I made my account just to post this simple fix for such a huge problem
    Mods, if this is in the wrong section please put it in the right one
    So I had the same no service problem and it kept coming back a couple minutes after the reboot so I did some online research and discovered that the iPhone 4 always tried to change to 3G which caused the No Service error
    I then remembered the Auto 3G app I downloaded off Cydia a while back
    It costs only a couple bucks **we don't condone piracy, please review forum rules and not take this matter light-heartedly**
    So all you have to do in the app is
    Enable auto3g
    The status bar icon doesn't matter but I turn it off because it's kind of ugly (might be nice reassurance that it's working though)
    Unlocked default set to edge
    Locked default set to edge
    Charging default set to edge
    Wifi default set to edge
    Timeout set to none
    And in the application white list MAKE SURE EVERY APP IS SET TO OFF
    then exit auto3g go to your phones settings and make sure 3G is disabled and reboot your phone
    You're done you should never see that "no service" bar again unless you really don't have any service
    Last edited by i.Annie; 2011-08-27 at 06:51 PM.
    2011-08-27 06:37 PM
    Doesn't turning off 3G in settings do the same thing.
    2011-08-27 06:51 PM
    Technically yes but the iPhone 4 (at least mine and a lot of the ones I've read about online) always tries to access 3G after a while after I turn it off
    2011-08-27 07:02 PM
    I have seen a few iPhones "magically" turn on 3G when the person had it off but usually just turning it off in settings will do the trick.
    2011-08-27 07:41 PM
    Huh, that's interesting. When I used to be on t-mobile my iPhone 3G never did that. Maybe it's just the iPhone 4. Or perhaps its backgrounder? I noticed with backgrounder my device likes to leave my camera in front facing mode when I left it on the back facing camera, but with backgrounder uninstalled it acts normal when I exit, I re-open the app and it is as I left it. I'm curious if the 3G switch is the same way exclusive to backgrounder users.
    2011-08-27 07:44 PM
    I had like 7 people this week come to me with no service all of a sudden and all of them it was a case of 3G being on and none of them could remember turning it back on. I think there is a date bug or something in apple's firmware to turn on 3G on a certain date or something lol.
    2011-08-27 08:06 PM
    Oh yeah that's weird lol. Were they all iPhone 4 or they were 3G/3GS as well?
    2011-08-27 08:18 PM
    2011-08-27 08:25 PM
    I started getting this No service issue just recently. I purchased my Iphone 4 like early august and was smooth for 2 weeks. It wasn't until last week that I started getting the No service issue and had to reset and do the unlocking method almost every day. Is it because of the 3g issue that it keeps changing to No service?
    2011-08-27 09:39 PM
    It could be. Seems like a trend now that Simon mentions he has had 7 iPhone 4 users experiencing the same thing.
    2011-08-27 09:41 PM
    Apples own version of the Y2K bug lol.
    2011-08-27 09:42 PM
    Apple's mean lol. That's weird that they're all iPhone 4 users experiencing this. I wonder if it's the firmware version too?
    2011-08-27 09:44 PM
    Not sure. I just thought it was a bit strange for 7 people to come to me in one day all with the same issue. As soon as I turned their 3G back off their phones were fine.
    2011-08-27 09:49 PM
    Yeah it's kind of unlikely for all 7 to be on the same fw version too ...
    2011-08-27 09:55 PM
    @at op or anyone with this knowledge. How long has this fix lasted? By lasted I mean when's the last time you dealt with the no service issue. I keep praying everyday it'll last through the day or even for 12 hours but "no service" keeps popping up at random (sometimes it doesnt appear for like 6 hours or sometimes it doesnt appear for 24 hours)

Normally I dont mind doing the whole reset (on/off) but it's becoming a daily occurrence and it's starting to get to me.

Been trying to look for a more permanent or a longer lasting solution but every research I've done comes to the same "oh turn off/on ur phone" "take sim card out and put back in" " reset network blah blah" and none of it has worked. Not to mention most of these "issues" were with older versions and dated back between 2008-2010. I rarely came up on searches where it was posted recently.

Not sure. I just thought it was a bit strange for 7 people to come to me in one day all with the same issue. As soon as I turned their 3G back off their phones were fine.
    When you mean off did you mean through settings->general->network and their enable 3g was on?
    Last edited by utbigred; 2011-08-27 at 10:00 PM.
    2011-08-27 09:56 PM
    Yes I believe that's what Simon meant, turning the 3G off in settings. If you have SBSettings, you can easily swipe and turn off 3G if it comes back on. However I don't know if the OP's solution works long-term and fool-proof, I just wasn't aware of this scenario and was curious. But I would give it a go if OP says it worked for him.
    2011-08-27 10:38 PM
    2011-08-27 10:42 PM
    Just to be sure but I'm suppose to have Auto3G Enabled on right? Sorry I'm just trying to be careful with the wordings.
    2011-08-27 11:11 PM
    I don't know what the app is, but reading over the instructions, yes the auto3g app should be enabled. And within it you set everything to default to EDGE and assure that all apps are whitelisted for those settings.
    2011-08-27 11:20 PM
    Quick update. This app is not a permanent solution. Since my last post, I had two no service messages. I'm nearly at the end of the rope and not sure what to do. I might just trade my iphone 4 in for a iphone 3g. This is getting beyond ridiculous.
    2011-08-28 06:17 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD