User Tag List

I know it's kind of off topic but does anyone know a good app that will allow text messaging through data/internet? Preferably one that's free and/or cheap.

I only ask because I have a sidekick plan which I'm getting ready to switch to webtogo/tzones/whatever and I just want to know if I should add a text msg plan in addition to it, or just get the data plan.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    2009-09-25 12:39 AM
    Hey everyone,

Just registered so I could talk to you guys, but have been reading the forums for several months now.

I have an iPhone 2G on 3.0 software... I have T-Mobile Flexpay which I have not heard too many people mention here, and I used to have a Sidekick. I still have the Sidekick in my possession, and attempt to use it every now and then when the iPhone isn't working.

I called T-Mobile at the number for the iPhone department, which does not work, by the way, and only directs you to the main line. When I spoke "iPhone" in the automated system, it simply asks, "Are you calling about a phone?" So it does not acknowledge that either.

All the people at T-Mobile I talked to continued to tell me that iPhones will not work with their plans. I already advised I am calling them from it right now. Finally, I contacted the cancelation department, to get some type of deal... He set me up with the $34.99 Smartphone Data Plan which includes the unlimited text messaging feature and Internet.

Does anyone know if this plan will work with the iPhone?

Update: Just tested it with my iPhone and it works. So hopefully my experience will help some of you other folks out.

Did not have to input any APN servers either.
    2009-09-25 08:51 PM
    yeah but did you have to sign a 12 month contract? if not, please post what you had to say to the cancellation department cause i would gladly do that play for 5 dollars more than i am paying!

Right now i just started working again so i need a cell but cant afford 3g for 75 a month thru at&t and temporarily am hooked up thru the SK plan for 30 a month which still gets email (most importantly there is no cell plan out ther wiht email and infinite text for $1 a day) but 35 is damn near close and wihtout a contract ill hapily pay that but i hope in less than 12 months to be ready to upgrade to 3g... making this plan not the most ideal for my situation if i am still locked into a 12 mo agreement.

thanks for the info! please let me know if you are in a 12 month agreement or not and also if you can let us know how speeds are as well cause i may be out the door for the same plan!
    2009-09-25 09:31 PM
    Flexpay monthly is no contract. You MUST have a minute plan and the cheapest is 29.99. You can try to get Web2Go internet for 9.99 and setup easypay with a credit card or check to avoid the $5 surcharge.

Lovely

Not
    2009-09-25 10:39 PM
    yeah a month or so back when web2go had a temp blackout i activated on web2go little did i know that it would be up and running in a few days and i deactivated the sim the same day because i didnt want to pay for anything... i like txt anyways so ur talking 30 for voice ill never use then more for txt at least 10 for infinite and then 10 for data which i miss! thats 50 bucks or 20 on top of my 30 or 66% increase in my monthly payment

forcing people into the flexpay voice plans is killing me cause i cant justify the price increase... i have a phone ands for texting and calling triple A in a jam thats it!
    2009-09-26 04:40 AM
    So what are you guys paying per month, total?
    2009-09-27 04:08 AM
    I'm paying $65 a month with taxes, includes Unlimited SMS/MMS 1000 whenever minutes and unlimited data.

Lovely

Not
    2009-09-27 04:15 AM
    2009-09-27 09:39 AM
    yeah but did you have to sign a 12 month contract? if not, please post what you had to say to the cancellation department cause i would gladly do that play for 5 dollars more than i am paying!

Right now i just started working again so i need a cell but cant afford 3g for 75 a month thru at&t and temporarily am hooked up thru the SK plan for 30 a month which still gets email (most importantly there is no cell plan out ther wiht email and infinite text for $1 a day) but 35 is damn near close and wihtout a contract ill hapily pay that but i hope in less than 12 months to be ready to upgrade to 3g... making this plan not the most ideal for my situation if i am still locked into a 12 mo agreement.

thanks for the info! please let me know if you are in a 12 month agreement or not and also if you can let us know how speeds are as well cause i may be out the door for the same plan!
    Alright, I am on the FlexPay plan. I guess two years ago, when I first signed up, my credit was wack, so I had to go with this FlexPay in order to get a phone with Tmo. I signed a two year contract. I am binded by this contract which ends in January of 2010.

To get to the cancellation department, I simply said "cancel account" into the phone system and it transferred me to Eric in the cancellation department. Basically, I had already spoken with two other reps prior to speaking with him, so I just explained how frustrated I am that I can't get my bill any lower "in this economy" and blah blah blah. I bullshitted them by telling them that I wanted to cancel, which I didn't, into giving me a better plan. I got the $35 data plan but he gave me the first month free + two weeks. So for 6 weeks I got this data plan for free.

Personally, as soon as my contract ends with Tmo, I am switching to AT&T as my provider. Yes, I will still have a jailbroken iPhone but the building that I work in gets NO SERVICE for Tmo. Verizon, Sprint and AT&T customers, even MetroPCS customers get excellent reception in my building. Tmobile has SERIOUS problems. However, they are very customer based, so they do go out of their way to please you, but I'd rather have quality service, than to be on the phone with Customer Care every week.

Oh, he also said that the only way my contract would extend another two years is if I changed my minute plan. That I did not do. As tempting as it was. I just cannot go with Tmobile for another year.
    2009-09-28 11:19 PM
    Just because you have service issues doesn't mean T-Mobile has a serious problem. A serious problem would be having reception but not being able to get a call through, T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage in your area. Happens with every carrier.

Lovely

Not
    2009-09-29 04:31 AM
    I'm paying $65 a month with taxes, includes Unlimited SMS/MMS 1000 whenever minutes and unlimited data.
    wow thats cheap..is the 1000 mins that promotion from a bit ago?
    cuz i have myfave 300 plus unlimited data/sms/mms for $77 with taxes lol

well i called tmobile today and told them i wanted the web2go
    n i have a razor phone n i gave them the imei then the lady told me it was going be $34.99 or whatever the new unlimited cost im like no i want the web2go for $20 she said i couldnt get that (WTF) cuz thw $19.99 was a promotional plan no longer available =/
    so told her not change my plan then...now wut?
    someone with a shadow be nice n let me use ur imei # lol
    Last edited by RGee; 2009-09-29 at 04:53 PM.
    2009-09-29 04:27 PM
    Just because you have service issues doesn't mean T-Mobile has a serious problem. A serious problem would be having reception but not being able to get a call through, T-Mobile doesn't have good coverage in your area. Happens with every carrier.
    I think it is fair to say that myself, and everyone else in my building that has TMo has a serious problem with Tmo. It is quite odd that they show this area (because I have called them on this issue several times before) as a very good receptable area, but inside the building there is something blocking their reception. I would say this is a Tmobile problem because of the simple fact that every other service provider has excellent reception in the same building. I will state again that Tmobile has serious problems. Maybe not in your area, but in my area, no one is really happy. I wouldn't just say it was limited to service issues alone either. I have all kinds of weird problems going on with my phones and service.
    2009-09-29 09:39 PM
    AT&T and serious problems too, I don't get any service. Oh yeah and in my bathroom EV-DO from Verizon goes out, you know what, Verizon has serious problems too. You should overhaul their network

wow thats cheap..is the 1000 mins that promotion from a bit ago?
    cuz i have myfave 300 plus unlimited data/sms/mms for $77 with taxes lol

well i called tmobile today and told them i wanted the web2go
    n i have a razor phone n i gave them the imei then the lady told me it was going be $34.99 or whatever the new unlimited cost im like no i want the web2go for $20 she said i couldnt get that (WTF) cuz thw $19.99 was a promotional plan no longer available =/
    so told her not change my plan then...now wut?
    someone with a shadow be nice n let me use ur imei # lol
    Well it has to be a T-Mobile branded phone, because ANY non-T-Mobile phone will get the more expensive data.

It's just the 1000 minutes, I didn't sign up for the promo.
    Last edited by GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL; 2009-09-30 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Lovely

Not
    2009-09-30 12:02 AM
    Too bad Tmo doesn't offer 3G speeds. :P
    2009-09-30 12:35 AM
    dude 3g speeds are yours with at&t starting at 75 a month why pay that much here?

i think that this weekend... my email stopped synching over edge maybe its a temporary problem but the SK plan has had its last straw, i really want data for 35 not in a contract, anyone with an idea on how to get this lemme know but as far as i know this doesn't exhist with either att or tmobile

right now i pay a dollar a day for free texting... seeing as email is a major part of my job it seems they have finally forced me to upgrade and being that there is no longer web2go its a contract for 35 a month or just give in and get a new 3gs... either way seems that 35 on top of 30 plus 5 more for text is insane, in fact its just 5 dollars more a month and the thing is much faster than edge and built in GPS is a godsend compared to triangulation which just doesnt work when you live in a hilly place!!!

i am def gonna hold out a week or so but it looks like im gonna bend over and take it lovely every month for now on! whther its tmobile or at&t who is handling it well... that all depends on whether its a 5 dollar difference, cause if it is this is certainly an easy decision

i have an issue with cell service as well, try going outside or to the roof if you have cell recpetion then tmobile is technically not lying about their service in your area. Verizon gets great signal in my place but at&t and tmobile suffer (i imagine this is certainly due to diff types of signals) in fact this place was made back in teh late 60s and i have a theory that lead paint that has been painted over since has a lot to do with this problem because near a window things are great!
    2009-09-30 12:44 AM
    AT&T and serious problems too, I don't get any service. Oh yeah and in my bathroom EV-DO from Verizon goes out, you know what, Verizon has serious problems too. You should overhaul their network

Well it has to be a T-Mobile branded phone, because ANY non-T-Mobile phone will get the more expensive data.

It's just the 1000 minutes, I didn't sign up for the promo.
    ah i see now, well i just went and got the smartphone data plan since i need the internet when im not home so now my question is what apn am i suppose to use?internet3.voicestream.com?
    2009-09-30 10:43 PM
    You'll want to use internet2.voicestream.com as your account is not provisioned for internet3 (it is an older VPN APN that is no longer offered here at TMO). There is a known issue at T-Mo with our towers and registering non-tmobile phones thats been affecting some iphone users; basically internet2.voicestream.com will yeild a negative result when accessing safari. If this happens go ahead and use epc.tmobile.com as it will work with the smartphone data plan.
    2009-10-02 01:28 AM
    You'll want to use internet2.voicestream.com as your account is not provisioned for internet3 (it is an older VPN APN that is no longer offered here at TMO). There is a known issue at T-Mo with our towers and registering non-tmobile phones thats been affecting some iphone users; basically internet2.voicestream.com will yeild a negative result when accessing safari. If this happens go ahead and use epc.tmobile.com as it will work with the smartphone data plan.
    thx for the infozzzzz.

Lovely

Not
    2009-10-02 03:55 PM
    thank u for the info and thanks GIRL for the help as well
    2009-10-02 09:51 PM
    Also, if it hasn't been finalized as to why the sidekick internet plan wont work, the Sidekick plan will not work with iPhones. This includes the dollar a day prepaid package that suddenly stopped working in august-september. And here's why: T-mobile does not provide internet service for any device. All data is outsourced through other companies, blackberry goes through RIM (manufacturer), Sidekick goes through DANGER (manufacturer), and the phones that use Smartphone packages go through another company (forgot their name).
    DANGER realized that several prepaid iphone users were taking advantage of their Sidekick internet by using the hip-top APN. DANGER's stance (not official but easy to put together) is that anyone who wants to use DANGER's internet must use a DANGER phone. Why? Because it's more profitable for DANGER to sell someone internet & a device. I'd assume the profit margin isn't large enough for them to want to put that extra burden on their servers.
    It's kind of like driving your Lexus into a Ford service department and expecting them to be able to change the transmission. Or a more relative analogy, Expecting your Windows Mobile phone to connect to the blackberry servers. WRONG.
    Yes I work at T-Mobiles Tier 3 Data Support Department and no you can't have my Rep ID.
    2009-10-05 06:38 PM
381 ... 81617181920
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD