Hello,

I hope someone can help me. I have read so much IPhone info today my head is spinning.

I have an Iphone I bought a few hours ago. Brought it home, unlocked it, no problems.

I inserted the SIM card from my TMobile Sidekick III and my phone works but I get no internet services.

Since then I have read I need to install some apps, I don't need to install anything, I need to upgrade my TMobile plan (I already have the SK unlimited plan???) I don't need to upgrade my plan.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do with this phone or with my plan or both to get this thing working online?

THANKS!

Mike
    2008-03-06 10:08 PM
    jesus i thought a new iphone was made.. !
    Thanks is an acknowledgment
    2008-03-06 10:24 PM
    Sorry pal. I tried to go back in and change the title for you but it won't allow it.

Anyhow I have been reading for about 2 hours now and I still don't know what I need to do.

It looks like I am good with my SideKick 3 data plan from TMobile but I am still unclear on what else I need to do.

I saw that I need to change the edge settings to internet2.voicestream.com which I did but nothing happened even after I restarted the phone.

Anyone that can take me step by step on what I need to do I would appreciate it.

Also, I used ZIPhone to unlock the phone, it's a 16gb and it's on 1.1.3 (4A93)
    2008-03-06 11:16 PM
    you'll need to get the EDGE/GPRS settings of TMobile to ur iPhone
    or connect through WiFi
    Thanks is an acknowledgment
    2008-03-06 11:22 PM
    see if wap.voicestream.com works.
    hit thanks if thanks are due.
    2008-03-06 11:24 PM
    wap.voicestream.com also does not work

Does something need to be installed on the phone or not? If so how do I do that?
    2008-03-06 11:31 PM
    see if this works:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39651
    2008-03-06 11:38 PM
    Looked at that already. Have no idea how to install stuff or where the private/var/root is or any of that. I basically need someone who is already using TMobile who switched from a Sidekick to an Iphone to pop in and give me a helping hand. I tried to search the site and every other post suggest something different with no real solutions being offered.

ARe their any former Sidekick 3 users out there? If so how did you get your phone working. Please help!
    2008-03-06 11:50 PM
    hold on about 2 minutes and ill write u a script that will do everything for you.
    2008-03-07 12:06 AM
    Spread, to get the the private/var/root you have to download, assuming you're using Windows, WinSCP. From what I understand in my own using of it, is it basically allows you to go in and edit files on your iPhone.
    2008-03-07 12:12 AM
    ok once you have BSD Subsystem and OpenSSH installed, do exactly this:

1) download WinSCP
    2) connect to your iphone using the iphone's ip address (the iphone and computer must be on wifi)
    3) unzip the attachment that im giving you
    4) drag the folder "extra" into the "/" folder on WinSCP
    5) execute this command (by pressing control+t):
    /extra/install.sh

6)enjoy
    Last edited by mbrooksr; 2008-03-07 at 12:25 AM.
    2008-03-07 12:17 AM
    actually use this file instead, its coded better (still same instructions as before)
    2008-03-07 12:22 AM
    attachment:
    Attached Files
    2008-03-07 12:25 AM
    Hi Everyone

I actually didn't need to download, modify, hack, etc anything. I contacted Tmobile and got my SK Unlimited plan switched over the the regular unlimited internet plan, put internet2.voicestream.com in the APN and it worked like a charm.

I would advise others against downloading anything to their phone that isn't absolutely necessary. In my case, I didn't need any other mods than the standard unlock.

Thanks for all who tried to help regardless. Cheers
    2008-03-07 10:43 PM
    Thanks for this info everyone- I just unlocked my iPhone last night.

I called Tmo this morning to get the total internet package (I have a SKLX) and I was told I had to wait until my next billing cycle on April 6th!!! I am so bummed.

I am actually contemplating going to AT&T and using the prepaid option. (I really just want internet/music capabilities with the iphone, I can't cancel Tmo just yet). Should I do this?
    2008-03-08 09:44 PM
    That's bogus info. Call back and talk to someone in the unsupported handset department. They got me set up on the plan I needed in minutes. You just got someone who doesn't know what they are talking about in customer service. You never need to wait for your billing cycle to get a plan modification. Call back and talk to someone else
    2008-03-09 08:02 PM
    YOu can do what i did and just go log on to the tmobile site and change your plan on there to the unlimted one heh. Alot easier and this way you dont have to talk to dumb people
    2008-03-09 08:16 PM
    i am in the exact same position, swtiching from sidekick-> iphone, im unsure of the firmware version, and i dont know what APN means, or how to change it

please help
    2008-03-13 03:44 AM
    You all need to go to the tmo site on the internet. From there log into your plan. After that, change your plan from the sidekick plan to the total internet.

APN = i don't recall what it stands for, but you can get there by pressing "settings" on the iphone, then press "general", then press "network", then press "EDGE"......

see it? input internet2.voicestream.com (I think that was the setting).

But anyway, that's how you get to the APN
    2008-03-13 03:54 AM
    ok i have done what spead said

Got rid of my Sidekick umlimited plan
    Added 5.99 unlimited internet plan
    and just incase added 400 text messages for 4.99

and i will update as I go,

Any more suggestions? spread?
    2008-03-13 04:13 AM
23 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD