I was on the phone with TMO troubleshooting my MMS problem and the tech sent me this handy little "go to guide" if my settings ever got messed up or I had to restore for whatever reason. I know most of you already have this info, and there have been a few posts about each individual ones, but I thought I'd post it in an all-in-one guide for those who need it. Also, despite what people may think TMO is really helpful when it comes to troubleshooting the iPhone, you just need to request their Tier 3 Data support.

The first section here is setting the phone to accept the "Total Internet Package". If using T-zones or Web2go and you still want to see if you can get it to work, everything is the same except change the APN to wap.voicestream.com for T-zones, and epc.tmobile.com for web2go.

1. From the Main Menu, tap Settings.
    2. Verify that Wi-Fi is set to Off or Disabled -- this will ensure that no Wi-Fi signals are interfering with your Internet access. To take advantage of local Wi-Fi at a later time, feel free to go back and turn this setting On; just make sure to turn it Off again when you are done using the Wi-Fi network.
    3. Tap General Settings, then tap Network.
    4. Turn Data Roaming On -- this will allow your iPhone to locate T-Mobile’s data network.
    5. If you see a setting for 3G, turn it Off -- the iPhone cannot connect to T-Mobile’s 3G network on the WCDMA 1700 band, and this setting will interfere with its attempt to connect to our EDGE network for service.
    6. Tap Cellular Data Network (this setting may be labeled EDGE instead).
    7. In the APN field, enter internet2.voicestream.com -- this tells T-Mobile which version of our Internet network you want to connect to.
    8. Leave the Username and Password fields blank -- T-Mobile will assign this information based on your SIM card information.
    9. Return to the Main Menu and open Safari to browse the Internet.

If you are interested in adding Picture Messaging to your iPhone, you should do the following.

1. From the Main Menu, tap Settings.

2. Tap General Settings, then tap Network.

3. Tap Cellular Data Network, then tap on MMS:

APN: wap.voicestream.com
    Username: <blank>
    Password: <blank>
    MMSC: http://216.155.174.84/servlets/mms
    MMS Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080
    MMS Max Message Size: <default>
    MMS UA Prof URL: <blank>

In order to set up your T-Mobile email account on your iPhone (or any other email account), you will first need to set up an email account (go to Unsupported Browser to set up a T-Mobile email account) and the follow the settings below.

1. Tap Settings, then tap Mail, then tap Accounts.
    2. Tap Add Account, and when prompted for the account type, tap Other. Note that the iPhone will present options for common email account types; if you want to set up one of these accounts, use those settings instead.
    3. Tap POP if asked what type of email account you wish to set up. This is the most common type of email account, but if your settings suggest you use IMAP or another type of server, follow those instructions instead.
    4. In the Name, field, enter your name.
    5. In the Address field, enter your email address.
    6. In the Description field, enter a nickname for the account, such as T-Mobile or My Email.
    7. Scroll to Incoming Mail Server.
    8. In the Host Name field, enter the email server. For T-Mobile email, this is myemail.t-mobile.com
    9. In the User Name field, enter the email server username. For T-Mobile email, this is the User ID provided at your My T-Mobile page.
    10. In the Password field, enter the password on your email account.
    11. Scroll to Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP).
    12. In the Host Name field, enter the outgoing mail server name. For T-Mobile email, this is myemail.t-mobile.com
    13. If required, in the User Name field, enter the outgoing mail server username.
    14. If required, in the Password field, enter the outgoing mail server password.
    15. Tap Save.
    2009-07-08 01:37 AM
    Thanks for the info. Should be helpful to some.
    2009-07-08 01:41 AM
    Those picture messaging settings wont work for the iphone 2g right?
    2009-07-08 01:45 AM
    Those picture messaging settings wont work for the iphone 2g right?
    yup they sure will, those are the settings im using and its working just5 fine. picture quality is pretty decent too
    2009-07-09 10:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD