I recently had some trouble with my last iPhone's screen and had to take it in. They wouldn't honor my warranty since that phone wasn't activated with AT&T (I had been using T-Mobile on it).

I ended up starting an AT&T account to activate my iPhone and then took the phone back to Apple and they replaced it and made sure the new iPhone is activated with my AT&T account.

I am going to cancel the AT&T account right away now that I have my new iPhone, but I'm wondering if there's an advantage the phone already being activated with AT&T. I want to use T-Mobile on it and install apps and am trying to decide between iPlus and Pwnage Tools.

I'm looking ahead to when there is another issue with my iPhone (and I'm sure there will be) and I need to use the warranty again. Is there a way to make sure my iPhone looks like it's still activated with AT&T?
    2008-05-06 01:43 AM
    you can do a RESTORE...after you've done with RESTORE...iTunes will ask you to sync as a brand new phone..or sync using your backup...at this time..you should sync as a Brand New Phone.
    2008-05-06 02:20 AM
    you can do a RESTORE...after you've done with RESTORE...iTunes will ask you to sync as a brand new phone..or sync using your backup...at this time..you should sync as a Brand New Phone.
    So even though I will have jailbroken the phone, if I sync it as a new phone it will still look like it's activated with AT&T?

Also, since the phone is currently activated with AT&T does this mean I can skip a step (like unlocking it) because it's not necessary or do I still need to do this to use it with T-mobile?
    2008-05-06 02:39 AM
    So even though I will have jailbroken the phone, if I sync it as a new phone it will still look like it's activated with AT&T?

Also, since the phone is currently activated with AT&T does this mean I can skip a step (like unlocking it) because it's not necessary or do I still need to do this to use it with T-mobile?
    by doing a RESTORE on iTunes..this will put your phone back in "Jail"..will only works for ATT only..nothing else..no themes, no tricks..no nothing.

You still need to unlock, jailbreak, do it all...in order for the iphone to recognize your TMobile sim.
    2008-05-06 02:44 AM
    Okay, that makes sense. I'll just run everything like normal on Pwnage Tools. Thanks for the help!
    2008-05-06 03:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD