IPSF claims (and seems to have proven so far) that your iphone remains unlocked even after restoring the iphone firmware and you would only need to jailbreak/activate the iphone after performing a firmware restore. I have a fw1.1.1 iphone which I have successfully unlocked with AnySIM 1.1 which I had to restore twice already (using the alt+click restore button method) because my iphone got stuck at the Apple logo screen after installing some 3rd party tweaks - one time I restored my iphone to fw1.1.1 and another time I restored to fw1.0.2. After each restore I noticed that I can already use my non-AT&T SIM right after performing the jailbreak/activation procedure (I did not need to re-unlock with AnySIM). This seems to indicate that AnySIM 1.1 is also restore resistant (or I am just lucky, I guess).

From various guides floating around, to update the iphone to fw1.1.2 and then unlock it one needs to perform the following simplified steps:
    1. Update iphone to fw 1.1.2 (so the new baseband gets installed)
    2. Downgrade to fw 1.1.1 (so you could use AnySIM 1.2.1u and OktoPrep)
    3. Jailbreak/activate then unlock with AnySIM 1.2.1u
    4. Install OktoPrep
    5. UPDATE (NOT Restore) to fw 1.1.2 (I've read that performing a "restore" would wipe out the modifications made by OktoPrep)
    6. Re-jailbreak/activate

If for some reason one needs to perform a restore (to fw 1.1.2) after unlocking using the steps above, then:
    a. Am I right in thinking that steps 2 to 6 needs to be performed again (or can one just jailbreak/activate and then install OktoPrep)?
    b. If steps 2 to 6 needs to be performed again, does one need to do the unlock procedure as well?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Tintin; 2007-11-25 at 09:22 PM.
    2007-11-25 09:16 PM
    IPSF claims (and seems to have proven so far) that your iphone remains unlocked even after restoring the iphone firmware and you would only need to jailbreak/activate the iphone after performing a firmware restore. I have a fw1.1.1 iphone which I have successfully unlocked with AnySIM 1.1 which I had to restore twice already (using the alt+click restore button method) because my iphone got stuck at the Apple logo screen after installing some 3rd party tweaks - one time I restored my iphone to fw1.1.1 and another time I restored to fw1.0.2. After each restore I noticed that I can already use my non-AT&T SIM right after performing the jailbreak/activation procedure (I did not need to re-unlock with AnySIM). This seems to indicate that AnySIM 1.1 is also restore resistant (or I am just lucky, I guess).

From various guides floating around, to update the iphone to fw1.1.2 and then unlock it one needs to perform the following simplified steps:
    1. Update iphone to fw 1.1.2 (so the new baseband gets installed)
    2. Downgrade to fw 1.1.1 (so you could use AnySIM 1.2.1u and OktoPrep)
    3. Jailbreak/activate then unlock with AnySIM 1.2.1u
    4. Install OktoPrep
    5. UPDATE (NOT Restore) to fw 1.1.2 (I've read that performing a "restore" would wipe out the modifications made by OktoPrep)
    6. Re-jailbreak/activate

If for some reason one needs to perform a restore (to fw 1.1.2) after unlocking using the steps above, then:
    a. Am I right in thinking that steps 2 to 6 needs to be performed again (or can one just jailbreak/activate and then install OktoPrep)?
    b. If steps 2 to 6 needs to be performed again, does one need to do the unlock procedure as well?

Thanks.
    I only needed to unlock once with anySim 1.2.1u even after multiple updates from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2. The phone stayed unlocked. I just needed to to a jailbreak that's it.
    2007-11-25 09:32 PM
    I only needed to unlock once with anySim 1.2.1u even after multiple updates from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2. The phone stayed unlocked. I just needed to to a jailbreak that's it.
    So performing a restore on an unlocked iphone with fw 1.1.2 required you to perform steps 2 to 6 but this time omitting the unlock part of the process, right?
    2007-11-26 03:58 AM
    So performing a restore on an unlocked iphone with fw 1.1.2 required you to perform steps 2 to 6 but this time omitting the unlock part of the process, right?
    yes thats correct
    2007-11-26 08:23 AM
    To add to the original question, can I downgrade an AnySim unlocked and jailbroken 1.1.2 iPhone back to 1.1.1 by using the option + restore method without bricking it?

All of a sudden and immediately after upgrading 1.1.1>1.1.2 my battery life's gone for a toss. I'd get about 8 hours of talktime earlier i.e. about 2 days of usage, but now my phone lasts just about for a day with 4 hours of talktime. SSH, WiFi, EDGE are all turned off using the 'Services' app.

I then have reason to believe that 1.1.2 is the culprit and wish to downgrade back to 1.1.1 to verify my diagnosis.
    2008-01-01 09:25 PM
    Doing a downgrade like you suggest in iTunes will not down grade the baseband. You will have a 1.1.1 phone with a 4.02_13g baseband. Many people have "no service" in this state. If you really want to downgrade everything you need to run a 1.1.2 to 1.0.2 or 1.1.2 to 1.0.2 downgrader, virginize, and unlock again when you have 1.1.1. I have a 1.1.2 to 1.0.2 downgrade script in my repository along with a 1.0.2 virginizer.

All this is fine and dandy, but I dont think it will solve your problem. Of the 4 phones in my house, 2 of them are on 1.1.2 unlocked and battery usage is the same as the ones on 1.1.1.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.
    2008-01-01 11:33 PM
    Well, I don't have an issue if the baseband doesn't get downgraded as long as the phone works all right. But if like you said, I get a "no service" indication, then technically my radio's been borked and phone virtually bricked, right?

Also, and I don't mean to hijack this thread, what do you think is causing the massive battery life reduction, if not the upgrade to 1.1.2?

I guess as a last resort, I can try doing a simple restore and see if that helps alleviate the problem.
    2008-01-02 08:19 AM
    Doing a downgrade like you suggest in iTunes will not down grade the baseband. You will have a 1.1.1 phone with a 4.02_13g baseband. Many people have "no service" in this state. If you really want to downgrade everything you need to run a 1.1.2 to 1.0.2 or 1.1.2 to 1.0.2 downgrader, virginize, and unlock again when you have 1.1.1. I have a 1.1.2 to 1.0.2 downgrade script in my repository along with a 1.0.2 virginizer.

All this is fine and dandy, but I dont think it will solve your problem. Of the 4 phones in my house, 2 of them are on 1.1.2 unlocked and battery usage is the same as the ones on 1.1.1.
    Hi BigBoss, I have a similar problem.

Further to your reply can I ask if I run your script 1.1.2 to 1.0.2 or 1.1.2 to 1.0.2 downgrader I do not need to restore to 1.0.2 via itunes right?

Then after the virginizer I need to follow the normal 1.0.2 activation/jailbreak/unlock or upgrade to 1.1.1 ( since it is a 1.1.1 original) and then follow a 1.0.2 activation/jailbreak/unlock? If yes which are the safest guides you would recommend please?

Thanks in advnace.
    2008-01-03 06:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD