Hi, I'm glad i found this wonderful forum very helpful. Ok so I'm a first time iphone user and first time unlocked phone user. I just finished ordering an iphone 3G 8GB with iOS 4.2.1 on ebay for $200.

I currently have a sidekick on tmobile prepaid for $15 a month I get unlimited text and 10 cents a minute calls. So just to make sure i just pop the sim into my iphone when i get it and it will work no probs?

Also is this ios the one that has the landscape keyboard feature installed?

and one last question if you dont mind i see theres a thread in this forum stickied talking about t-zones for 5.99 a month only if i remember correctly isn't tzones just the place where you can buy tmobile music and screensavers or am i missing something? what exactly is tzones thats makes it so cool

Also do you guys think i should be worried at&t bought tmobile and might destory there prepaid plans

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

iphone is going to come unlocked jailbroken
    Last edited by jim321; 2011-05-13 at 01:44 AM.
    2011-05-13 12:09 AM
    Is this phone you bought unlocked?
    2011-05-13 01:35 AM
    yeah its unlocked jailbroken
    2011-05-13 01:42 AM
    Then yes if you just put your SIM in it should work. But I'm skeptical just bc it's a sidekick plan. I've heard both sides that it works and it doesn't. Different things. tzones I think is referring to data but I don't believe that's available anymore.

Edit: Oh yeah the data for the sidekick plan, I think if you put in the right APN it should work. I can't remember what the APN is though. Hopefully someone else can answer this question or correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-05-13 at 01:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-05-13 01:47 AM
    Thanks for the help and its no longer a sidekick plan anymore really theyve discontinued that plan now its just a regular plan that any phone can use. $15 a month unlimited text 10cents a minute.

Also does wifi normally work good on unlocked iphones or is there any good way of getting tmobile internet running on it for cheap?
    2011-05-13 01:48 AM
    You don't need to worry about AT&T buying t-mobile. For one the odds of this deal getting approval from gov is highly unlikely in my opinion unless both companies can sling some serious BS, and second if does go thru it will be a while before anything truly changes with plans and such.
    2011-05-13 01:49 AM
    You don't need to worry about AT&T buying t-mobile. For one the odds of this deal getting approval from gov is highly unlikely in my opinion unless both companies can sling some serious BS, and second if does go thru it will be a while before anything truly changes with plans and such.
    Yeah your right about that, got a little worried when i noticed tmobile said that they will honor the same price for current customers on "contractual" plans, never mentioned prepaid. But hopefully the deal dont go through.

How about the internet guys i normally dont use it but if i can get cheap web browsing then that will be cool any ideas? oh and is it possible to buy apps or put games on it like angry birds
    2011-05-13 01:52 AM
    I believe T-Mobile does offer internet plans for prepaid, but I believe it is slightly pricier than with a contract.

You can definitely buy apps and put games on it just fine. And wifi will work just fine with it being unlocked, no differences if it were unlocked or not.
    2011-05-13 02:00 AM
    WOW! thats awesome i had no idea the app store would still work so wait does that mean tmobile gets the money and not apple when i buy apple apps or do they still get it somehow o.O
    2011-05-13 02:04 AM
    No the app store really has nothing to do with your carrier. It'll work as long as it's an iPhone/iPod
    2011-05-13 02:05 AM
    awesome! <3 this forum

so other then not updating itunes or any ios iphone updates? theres no way i can mess my jailbroken iphone up right? besides clicking restore default or is there something i should be careful about?
    2011-05-13 02:09 AM
    This forum loves you too

There's never a guarantee that you can't mess your phone up if you're gonna jailbreak. You said the device is unlocked, it's software unlocked right? Or factory? If it's software unlocked it's already jailbroken.

If the device is jailbroken, never ever go into settings and hit "reset all settings" bc that'll send your device into a boot loop. So that's what you should avoid.

Edit: Sorry forgot to finish my thoughts. Even if you ever mess up with a jailbreak, a restore will always fix it. So you can't really kill your phone.
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-05-13 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2011-05-13 02:13 AM
    ah awesome thanks, yeah the seller said its jailbroken. Thats good to know that if the phone gets messed up i can just reset all settings and it will be back to normal again only bad part about that is that then I will have to learn how to jailbreak the iphone myself lol

I havent read any guides so i dont know if its actually something hard to do or not or whether i need to buy equipment to do it etc... hopefully its not but hopefully i never mess my iphone up and need to learn lol
    2011-05-13 02:23 AM
    Oh no, no no I said if it is jailbroken you should never go and reset all settings.

You can restore in iTunes but if your phone is fine and jailbroken, you'll screw it up with reset all settings in the phone.
    2011-05-13 02:47 AM
    Oh no, no no I said if it is jailbroken you should never go and reset all settings.

You can restore in iTunes but if your phone is fine and jailbroken, you'll screw it up with reset all settings in the phone.
    oh I know i meant if my phone gets messed up or i do something to mess the jailbreak up then i reset the settings and learn how to jail break again myself
    2011-05-13 03:00 AM
    Oh ok see there's a difference between reset all settings and restoring. These terms aren't interchangeable. If you do need help on restoring and rejailbreaking in te future, mmi is the best place to ask
    2011-05-13 03:40 AM
    Oh ok see there's a difference between reset all settings and restoring. These terms aren't interchangeable. If you do need help on restoring and rejailbreaking in te future, mmi is the best place to ask
    ah i see yeah i never had an iphone in my life so im a complete noob... very excited and thanks for all your help
    2011-05-13 04:07 AM
    No problem, I hope everything works out for ya. remember if you need any more help, don't hesitate to ask
    2011-05-13 04:31 AM
    Yeah ive had some what of the same problem ..... when you activate the phone .... It asks for the IEM thingy and im not sure what to put for that ?
    2011-06-29 02:31 AM
    Are you trying to activate it w/ the tmoblie sim card in it?
    I think you have to use redsnow hactivate to get around that.
    2011-06-29 07:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD