I bought the phone a while back already unlocked and its worked great. I've been trying to keep up with the options since 1.1.1 came along but it all seems a bit confusing.

Basically I have a 1.0.2 unlocked iphone on vodafone. Can I upgrade it and still use vodafone on 1.1.1? Is so what are the steps?

Do I need to 're-virginise' it first?

Do I just upgrade the firmware via itunes then visit www.jailbreakme.com?
    (I thought I read somewhere that upgrading unlocked iphones to 1.1.1 could brick them)

Any help in pointing me to the lastest information would be great

thanks
    chris

sorry think I've posted this in the wrong place. Please can one of the mdos move it

thanks
    Last edited by woodshed; 2007-10-30 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-10-30 04:20 PM
    You got it right.

1. revirginise
    2. upgrade to 1.1.1 via itunes
    3. AppSnap (www.jailbreakme.com)

(I thought I read somewhere that upgrading unlocked iphones to 1.1.1 could brick them)
    Not if you revirginize.
    Sydney, Australia
    If you received help, click on the Thanks button!

2007-10-30 05:40 PM
    Thanks

By re-virginise do you mean just use Itunes to do a restore? Or is there a different way I should do this?

thanks
    Chris
    2007-10-30 05:57 PM
    I had been wondering the same thing. I am in the same boat only on t-mobile. It seems like there are so many methods that do different things you start to get confused. I did the manual unlock before from the dev team but was hoping to wait for something simpler.
    2007-10-30 06:12 PM
    Thread Moved.
    THanks for letting us know it was posted in the wrong place. =D
    2007-10-31 12:26 AM
    You may refer to this.
    Sydney, Australia

2007-10-31 02:18 AM
    Thats a good description in the link - but also an example of why its all so confusing. It doesn't mention jailbreakme.com at all. Which bits does that replace in his flow chart?

thanks
    Chris
    2007-10-31 10:30 AM
    Actually I was answering the question "how do you virginize?" So depending on the state of your iPhone, refer to the chart to determine what you need to do FIRST before using jailbreakme.com, which assumes you have a 1.1.1 iPhone. kengz's guide was written before jailbreakme was released. So like his guide shows, if you have an unlocked 1.0.2 iPhone, you need to:

1. revirginize
    2. update to 1.1.1 in iTunes
    3. jailbreak using AppSnapp (jailbreakme.com)
    4. unlock and activate - I used anySIM, but you take your pick

Obviously, this requires A LOT of research. So read, read, and read some more. LOL

If you need any more info, just ask. I'm in Australia though...we may have a vast time difference. But hopefully others may be able to shed light, too.

Good luck.
    Last edited by truenorth; 2007-10-31 at 01:59 PM.
    Sydney, Australia

2007-10-31 01:56 PM
    So like his guide shows, if you have an unlocked 1.0.2 iPhone, you need to:

1. revirginize
    2. update to 1.1.1 in iTunes
    3. jailbreak using AppSnapp (jailbreakme.com)
    4. unlock and activate - I used anySIM, but you take your pick

Obviously, this requires A LOT of research. So read, read, and read some more. LOL

If you need any more info, just ask. I'm in Australia though...we may have a vast time difference. But hopefully others may be able to shed light, too.

Good luck.
    Hi Truenorth..

Can you clrify one small point? After upgrade to 1.1.1, Since my phone wont be in activated mode.. will I able to navigate to jailbreakme site?
    i.e. do i need to do anything between step 2 and step 3?

Few preople suggesting *#303# methd.. but seems like that works only in AT&T US phones. I am not in US so I am not sure that will work for me.

Di you face any problems?

Thanks,
    Pura
    2007-11-03 11:30 AM
    Here's a good guide. Yes, you should be able to go to jailbreakme thru wifi. After upgrading to 1.1.1 in step 2, proceed to step 3 which is follow the instructions on link above. He uses *#301# which works just fine. *#307# works, too. Never heard of *#303# before.

I also suggest:

1. do not uninstall BSD Subsystem (you still need it)
    2. install OpenSSH if you're using Windows because WinSCP will not work without it

Problem I encountered: anySIM said it could not unlock my iPhone, but when I quit its process, I noticed it worked anyway. Hopefully you will not have that problem. So far I found that site to have the simplest set of intructions anywhere. And he does some things for you that other methods have to instruct you to do yourself, such as YouTube and EDGE fixes.

Give it a shot. Fingers crossed for you.
    Sydney, Australia

2007-11-03 11:48 AM
    Here's a good guide. Yes, you should be able to go to jailbreakme thru wifi. After upgrading to 1.1.1 in step 2, proceed to step 3 which is follow the instructions on link above.

He uses *#301# which works just fine. *#307# works, too.
    Alright.. Let me go through his method..

Never heard of *#303# before.
    Am sorry I meant *#307 only.

Problem I encountered: anySIM said it could not unlock my iPhone, but when I quit its process, I noticed it worked anyway. Hopefully you will not have that problem. So far I found that site to have the simplest set of intructions anywhere. And he does some things for you that other methods have to instruct you to do yourself, such as YouTube and EDGE fixes.

Give it a shot. Fingers crossed for you.
    Lets see.. Hope I will gather enough courage to do this one..

Thanks truenorth!

Regards,
    Pura.
    2007-11-03 12:06 PM
    Pleasure!
    Sydney, Australia

2007-11-04 03:38 PM
    I baught unlocked , any sim i-phone , on 1.0,2 , was stupid anough to brick it upgading it to 1.1.1 , but worst part dont have at&t sim , mentioned way of going to dfu mode does not work , please help

Truenorth, tell me, am i doomed? no chance to fix it?
    Last edited by tarasik; 2007-11-04 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2007-11-04 04:19 PM
    Thanks for all the help - I'm still debating wether to go for it. I'm not really sure how my phone was unlocked originally for vodafone - does this matter?

Just a question about revirginising too - in what way is this different to doing a 'restore' in itunes?

sorry for all the questions

Chris
    2007-11-06 10:10 AM
    Here's a good guide.
    Best guide around! I couldn't believe how easy it really was
    2007-11-06 10:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD