User Tag List

I'm w/ Tmob and want a better phone than the POS thats a bout to die right now. I wanna know where I can find the best price (other than using google), which iPhone to get for the value (1st gen or 3G) and what features are missing or the downside. can't seem to find all the answers I need. Like will I be able to get on the internet if I don't have an internet plan or dpo I have to get one? Stuff like that. Any advice or explanations are welcome!
    2009-03-18 07:14 PM
    My personal suggestion at this point in time is to check either ebay or Craig's list for an iphone as far as locations go.

If you want MMS (picture messaging), the ability to stream music through Bluetooth headphones, or the ability to do real-time turn-by-turn GPS tracking, get the iPhone 3g. It will cost more (usually $100-200 additional), but the new version of the software that will be released will not have these features available for the first generation iphone, unless the great folks that unlock/jailbreak these things can find a way to include it, as Apple has said they are not enabling these features for the first gen iphones. You can also get a 16 GB iphone in the 3g, once again for a price premium. However, if these features aren't important to you and price is, go with the first gen. The only other advantage to the 3g that I can think of is it uses a standard headphone jack instead of one that requires a very skinny tip/shielding to the headphones.

As far as getting on the internet goes, it honestly doesn't matter which one you choose as T-Mo's 3g network runs on a different frequency, you will be connecting using Edge speeds (actual connection speeds may vary by area), but either phone should be fine. You will need some type of internet connection, and that will depend on your use. There's a thread on here about how to still get t-zones for $5.99/mo for unlimited internet. If you can get it, do it. If not, they have a newer plan called web2go that runs $9.99/mo for either 50 MB of data and 200 text messages (I believe) or 100 MB of data with no additional text messages. There is also a plan for either $19.99 or $24.99 for their unlimited data. Unless you plan on trying to teather your laptop/computer to it, I'd suggest starting with the 100 MB plan (or t-zones if you can get them to switch you over to it), as they still cap the max cost you can spend to $24.99 I believe even if you go over the 100 MB mark. Just don't tell them you're getting an iphone as they will want to make you sign up with the higher plan.

It's also your choice whether to buy one pre-unbroken/jailbroken or to do it yourself. Usually, a higher cost to get one already done, but once again, your choice. Finally, the rumors are a new iphone is arriving around June-August if you want to wait, prices may drop on the current gen used market, but that would depend on your financial situation.

Hope this helps!
    2009-03-18 07:53 PM
    Well I've still got my 1st Gen iPhone and I can already bluetooth files using iBluetooth to any other make of phone, MMS using swirlymms, forward texts and delete individual texts using BiteSMS, cut & paste with clippy, save and synch lists with Zenbe, take better pictures with Snapture and much much more, so who needs Firmware 3.0.

I've also got the easiest to unlock and jailbreak iphone apple made which is more robust than the 3G (IMHO) ok I've not got bluetooth stereo that's the only pain but all the rest is well worth having and I see no need to upgrade to get GPS, my tomtom does that much better. so I say stick with 1st Gen and wait to see what new iphone arrives later before you worry about upgrading again.

with an unlocked iphone you can choose whatever SIM package gives you the call rates, SMS and data package that suits so your not tied to an iphone tariff.

Have fun!!!
    Last edited by ericidle; 2009-03-18 at 08:13 PM.
    Eric's iPhone 4 4.01 offically unlocked
    2009-03-18 08:10 PM
    synbios pretty much covered everything you need to know.

To add to what he said about 3g... Just know that T-Mobile uses a different frequency for 3g, which means the iPhone 3G's radio literally cannot tune to the T-Mobile 3g frequency. Unless someone figures out how to modify the iPhone 3G's internal radio (wouldn't be surprised if this happened, but don't count on it), you will be stuck with Edge speeds.

I've been a tmobile guy for years and just set up my iPhone 2g with it. Thanks to this forum I was able to unlock, jailbreak, and ad the $5.99 tzones plan within a day. Good stuff!!
    2009-03-18 08:16 PM
    2g or 3g wont make any difference on tmobile.3g is way sexier .Thats about it.And 2g will cost you less.Check your local craigslist or ebay.
    2009-03-18 09:43 PM
    Thanks for all the help! I'm still a little ways off from getting it. Trying to get my money right and wait to see if anything hot drops like the Pre or something? Either way a new unlocked phone is getting copped soon! Although I would also like to know what you guys think of just getting an Ipod touch for apps only and then copping some other phone for mostly calling and some internet use.
    2009-03-19 03:10 AM
    Thanks for all the help! I'm still a little ways off from getting it. Trying to get my money right and wait to see if anything hot drops like the Pre or something? Either way a new unlocked phone is getting copped soon! Although I would also like to know what you guys think of just getting an Ipod touch for apps only and then copping some other phone for mostly calling and some internet use.
    I meant to hit quote and i hit thanks.So now you have your first thanks .
    No just wait and get an iphone .YOU WILL LOVE IT.In meantime keep checking craigslist some good deals come up every now and then.
    2009-03-19 11:24 AM
    I just picked up a 1st gen Iphone and am running Tmo. The main factor for me was the lack of 3G on Tmo. I figured, why would I pay for the 3G if I can't connect with my service provider. I don't need turn by turn gps as my car has one, and I am using swirly mms, so really those are the features that I was able to "live without".
    2009-03-20 04:24 PM
    .......... think of just getting an Ipod touch for apps only and then copping some other phone for mostly calling and some internet use.
    I had a 2G iPhone for about a year and never adopted it to use as a "phone", although I gave it several runs. My complaints were it's big, ringer volume too low, no video camera, no picture messaging...but the real killer was I didn't have an internet plan (T-Mo prepaid). All the stuff that the Iphone is really good at was only available to me when I had a wifi connection. It wasn't worth putting up with the negatives as a phone. I got rid of it and got the 2nd gen Touch mainly because it was a lot cheaper than a 3GiPhone. Also, I didn't want to re-learn jailbreaking etc.

If you've an internet plan with T-Mo and want to spend the time getting educated on setup then go for the iPhone. There's fixes for some of the 2Gs shortcomings that were mentioned above but if you can afford it go for the 3G iPhone.
    2009-03-21 03:02 PM
    If you plan to use T-Mobile, why pay more for a phone which you will be unable to use its main feature "3G"?

2G all the way...

3g is way sexier .Thats about it.
    With the cover, they all look the same
    2009-03-24 03:01 PM
    The original iPhone (1st gen) will not support all the functions in the soon to be release OS 3.0. You know all that cool stuff both iPhone models should have had in the first place. Putting aside whether you need GPS, 3G, etc, something you should consider is the age of the unit.

Both are great models, but any iPhone 1st generation model you buy used will have a diminshed battery capacity because it is approaching 2 years old. Li-ion batteries can only be charged so many times before they start losing capacity.

Even with an extended warranty, you would be at or near the end of that warranty on the original iPhone. The batteries in the 1st generation iPhones are soldered to the circuit board, making it much harder to replace. While Apple has yet to make an iPhone or iTouch that has user replaceable battery, it is much easier to replace the battery on an iPhone 3G.
    2009-03-25 07:50 AM