD with their carrier) for $950. With the profit that I made, I really bought it for $700.

BUT I also used the Microsoft Live Cashback promotion that ebay and microsoft have been doing (anyone can use it, just go to live.com and search for a product) and got back $100.

It was a long and lengthy procedure but in the end I basically got a factory unlocked iphone 3G for $600. Perfect for T-Mobile! (I was obviously pretty desperate for this phone ).
    2008-08-31 09:48 PM
    Haha Lostbrains that plan was pure genius bro
    2008-09-01 06:19 PM
    So to the folks who say they have used a sim-unlock why go through the hassle of getting a 3G, paying for an unlock, when it can only function as a 1st gen.? seems a bit silly.
    The GPS I think has to have a 3G network correct? So again, buying a 3G phone to perform as a 1st gen.
    wrong. GPS doesnt require 3G.. doesnt even require EDGE. although it needs a map to show you where you are and since it doesnt have a map stored in the iphones memory, it requires google maps thus requireing some kind of internet connection, so it can function with EDGE, 3G or even wi-fi... it would be nice if there was a way to store maps on the phone like a normal standalone GPS device does.
    2008-09-02 04:51 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD