User Tag List

My friend is in from Israel & is leaving tomorrow. He wanted me to find him two new iPhones for him to bring back for two people over there.
    They plan to use it with Orange, or any other GSM carrier.
    I don't have their SIM card onhand here in the USA & I just got the phones sealed in package.

I've used PWNAGE many times over, in fact, am an iPhone Software Developer. However, being that I have AT&T with an iPhone plan, I naturally never needed to know much about PWNING or Jailbraking / UNLOCKING a phone out of the box with no SIM to use or even test it with.

MY QUESTION:
    1) Which method of UNLOCKING would you recommend I use? Which application? Any specific settings or options to be aware of?

2) Any disclaimers I may be overlooking that I should know about?

3) Do you need a SIM to hack an iPhone? Or does it just activate after you PWN / Jailbreak & UNLOCK it?

By the way, the obvious keyword here is UNLOCK. Whatever method I go with, it must be a full & reliable unlock for any GSM carrier.

Please reply asap; standing by awaiting opinions , . . .

Thanks.
    2008-05-30 02:44 AM
    pwnage is the best and safest
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    My brother was eaten by wolves on the NJ Turnpike.
    2008-05-30 03:20 AM
    I concur with desepticon, pwnage 1.1 is the way to go.
    2008-05-30 03:24 AM
    pwnage is the best and safest
    I was hoping to hear that.

But what about there being no SIM card available? Will I just get the 'Activated' screen after restoring my custom 1.1.4 IPSW with Unlock & Activate included in it?
    Or, will it remain unusable for WiFi or iPod features until there's a SIM?
    2008-05-30 03:41 AM
    If there's no SIM inside, and the phone is activated, it will say NO SIM where the carrier logo is meant to be, but you can still use the phone as normal, omit phone functions.
    2008-05-30 05:48 AM
    If there's no SIM inside, and the phone is activated, it will say NO SIM where the carrier logo is meant to be, but you can still use the phone as normal, omit phone functions.
    Me & my impulsive self have gotten that far already. Everything is up & fine except phone service. WiFi works, iPod Works , etc.
    I added a bunch of apps via installer.app as well.

Thanks again for your help, everyone.
    2008-05-30 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD