So I am hoping it is not MMSActivate2G by itself. I'm hoping its just conflicting with something, causing the awful battery life.
    Based on what I've read others have done (besides removing MMSActivate2G), here is my shotgun approach:
    I have
    • under MobileSubstrate Addons, MailtoAttachmentM... set to off

• disabled the numeric battery indicator in SBSettings

• push set to off

• disabled MMS (I know others have said this does nothing)

These below also probably have no effect, just trying to make a true shotgun approach, without making my phone inoperable.
    • wifi is off

• bluetooth off

• location off

I just disconnected the phone from a full charge at 12:00PM EST.
    I would expect to know the outcome by tomorrow morning, as I don't plan on using the phone today a lot more than a few SMS here and there. Will try to post results then.

As another thought, how many who are having bad battery life have both SBsettings and Bossprefs installed?
    A desparate move would be to uninstall these altogether to see if it makes a difference. I'll wait till tomorrow.
    Last edited by nouse41; 2009-07-08 at 07:30 PM.
    2009-07-08 07:25 PM
    I disabled the MMS in messages, uninstalled ActivateMMS2G and installed SwirlyMMS2. The battery drain is not worth standard MMS in my opinion.

8GB iPhone 2G
    3.1.2 - Unlocked and Jailbroken

AMD Athlon 5000 Dual-Core 2.2GHz with 4.00 GB RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
    2009-07-08 08:41 PM
    Just to update ya'll...
    My battery is draining quick again, so definetly ActivateMMS2G.

I disabled the MMS in messages, uninstalled ActivateMMS2G and installed SwirlyMMS2. The battery drain is not worth standard MMS in my opinion.
    Is it working for the 3.0 already?

I might go that route if there is no solution soon for the battery drain problem.
    Housekeepin'?
    2009-07-08 10:54 PM
    can you let me know if your data plan is working im having trouble with edge not working on a 2g on 3.0.
    2009-07-09 04:23 AM
    So it seems the battery life still stinks. By 1PM today, battery was down to 18% after I re-enabled battery percentage to check it. One thing that is strange to me is I have both SBsettings AND Boss prefs installed, but when I check cydia to remove Boss prefs, it doesn't show up.
    I'm going to try to reinstall Boss prefs so I can uninstall it, then see waht happens after a full charge. One thing I forgot in my shotgun approach is to turn off EDGE in SBsettings. Again, not sure it would do anything, I just want to do as many things at once to see if any of them fix the problem. At this point, I'll only post my findings if I find a fix other than uninstalling ActivateMMS2G.

So I am hoping it is not MMSActivate2G by itself. I'm hoping its just conflicting with something, causing the awful battery life.
    Based on what I've read others have done (besides removing MMSActivate2G), here is my shotgun approach:
    I have
    • under MobileSubstrate Addons, MailtoAttachmentM... set to off

• disabled the numeric battery indicator in SBSettings

• push set to off

• disabled MMS (I know others have said this does nothing)

These below also probably have no effect, just trying to make a true shotgun approach, without making my phone inoperable.
    • wifi is off

• bluetooth off

• location off

I just disconnected the phone from a full charge at 12:00PM EST.
    I would expect to know the outcome by tomorrow morning, as I don't plan on using the phone today a lot more than a few SMS here and there. Will try to post results then.

As another thought, how many who are having bad battery life have both SBsettings and Bossprefs installed?
    A desparate move would be to uninstall these altogether to see if it makes a difference. I'll wait till tomorrow.
    2009-07-09 08:13 PM
    Here's my expericence: My battery was draining 20% overnight in standby mode with activatemms2g installed. Did not drain at all overnight without activatemms2g. Found a new MMS patch, Enable MMS 2g from the repo.***************** That drained the battery also, about 5% every 2 hours in standby. Tested everything, it definately was the MMS patch that was draining the battery.

Then last night, I installed the Enable MMS patch on my wife's iphone. (she had ActiveMMS2g previously but it wasn't working - she could send but not receive) Every picture message that I sent her over the past week, started showing up on her phone.

This morning, I took my phone off the charger and it's been 3 1/2 hours and my battery is still at 100%

So I'm thinking that the problem was that the picture messages I had sent my wife (went through on my phone, but she never received) were somehow still draining my battery.

Edit: nevermind, still draining, apparantly after charging all night the phone likes to stay at 100% for a few hours.
    Last edited by aje_bc; 2009-07-10 at 09:36 PM.
    2009-07-10 06:43 PM
    While that sounds interesting, 3 1/2 hours standby is not a lot of time. Are you sure other apps were not running during the other time you tested. Let us know how the battery is after 24 hours of a full charge. If you find there is a connection, maybe we can find a way to cancel unsent messages.

ANYWAY, for now I found something in this post that gives the following recommendation:
    Found on another forum:
    SSHed in their iPhone and moved the APSD file from start up in: /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.apsd.plist

The person moved it into a dummy file somewhere else.. and reset the iPhone (iphone still worked).

According to this person the battery definitely seem to last longer and it did not get warm.
    So rather than SSH, I used iFile to move said file to my var...Documents folder. I have not charged yet, but my battery was dropping like crazy since a full charge this morning. From 7 til 12 it was down to 74% and I hadn't done anything on the phone yet, except check the battery. I will report back on Monday with my results after a complete discharge and recharge of my phone. I'd like to know what the purpose of this file is. I haven't googled it yet, but don't have the time right now. Anyone know?

Back on Monday
    Last edited by nouse41; 2009-07-10 at 07:17 PM.
    2009-07-10 07:13 PM
    Does setting push to off not accomplish the same thing?
    2009-07-11 12:18 AM
    Thanks for your reply. I am trying it too. I followed your method using iFile. I will report back.

Did it this morning, my initial observation is that my battery is not draining as fast as it was before.

While that sounds interesting, 3 1/2 hours standby is not a lot of time. Are you sure other apps were not running during the other time you tested. Let us know how the battery is after 24 hours of a full charge. If you find there is a connection, maybe we can find a way to cancel unsent messages.

ANYWAY, for now I found something in this post that gives the following recommendation:

So rather than SSH, I used iFile to move said file to my var...Documents folder. I have not charged yet, but my battery was dropping like crazy since a full charge this morning. From 7 til 12 it was down to 74% and I hadn't done anything on the phone yet, except check the battery. I will report back on Monday with my results after a complete discharge and recharge of my phone. I'd like to know what the purpose of this file is. I haven't googled it yet, but don't have the time right now. Anyone know?

Back on Monday
    A friend told me that APSD is the Apple Push Service Daemon.

It' s always running and keeps trying to connect over the Edge or Wifi. Therefore, when it's not connected it keeps trying to and draining the battery.

Another thing I noticed. I like to play iPod and use Safari at the same time before I moved the APSD file my IPhone would get hot! Now it does not!
    Last edited by madrich; 2009-07-12 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2009-07-12 01:01 AM
    so does SwirlyMMS cause this too, cause my brother wants MMS but not the battery drain.. So anyone have experience in swirly 3.0?
    2009-07-13 04:49 PM
    Swirly did not drain my battery in standby mode like the patch did. So hopefully that means that the patch can be fixed at some point.
    2009-07-13 07:04 PM
    I was going to leave the patch (activatemms2g) installed because my battery was draining fast before I installed it. Now, I will try my iPhone without it; just keeping APSD file under my documents.
    2009-07-13 07:49 PM
    So, while moving the file did give some improvement to my battery, it was not enough for my liking. I have hung up my coat for now and I uninstalled ActivateMMS2G. I feel like a beaten dog. Maybe when I have more time, or when someone else figures out what to do, I'll come back to it. Sorry to bail, I really wanted to solve this one. No MMS for me, for now. I left the ASPD file in Documents, and my battery is back to a reasonable usage.
    2009-07-13 08:59 PM
    Ok, I removed the activatemms2g patch, and left the APSD file in my documents. Afterwards I recharged my iPhone last night, and let it sleep. This morning it was still at 100%! Previously it would be 80%-75%.
    2009-07-14 03:29 PM
    yeah, I had the same problems on my 2G after installing activatemms2g... took it out and put swirly2 on the next day and was fine... I guess swirly is still the way to go...
    Never underestimate the determination of a kid who is time rich and cash poor. (Little Brother by Cory Doctorow)

2009-07-14 04:29 PM
    So I removed the "activatemms2g" hack from my cydia packages but I can still enable/disable and send/receive messages (when enabled, of course). And my batter life is still horrible. I've tried turning off messaging after removing the hack and battery life is still bad. Tried turning off percentage battery from SBSettings too. Tried turning off MMS AND battery percentage-- NO IMPROVEMENTS!! Any other suggestions?

16gb 2g iPhone- lasts me a strong day's worth with light-medium use (texts, games, music)- NO WIFI, NO BLUETOOH, NO LOCATION, EDGE AND PHONE ONLY
    2009-07-23 04:06 AM
    I don't really see that much of a difference in battery with the ActivateMMS patch installed, that is I hadn't noticed it until I saw this thread. I'll charge it 100% before i got to bed and report back.
    2009-07-23 06:10 AM
    Just a quick question for everyone having this battery problem. How many Restored from Backup after the upgrade to 3.0? My battery problem seems to have gotten a bit better (after removing and reinstalling the ActivateMMS from Cydia) but still not what it was pre-MMS.

Reading around the Dev Teams site, they say that restoring from backup instead of setting it up as new is the leading cause of the battery drain.

So I'm wondering how many of us (yes I restored from backup) have this in common. I haven't redone my phone yet but am willing to if it will fix this draining issue, I'm getting tired of carrying around my cable everywhere I go.
    2009-07-23 06:54 AM
    Just a quick question for everyone having this battery problem. How many Restored from Backup after the upgrade to 3.0? My battery problem seems to have gotten a bit better (after removing and reinstalling the ActivateMMS from Cydia) but still not what it was pre-MMS.

Reading around the Dev Teams site, they say that restoring from backup instead of setting it up as new is the leading cause of the battery drain.

So I'm wondering how many of us (yes I restored from backup) have this in common. I haven't redone my phone yet but am willing to if it will fix this draining issue, I'm getting tired of carrying around my cable everywhere I go.
    yes that could possibly be the cost of battery drain!
    hmm lemme know after you restore and use as "new phone" and have the mms patch installed along with it. let us know if battery life is still horrible...if not then i'm gonna have to restore as new phone to get rid of this stupid battery drainage...it's so annoying. i want native mms on my iphone 2g but i have to charge literally everyday!!!
    2009-07-23 01:43 PM
    yes that could possibly be the cost of battery drain!
    hmm lemme know after you restore and use as "new phone" and have the mms patch installed along with it. let us know if battery life is still horrible...if not then i'm gonna have to restore as new phone to get rid of this stupid battery drainage...it's so annoying. i want native mms on my iphone 2g but i have to charge literally everyday!!!
    Don't forget that li-ion batteries get worse over time. They begin their aging cycle as soon as they're manufactured and will predictably lose their charge with the passing years, depending on how they're treated.

For example, a battery stored with 100% charge at 77 degrees will lose 20% of it's capacity in a year. The same battery stored with 40% charge will lose 5% capacity. Basically, the hotter it gets, the more charge it will lose. Stored at 140 degrees it will lose 80% in 6 months! Don't leave your phone in hot cars!

2g users should see their batteries beginning to die off. Last night, I restored my 2g, re-jailbroke, and did NOT restore from backup. I charged to 100% and turned on fetch to 1 hour intervals. After 8 hours of being OFF the battery was at approximately 85%.

The point is, people who are complaining may just be seeing the natural decline of the iPhone's li-ion battery.
    2009-07-23 06:51 PM
82 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD