User Tag List

I'm the same boat. Tmobile iPhone 4 running 4.1 bb1.59 the only thing I notice was that when I first get this piece of **** was on 4.0 and my data was fine but when I update the iOS to 4.1 thats when all this **** start happening. My Internet works sometimes no mms I get the itim app to do so. Hard reset bunch of times nothing, reset network the phone laugh at me lol. Nothing like the 3GS so I think I'm going back. Im reading and reading and there's no solutions at all so. I'm trading my iPhone 4 32gb for a razor but have to be pink. Jajajajanajajajanajana
    2010-12-09 05:10 AM
    You guys having issues with signal on 4.1 should use redsnow to jailbreak. It installs the new cydia meaning you will get the newest mobile substrate to go along with ulreasnow 1.2. If you are using older verions of cydia and mobile substrate then you should use ultrasnow 1.1-1.

See here for more info: http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...ultrasnow.html
    Last edited by Simon; 2010-12-09 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-12-09 12:23 PM
    MuscleNerd himself (one of the creators of ultrasn0w) has stated, iPhone 4 4.1+ ultrasn0w is only officially supported by custom firmwares built with pwnage tools. Thats the tool they use and test with. If you rely on an unlock, i'd recommend unlocking the device the way they intended on.
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2010-12-09 at 04:31 PM.
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2010-12-09 04:26 PM
    MuscleNerd himself (one of the creators of ultrasn0w) has stated, iPhone 4 4.1+ ultrasn0w is only officially supported by custom firmwares built with pwnage tools. Thats the tool they use and test with. If you rely on an unlock, i'd recommend unlocking the device the way they intended on.
    Hi, would you elaborate?

I thought I'm doing officially supported approach (I meant devteam). Here is what I did on my iphone 4 (2 of them):

- run pwnagetool 4.1.3
    - custome firmware for ios 4.1, uncheck hackivation (I have ATT official SIM card)
    - change ROOT partition change from default 888GB to 1024GB
    - build custom IPSW (so I will have large ROOT partition and save my BB at 1.59)
    - use the DFU button to get the ip4 into DFU mode
    - start TinyUmbrella (has my SHSH for 4.1)
    - start itune 10.1
    - itune will say my ip4 in recovery mode
    - alt/shift-restore the custom IPSW to the ip4
    - when done, insert my ATT SIM and itune will activate the ip4
    - when done, run Cydia, let it do a COMPLETE update
    - when done, search for ultrasn0w 1.2 and install
    - restart put in T-Mobile SIM CARD
    - at this point the phone work and unlocked

**BUT** every few hours, I will get NO SERVICE, if I restart or take the SIM in/out, I will get invalid SIM card. I will have to unlock again so tmoble SIM works. ATT SIM always work.

Am I doing the JB/UL correctly? This is exacly what I did with my old 3GS and 3GS works perfectly.
    2010-12-09 05:55 PM
    You guys having issues with signal on 4.1 should use redsnow to jailbreak. It installs the new cydia meaning you will get the newest mobile substrate to go along with ulreasnow 1.2. If you are using older verions of cydia and mobile substrate then you should use ultrasnow 1.1-1.

See here for more info: http://modmyi.com/forums/unlocking-a...ultrasnow.html

This doesn't work either. I've already updated to the new Cydia version. Makes absolutely no difference.
    2010-12-09 06:22 PM
    So you have the new mobile substrate installed as well right?
    2010-12-09 06:33 PM
    I would assume so as if I remember correctly, it's included in the new version of Cydia. I'm running 1.0.3366-1. Tried using an old version of redsn0w and manually updating Cydia. Then I tried the newest version which includes the updated Cydia. Still have issues.

Keep in mind, I've restored my phone completely probably about 10 times, if not more. Trying every possible jailbreak solution. There isn't a "fix" for this issue. There just seems to be a select few people on T-Mobile that are having serious issues with their iPhone 4.
    2010-12-09 07:11 PM
    Make sure you have the 3367 version of mobile substrate too. If so then this isnt your issue.
    2010-12-09 07:20 PM
    No, it's not a Mobile Substrate issue, nor is it a Cydia or ultrasn0w issue. If it was...there'd be a WHOLE lot of people online complaining about their iPhone 4 on 4.1 with T-Mobile. Instead, there is just a select few who seem to all have the same issues with no real solution.

I've tried every possible solution, method, "fixes", setups, etc. So far, nothing works 100%. If someone here figures it, I'd love to know it because it's been driving me crazy for a couple weeks now.
    2010-12-09 07:36 PM
    It could very well be a mobile substrate issue for some people (not saying it is for you). If someone has used limera1n or greenpoison to jailbreak then they may have issues with updating ultrasnow to 1.2.
    2010-12-09 07:47 PM
    Honestly, I don't see that being the issue. I didn't have this many issues with the older version of ultrasn0w. In fact, the first day ultrasn0w was updated to support the 6.15 baseband was the exact day I received the first "Sim Failure" message.

I dropped service very rarely on 4.0.1 and had almost no problems with anything else. Not until 4.1 did I start having numerous issues.

I still don't think ultrasn0w is the only thing causing problems though.
    2010-12-09 07:59 PM
    That link I posted before is right from Sherif Hashim who works on the crashes in the basebands. So it is obviously something that can be an issue. The fact that you started having these issues when ultrasnow 1.2 came out should tell you it is related to that. Have you tried installing the 1.1-1 version?
    2010-12-09 08:04 PM
    Yes, as said before. I've tried old versions of everything. Cydia, ultrasn0w. Even older jailbreak methods, such as different versions of redsn0w.

In my opinion, ultrasn0w is part of the problem but it's not the entire problem. I couldn't tell you what it is but I can say almost 100% positively that it's not just ultrasn0w that's causing all these issues.

There's always been issues with T-Mobile on an iPhone 4, maybe small issues...but it's never worked perfect. This time around, it's just getting worse.
    2010-12-09 08:13 PM
    Ya I agree with that. Most of the issues I have seen on here with signal have been related to t-mobile.
    2010-12-09 08:15 PM
    Is there a way to download the older version of mobile substrate?

Also, for people who has the same invalid SIM problem... I wonder...
    1) Did you change the root partition size when you create the custom ios4.1 ipsw?
    2) Anyone here with iphone4, ios 4.1, BB1.59, latest cydia, ultra-sn0w 1.2 and no issue at all with TMOBILE? (maybe you can share your setup process and we can try?)

Just trying to compare note here.
    2010-12-10 02:52 PM
    Possible fix for Invalid Sim / Sim Failure / no network???

Is it only t-mobile unlockers with this problem? As ndkone posted, is it about the carrier bundle? Well, I deleted the t-mobile carrier bundle and forced the phone use the AT&T 8.0 carrier settings with my t-mo sim card. I've had a stable signal for several days, even with rebooting in between. Maybe this is all a carrier settings thing?

If you have a US AT&T Iphone 4, unlocked and trying to use tmobile sim card (in germany or US), check which carrier bundle is being used. General -> about -> carrier. Mine was telekom.de 8.0... If this fits your description, if you have an AT&T sim (with or without service), and you are desperate to try something, anything, to fix the blasted ip4 invalid sim problem then give this a shot, why not? Assuming you start with a jailbroken, ultrasnow unlocked phone (mine is ultrasn0w v1.2), and you have an AT&T sim card you can use:

1. install OpenSSH from cydia, and winSCP on your PC
    2. remove t-mo sim from phone
    3. connect with winSCP to the phone and browse to this directory: /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles - this is where itunes puts the updated carrier settings when you let it. I had a folder called t-mobile bundle and two shortcuts related to my simid (26201, 26206). I simply deleted all 3.
    4. put in the AT&T sim card. mine did not have service contract but just having the "dead sim" in there was enough to get the phone to select the AT&T 8.0 carrier bundle. confirm you are back on the AT&T 8.0 carrier settings
    5. remove at&t sim, insert t-mo sim
    6. check to make sure the at&t 8.0 bundle is still being used with your t-mobile sim card
    7. Do not let itunes update your carrier settings, always click cancel!

If you don't get cellular data connection, browse to benm.help.at or unlockit.co.nz and install new APN profile for t-mo.

Good luck!!!
    2010-12-11 04:10 PM
    Possible fix for Invalid Sim / Sim Failure / no network???

If you have a US AT&T Iphone 4, unlocked and trying to use tmobile sim card (in germany or US), check which carrier bundle is being used. General -> about -> carrier. Mine was telekom.de 8.0... If this fits your description, if you have an AT&T sim (with or without service), and you are desperate to try something, anything, to fix the blasted ip4 invalid sim problem then give this a shot, why not? Assuming you start with a jailbroken, ultrasnow unlocked phone (mine is ultrasn0w v1.2), and you have an AT&T sim card you can use:

1. install OpenSSH from cydia, and winSCP on your PC
    2. remove t-mo sim from phone
    3. connect with winSCP to the phone and browse to this directory: /private/var/mobile/Library/Carrier Bundles - this is where itunes puts the updated carrier settings when you let it. I had a folder called t-mobile bundle and two shortcuts related to my simid (26201, 26206). I simply deleted all 3.
    4. put in the AT&T sim card. mine did not have service contract but just having the "dead sim" in there was enough to get the phone to select the AT&T 8.0 carrier bundle. confirm you are back on the AT&T 8.0 carrier settings
    5. remove at&t sim, insert t-mo sim
    6. check to make sure the at&t 8.0 bundle is still being used with your t-mobile sim card
    7. Do not let itunes update your carrier settings, always click cancel!

If you don't get cellular data connection, browse to benm.help.at or unlockit.co.nz and install new APN profile for t-mo.

Good luck!!!
    Thanks for the suggestion - I tried that, the ATT carrier 8.0 works for tmobile too. However, the problem is that once you restart the phone, or for some reasons you lost the carrier signal, it seems like the phone RE-LOCK itself to the original carrier. I feel that is the root of the problem where we are getting INVALID SIM etc.
    2010-12-11 10:44 PM
    Hey man. I've had this problem on my iPhone 4 4.0.2 for a long long time. Its not Ultrasn0w. Its the fact that 3G is enabled on startup. If an iPhone has 3G turned on while on T-Mobile, you'll encounter numerous errors. Hence the no service / invalid sim, that one annoying bar thats on the left side.

I'm trying to find a way to permanantly disable 3G, ill be sure to keep you updated.
    2010-12-13 02:36 AM
    Hey man. I've had this problem on my iPhone 4 4.0.2 for a long long time. Its not Ultrasn0w. Its the fact that 3G is enabled on startup. If an iPhone has 3G turned on while on T-Mobile, you'll encounter numerous errors. Hence the no service / invalid sim, that one annoying bar thats on the left side.

I'm trying to find a way to permanantly disable 3G, ill be sure to keep you updated.
    Really... That is a real possibility... Maybe the 3G is turned on briefly and tmobile do not support it and the baseband lock out.

Please keep us posted and I can test out with you.
    2010-12-13 02:48 AM
    So I think I may have found a fix. It's pretty strange how the iPhone 4 baseband works. When you get the No Service error, leave it on No Service with 3G turned ON, for about 10-15 minutes (well, this is when I left it to go take a shower). Then, slide to unlock and Power off the phone through SBSettings, not the regular "slide to power off". After it's been turned off, reboot, and you will have your T-Mobile back.

Try it out and see if it works. This is what I did and it worked perfectly.
    Last edited by Wesss; 2010-12-13 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2010-12-13 04:27 AM
215 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD