Hi,
    For the past 45 days I've been searching the net trying to learn. I've also downloaded apps that didn't mount on my HD. The more I read and search , the more LOST I become.
    I don't know what firmware I have. I don't even know what 'firmware' means.
    I don't know what 4.0 means. NObody EVER explains the jargon for us non techies. I'm lost.
    I don't know any thing except that I have a white iPhone, 32GB. Given to me by my boss. She just upgraded to the newest one a couple of months ago. I've been reading everything I can on how to 'unlock' and or jailbreak this phone. I only want to use as a PHONE to get basic service with t-mobile.
    I have mac G-4.. with OS 10.4.11
    I will not likely be using the internet with my iphone.
    Just a phone to talk and text.(not even into texting)

thanks to anyone patient enough to help a LOW techie
    2010-11-16 04:58 PM
    We'll need a little info from you. Which iPhone do you have? Is it a 3g/3GS/4? What firmware are you running? To find out the firmware go to:

Settings > General > About > Version
    2010-11-16 07:09 PM
    Thanks for replying.
    you directed me :
    "To find out the firmware go to:

Settings > General > About > Version"

on the iPhone? I don't know where to do this. (or how) It is locked.. will that be an issue?
    Also, How do I find what model it is? On the back it reads: model A1303. It is white and is 32GB.
    Please advise.
    2010-11-16 11:35 PM
    what do you mean it is locked, with a passcode?
    WANT A UDID SLOT TO RUN BETA iOS FIRMWARE? 87 SLOTS AVALIABLE. $3 EACH PM ME
    2010-11-17 07:25 AM
    I look at the screen on the phone-
    it is black background
    upper left in small white letters reads: "No Service"
    upper middle of the screen is an icon of a small white padlock in 'locked' position
    upper right " " " " " " " battery indicating charge level
    below the padlock icon is the iTunes icon with an arrow pointing towards it from below with a USB plug( representation of one)
    on the bottom left of the screen- an arrow pointing to the right- towards the words " for emergency"
    This is what I have.

I did some searching on the net and most searches claimed that model a1303 is 3gs... correct?
    Last edited by chayimlife; 2010-11-17 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-11-17 12:38 PM
    Okay download f0recast and run it while you're phone is plugged in. Let us know what it says.

iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones
    2010-11-17 06:11 PM
    I tried your link.
    this is the error message i get:
    Safari can’t open the page “http://ih8sn0w.com/index.php/product...f0recast.snow” because Safari can’t find the server “ih8sn0w.com”.
    2010-11-17 09:37 PM
    Try again. I just clicked it and it worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using ModMyi
    2010-11-18 01:19 AM
    I did just try it again and the same problem. .. on both safari AND firefox... ugh... don't know why I'm getting this issue.. could it be my location?.. the server to this location is not kind ??
    my firefox is newer version too.
    safari might not be so new.. I can only do a version as high as allowed on os 10.4.11.
    might that be an issue???
    I'll keep trying.
    2010-11-18 01:49 AM
    iH8sn0w.com | Jailbreak your iPod touches and iPhones

Try clicking that link. The other one added a " at the end for me, and wouldn't work.

EDIT: actually that seems to be the same link, nevermind. Well it works fine on my end too.
    2010-11-18 02:23 AM
    If the links aren't working just google f0recast. It's easy enough to find.
    2010-11-18 05:15 AM
    for prev poster: I did google f0recast.. and all those links from those sites did NOT work..
    however for the link that mcbaron15 sent.. it worked..
    only problem: once downloaded and opened: I get this message: 'YOU cannnot use the app. 'f0recast' with this version of Mac OS X. '
    I have a Mac g4.. and can upgrade only to OS 10.4.11.
    so maybe I'm out of luck on doing any of this?
    Truly frustrating for me.
    Can't really afford a new(er) computer at this point.
    2010-11-18 02:47 PM
    You most likely have a 3GS, since 3G iPhones didn't come in 32 gig models.

Tap on the "Settings" button (the icon depicts a large gear connected with two smaller gears) on the main screen to access the settings application. From there, select "General." Then tap on "About" and tell us the following information displayed from your phone:

1. "Version"
    2. "Model"
    3. "Modem Firmware"

You will have to scroll down to view additional information that is not initially displayed on the screen. Once you have provided us with the information requested, we can deduct to the proper procedure for you to jailbreak your device and, if possible, unlock.

EDIT: jeez. I need to read the entire thread before replying... that took me forever just to type up.

So apparently the new version of forecast (most recent version can be downloaded here: http://hotfile.com/dl/75403555/c29db...1-Mac.zip.html) doesn't work on your version of OS X. From this point on, there are only a few options for you:

1. Download TinyUmbrella from the following site: (http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/) and run the program with your device plugged in. From there, you should be able to view a list of "saved SHSHs" if the previous owner had backed it up. Such an even is VERY unlikely and you are practically screwed if the previous owner did NOT jailbreak and did NOT back up their SHSH blobs (which is required for downgrading to a previous version of a firmware).

2. IF the previous owner DID back up an SHSH that ranges from 3.1.2 and 4.1, then your *** is saved. You can utilize the TinyUmbrella tool to start a TSS server that will force your iTunes to restore to an older firmware that is supported by Ultrasn0w, the unlocking tool used by jailbroken devices.

3. IF the previous owner DID NOT back up SHSHes, then you are screwed to the point where:
    a. You must see if it retained an older version of the iPhone (or iOS) firmware is by borrowing or buying a SIM card that is from AT&T and has been used with an iPhone before to bypass the emergency screen.
    b. You need to download "PwnageTool" for the OS X, create a custom firmware for 4.1.2, obtain previously said SIM card, and see if your baseband version is 05.13.04 or lower.

Option 3a is more preferable than option 3b, since it requires less work, research and time.

Or you could just not bother with this device. iPhones are not just phones, they're smartphones. They're so advanced, some people use them to incorporate their personal and work lives into a medium that can be used to substitute a computer when necessary. You need to think before getting into this kind of thing.

If you want simplicity, sell the phone to a proper owner and buy an Android or Samsung or something.

And FYI: I'm in the market for this kind of phone for my father. Just throwing that out there. lol
    Last edited by MrWHOx; 2010-11-22 at 05:07 AM.
    2010-11-21 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD