Yes, the sidekick prepaid plan has stopped working. It's been confirmed by T-Mobile PR on Twitter, numerous CSR agents, corporate stores, and many users on this and other forums. There is also an official announcement on the T-Mobile forums by a moderator. See the bottom of the page.

However, there is something that you can do. Give T-Mobile feedback in this thread on their forums: Prepaid Data Services - Prepaid Discussion - T-Mobile Forums

They're asking for our opinions on prepaid data plans. this is your chance to help make things happen. Please, no angry rants or trolls. You're only making things worse.

Your options:
    • Data for non HTTP apps seems to still work. IRC and mail do, at least.
    • VPNs have had limited success. Search for Hotspot Shield for iPhone.
    • SSH proxies and Tor have been successful, but they are extremely slow over EDGE. Only recommended if you HAVE to have your data.
    • AT&T GoPhone has 100MB/month data for $19.99. A decent temporary option.
    • You can convert to Flexpay and get unlimited data + 300 text messages for $24.99/month. No calls included as far as I can tell.
    2009-08-10 11:26 PM
    or u can get unlimited web2go for 20 bucks which includes unlimited text and data which i switched over to today
    2009-08-10 11:46 PM
    or u can get unlimited web2go for 20 bucks which includes unlimited text and data which i switched over to today
    BUT hes addressing prepaid plans. Web2go requires a voice plan which I guess alot of prepaid users dont want or need. Not sure. I have no clue about prepaid but I think they are the reason we all got shut off using the sidekick plan on the iPhone.

I could be wrong but it seems prepaid users were (from what I read on this forum and others) continuing to use data for months with just $1 credit on their prepaid or no credit. I'm not pointing fingers (well I guess I kinda am) but I dont care I just was pissed and thinking TMobile was trying to piss off customers who have been with them for years just cause we were trying to stay on the $19.99 plan we got in the very beginning.

I'm happy for now. Web2go seems to be the same as my sidekick plan. Price wise, speed, etc.

Good luck to prepaid users. Hoping u guys get a fair deal. If TMo continues to raise rate plans I think alot of iPhone users on Tmo will jump ship and just switch to AT&T.
    2009-08-11 12:46 AM
    Just gave t-mobile feedback about creating a prepaid smartphone plan similar to the prepaid Sidekick plan.
    2009-08-11 05:06 AM
    Thanks

Hopefully they'll do something mildly sensible and listen to their customers
    2009-08-11 07:11 AM
    • You can convert to Flexpay and get unlimited data + 300 text messages for $24.99/month. No calls included as far as I can tell.
    I don't see this plan on their website. Is it $24.99/mo total or is a voice plan required + $24.99 on top of that?
    2009-08-11 07:58 AM
    I believe that voice is required, although you might be able to get it with a cheaper non-advertised voice plan or pure data if you do a bit of wrangling with customer service.
    2009-08-11 07:27 PM
    I just got off the phone with some guy at the T-Mobile tech center. Basically what he told me is that they have locked the sidekick plan internet to ONLY SIDEKICKS. He said the internet will work for a little bit until it registers with the database as a non-sidekick device and locks the internet out until it registers as a sidekick. I haven't found a way around this and I asked the guy if he could do anything about it and he said no. I even told him I've been using the plan for 2 years and had 2 sidekicks break on me due to poor quality. Track ball stopped working on one and the other one randomly turns off and takes hours to retrieve my contacts and texts and such.

So until hackers find a way around this all of us using sidekick plans on any other phone other than the sidekick, well, we don't get internet. Which is one of the biggest attractions to the plan.
    2009-08-11 11:33 PM
    I'll be switching to iwireless Megatalk. Unlimited voice, text, and data for $49/month. [link]
    2009-08-12 02:00 AM
    So long story short, those of us who want a reasonably priced data-only plan are screwed? ATT's GoPhone data and T-Mobile's Web2Go both seem to be available as additions ON TOP OF an existing voice plan.
    2009-08-12 03:37 AM
    Pretty much yes.
    Or go get a sidekick and still use the plan.
    2009-08-12 07:17 AM
    "SSH proxies and Tor have been successful, but they are extremely slow over EDGE. Only recommended if you HAVE to have your data."

How do I do this? Hotspot Sheild seemed to have stopped working on my phone... Please and thank you!
    2009-08-16 01:38 AM
    So long story short, those of us who want a reasonably priced data-only plan are screwed? ATT's GoPhone data and T-Mobile's Web2Go both seem to be available as additions ON TOP OF an existing voice plan.
    GoPhone PAYG data can be used by itself (you can sign up for the .25/minute plan and never make calls, put $20 bucks in your GoPhone account, and add the data feature via 611), but you have to modify APN settings for the iPhone to use the GoPhone's data feature.
    Also, IMO, 100MBs is only decent if you plan to surf occasionally and/or for email (streaming anything or tethering will eat 100Mbs up in short time) and is somewhat expensive as is. After adding in messaging plans (to cmpare to the SK plan) it's way expensive... you can find better options on postpaid or Flexpay really.

About $30/month for unlimited SMS and data was a great deal, while it lasted. I doubt T-Mobile will release a plan for cheap prepaid data anytime soon. They want to squeeze as much money from highly sought after features, SMS & data. Go figure.
    Member of the hackint0sh forums.
    HowardForums Member: Haas_Dave
    2009-08-17 12:09 AM
    Well this is my broken record but depending on the service you have with tmo web 2 go can be as low as $9.99 I have a family plan which is $149.99 a month for unlimited talk and text however I recently switched to the loyalty plan which puts me out at 89.98 unlimted talk 19.99 up to 3 lines unlimted text 19.98 (9.99) each for the our iPhones the towers are going to read your imei and know it's an iPhone so the reality is just as others are saying call TMO DO NOT GO INTO RETAIL LOCATIONS or other local providers and have the conversation some of those plans people are talking about are not actually unlimited data it's a watered down data with extremely minimal use like everything else it all depends on when you call and what promos are happening but a friend who was prepaid just went postpaid because he was eliglible for the loyalty deal
    Just adding my two cents but I did spend 3 motnhs analyzing cellular plans I mean I had friggin Spreadsheets on this stuff because I really wanted the best deal as a Financial Advisor I get way analytical on cost benefit stuff
    Later Folks
    Thanks to all of you @ Modmyi for all of the help you've provided
    Take a second and hit The Thanks button if someone helps you

2009-08-19 08:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD