3.1 unlock?
    ok so im about to buy an iPhone 3G in an hour,

the guys thats going to sell it to me said that he just updated it to 3.1. (with the apple direct update) . when i told him i was going to use it with t-mobile he said unlocking will work fine with 3.1.

my question is: Is he lying to me just so i can buy the iPhone from him? because i read that if you update to 3.1 (with the apple direct update) you were not able to unlock UNLESS you were lucky and had one of the rare iPhones 3Gs that had an older baseband.but then he said that the iPhone was only a couple weeks old

HELP PLEASE!!!!
    2009-10-15 11:54 PM
    I may be wrong, but updating to 3.1 changes the baseband. The only way to unlock it at that point is to downgrade to an older fw version with a custom ipsw.
    2009-10-16 01:31 AM
    dont buy it, hes just trying to get rid of the phone...

Its going to bring a WHOLE new world of complications... Just wait a little longer to find someone who hasn't updated for sure...
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2009-10-16 05:56 AM
    Yeah that guy has no idea what he's talking about. If he did a direct update from iTunes then it upgraded the baseband which means it can't be unlock for now. The only way to do it is to use the newest version of PwnageTool and create a custom .ipsw then do a restore with iTunes using the newly created fw. That way your baseband stays the same and you can ultrasn0w to unlock. What a lame guy trying to rip you off like that..
    2009-10-17 04:31 PM
    3.1 unlock?
    ok so im about to buy an iPhone 3G in an hour,

the guys thats going to sell it to me said that he just updated it to 3.1. (with the apple direct update) . when i told him i was going to use it with t-mobile he said unlocking will work fine with 3.1.

my question is: Is he lying to me just so i can buy the iPhone from him? because i read that if you update to 3.1 (with the apple direct update) you were not able to unlock UNLESS you were lucky and had one of the rare iPhones 3Gs that had an older baseband.but then he said that the iPhone was only a couple weeks old

HELP PLEASE!!!!
    yep he's lying. If it was only a couple weeks old it probably has a newer baseband is probably nondowngradable either. Always check bb and make sure its 4.26 before purchasing a 3G(S) if you plan on using it with another carrier
    2009-10-18 01:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD