User Tag List

Ok people having this big problem,

iPhone 4 firmware 4.1 baseband 1.59.00

every so often i get a message "Sim Failure" then No Service also Invalid SIM.

Just got a brand new sim form T-mobile and still having the same problem.

Restart and same problem, then i just noticed another this thta happened if i leave the iPhone in this state after a while it reboots it self, but still the same problem.

also been having MMS issues also i can send sms and mms but when ever the above problems happen, and i get it fixed after about 20 minutes or so i get a whole bunch of MMS messages that are addressed to [email protected].com for instance my Vonage Voicemail is forwarded to me via MMS

what could be the problem, also once in a while if i reinstall ultrasn0w it comes right back to life as soon as ultrasn0w is installed but only works sometimes. if it does not work still end up with no service or invalid sim or sim failure

is anyone else having this problem?

anyone have any ideas. please help someone

Thanks

oh and having major battery issues on standby battery last only about 6 or 7 hours, i don't remember which jailbreak i used i have tried both a number of times

what do you dudes recommend?
    Last edited by Rinnycoop121; 2010-12-02 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Don't forget the hit the Thanks Button
    2010-12-02 06:20 PM
    every so often i get a message "Sim Failure" then No Service also Invalid SIM.

it happened to me a few times also, i reboot the device , won't solve the problem. uninstall Ultrasn0w , and reboot, then reinstall and leave me device for a while would make service comes back.
    but sometime it could takes a few tries. As for MMS i can send out after working T-mobile service then take out sim and put it back in. but receiving is very random mostly error with error message saying something about due to size.
    2010-12-02 06:48 PM
    I also just had this happen to me the other day and have no idea what fixed it. I popped in my AT&T iPad sim after it happened and found service no problem. After about an hour of messing around with it, uninstalling and re-installing ultrasn0w my T-Mo service finally came back. Completely random.

One question for you guys though...on your status bar, it is grayed out and rounded on the corners now? This happened right after I got the sim failure message. It still hasn't gone away after normal operation. If I open any else (app), the status bar is normal.

As far as MMS, I'm at a complete loss. If I reboot my phone, I have to take out and re-insert my sim then input all APN settings again just to get edge. Sometimes I'll be able to send and receive MMS after that for a few minutes but then it cuts out again.
    2010-12-02 07:38 PM
    This is a ultrasn0w issue I believe. i have seen it on a few iPhone 4's. Usually a reboot or two fixes it.
    2010-12-02 08:44 PM
    no try about 14 or 15 reboots that what i usually have to do, this is a terrible problem, and needs to get fixed it makes no sense for a phone not to work
    .................................................. .................................................. ...Don't forget the hit the Thanks Button
    2010-12-02 09:34 PM
    I've never seen it that bad. Something else may be going on then.
    2010-12-02 10:20 PM
    i also get this problem i was thinking of getting a micro sim from tmobile but guess is the same thing wut i do is take out the sim,reboot n put the sim back and i get it to work....someone look into this thanks
    2010-12-03 01:39 AM
    I used to have the same issues. My iphone 4 used to restart on its own, and sometimes it would randomly say invaid sim, sim failure. And also the mms issues. When you jailbroke your phone, did you restore from back up on itunes, from your old iphone? I have since restored my phone, and jailbroke it and DID NOT restore from back up and it seems to work a lot better.
    2010-12-03 03:42 AM
    Always good advice. Setting up as new can fix a lot of issues.
    2010-12-03 03:49 AM
    Always good advice. Setting up as new can fix a lot of issues.
    Yup! Start as new was the best fix for my iPhone 4. the 4s dont seem to like being restored from an older iphone.
    2010-12-03 04:17 AM
    Same problem here. Extremely frustrating when your phone just stops working several times a day! If this problem doesn't get resolved will have to make the switch to Android. Been living with this for weeks and scouring the net for answers.

My setup: Iphone 4, 4.1, BB 01.59, ultrasnow v1.1-1 and more recently v1.2. Originally locked to AT&T US, now using t-mobile DE. problem happens often: phone stops working, might show one network bar, or no service, "invalid sim" and "sim failure" - seems to be signs of losing the unlock. Removing/reinserting SIM, rebooting multiple times, resetting network settings, or resintalling ultrasn0w, sometimes these things help. Not a permanent solution!

I have replaced my original t-mo sim with a brand new t-mo micro sim. Have restored many times. Tried jailbreak with Limerain, greenpoison, snowbreeze. Tried activating with original AT&T sim, tried letting jailbreak hacktivate for me. Have updated my carrier settings to T-mobile, and have tried with AT&T carrier settings. Have even tried the little piece of tape on the SIM to prevent the supposed shorting of the SIM card contact on the SIM tray (sounded kooky but hey i was desperate) None of these made any difference.

Gut feeling says this is either an ultrasn0w or hack/activation issue.

The only thing that has seemed to help me at all is the following: when you reboot enough times and finally get your network signal back, go into settings, carrier, and manually select the carrier that your SIM is on (do not leave on automatic). this seems to maintain service until i put phone in airplane mode or reboot, then I have to manually choose carrier again.

I would be interested to know if this helps others or if it is only a wishful hallucination.

I am also experiencing a somewhat higher rate of battery discharge than i would normally expect, so i am interested in the recent problems being discussed on iphone dev team blog re. 3g, 3gs unlock + battery drainage. Battery draining not nearly as bad as described there. Also I'm not having trouble with push, but anyways if my problem recurs will probably try this Subscriber Artificial Module, hoping that it somehow alleviates any activation issues. Wishful thinking because i really have no idea what is going on!

...otherwise, goodbye beautiful apple ihpone, hello android. that would fix the problem.
    2010-12-03 01:29 PM
    I'm in the same boat as you ddirt. I work on iPhone's all day and it drives me crazy that I can't get my own personal phone to work reliably. After restores, new sim cards, etc...I just can't get this thing to work right. My latest attempt with a complete restore, no backup, legit AT&T activation, jailbreak and unlock has given me ok results. However, I just got the sim failure again yesterday and still can't get MMS working properly. I'm also on 4.1 with 1.59.00. I was happy to get my FaceTime working great this time around and it also solved a major battery drain issue I had.

However, with that being said I feel exactly the way you do. I'm ready to either go back to a 3Gs or another device for the time being. I love my Apple stuff (call me a fanboy haha) and iOS is so smooth compared to other mobile OS's but this is just getting ridiculous. I've considered trying to get my 4 replaced but then obviously I'll lose my jailbreak and unlock unless I get completely lucky and get an older firmware. Just not sure where to go from here.
    2010-12-03 06:15 PM
    Are you guys using a micro-sim cutter? or using a scissor?
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!
    2010-12-03 06:21 PM
    I have the micro sim cutter i am going to do a complete restore and start as new phone but i have some questions listed at the following URL Sn0wBreeze or TinyUmbrella? beforre i do my restore.
    2010-12-03 07:02 PM
    I've used both scissors and a cutter with multiple sim cards. Doesn't make any noticeable difference, in my case at least.
    2010-12-03 07:13 PM
    I've had my iPhone 4 for months and today was my first time actually putting my T-Mobile sim in it. I had all these issues and tried every option, just glad to know I'm not the only one. I'm thinking it's ultrasn0w!
    2010-12-04 06:07 AM
    I had sort of a similar issue, I used my sim to jailbreak and hacktivate 2 other phones and when I put my sim back in my iPhone 4 it said sim failure, since I thought I might of damadged my sim I got another one, that didnt work after reinstalling ultrasn0w my signal came back.
    2010-12-04 07:30 PM
    I have the same issue, actually, I have the first iphone 4 and have this issue and restart/rejailbreak so many times that crashed the phone and won't start. I now have a fresh new iphone 4 from apple store and it is the same. I think this is a unlock specific issue. I have posted the question on dev team blog but no one respond. Anyone have more ideas to get to the dev-team to take a look?

This is what I found so far - compare to 3GS with the same IOS:
    - 3GS: in /private/var/mobile/Library, it will create a link to the carrier and operator bundle in /System/Library/Carrier Bundles for the SIM card you put in.
    - 4: in /private/var/mobile/Library, it will create a link to the operator bundle in /System/Library/Carrier Bundles for the SIM card you put in. However, the carrier bundle is not created at the same time, it usually being created after a reboot or reinstall of ultrasn0w.

Anyone have any clue what else we can try?

My conclusion is that iphone 4 must have something different and prevent the system to create this link or read some files related to the creation of this link.

That is as much as I can make out of this.
    2010-12-07 12:36 AM
    I have been having issues with the Iphone 4 ever since I upgraded to the 4.1 and kept the 01.59 baseband.

Have been getting the No signal/invalid sim
    Cellular data network keeps going on and off
    Major battery drains
    also keep getting mms messages that the resolution is not supported for the past week when i receive a mms... but i can send them fine

I have been getting really frustrated... It just gets on my nerves that we have a backup for nothing... If we restore from backup it goes retarded... what the hell is the point of the back up then... Now we have to do it all from 0 again and put all our stuff back and loose from the phone what we had in the backup... ridiculous. This is the time I wish I had a simple blackberry...
    Last edited by jess127; 2010-12-07 at 02:30 PM.
    Iphone 4 16GB
    Iphone 2g 8GB (Retired)
    2010-12-07 02:16 PM
    I have been having issues with the Iphone 4 ever since I upgraded to the 4.1 and kept the 01.59 baseband.

Have been getting the No signal/invalid sim
    Cellular data network keeps going on and off
    Major battery drains
    also keep getting mms messages that the resolution is not supported for the past week when i receive a mms... but i can send them fine

I have been getting really frustrated... It just gets on my nerves that we have a backup for nothing... If we restore from backup it goes retarded... what the hell is the point of the back up then... Now we have to do it all from 0 again and put all our stuff back and loose from the phone what we had in the backup... ridiculous. This is the time I wish I had a simple blackberry...
    You can back up all your info manually in the info tab... The only info you'd lose is your settings.

Did you use an official pwnage tools bundle to upgrade to 4.1?
    Hopefully you didn't use sn0wbreeze, tinyumbrella, or any of those unsupported methods
    Last edited by babyblue_pimp; 2010-12-07 at 02:48 PM.
    2010-12-07 02:45 PM
215 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD