"As Turbosim can't unlock a phone, regardless of version, I'd say that's a no."

I disagree. If you define "unlock" as a software solution, then you are correct but if "unlock" is defined as any solution that makes it possible to use an iPhone w/o having to pay AT&T, then TurboSim and all the other sim emulators are in fact, "unlocking" the phone.

I have always noticed an certain bias here in favor of software unlocks but as confidence in the "Devs" wanes, that is beginning to change.

IMO if you are in an area where Apple has negociated an exclusive contract with AT&T for iPhone service and you are using your iPhone with anyone else, you have an unlocked phone.

Also...I get the sense that the same software unlock lovers believe that method is better and I have to disagree with that as well. The Turbo-Steath-Next-Hypersims unlocks may cost money (and I think that is what bothers the software lovers most) but they do not void the iPhone warranty and often survive the firmware upgrades that render software unlocks useless.

Perhaps when the Devs were one one step behind AAPL software unlocking was fun and profitable but some people actually have to use their phones and the frequent disruptions in service has become untenable.

So hacking enthusiasts continue to love software unlocks. Unfortunately, the rest of us dont have the time or inclination to play hacker and wait for the "Devs".

So tell me how software unlocks are better than the sim emulators? I dont think you can when you acknowledge the fact that 1.1.3 is about to be released and the great Devs havent even come close to cracking 1.1.2. Please dont tell me they need 1.1.3 to break 1.1.2. That's old information and has already been discounted. You cant refilter the same misinformation and hope it is going to be swallowed.

I honestly hope someone does come up with a software unlock. I remember the good old days back in Sept/Oct when this board was brimming with excitement, anticipation and hapiness.
    Last edited by taylorcold; 2008-01-09 at 07:07 PM.
    2008-01-09 04:13 PM
    I agree.
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..
    2008-01-10 02:44 AM
    I agree.
    So.... I have 10 iphones (1.1.2) sitting there doing nothing since november 28, should I just buy turbosim or anu other, or should I just keep on waiting,,,,,,
    any thoughts....... Anyone
    2008-01-10 03:08 AM
    So.... I have 10 iphones (1.1.2) sitting there doing nothing since november 28, should I just buy turbosim or anu other, or should I just keep on waiting,,,,,,
    any thoughts....... Anyone
    Get a turbosim Trust me this unlock wont be coming out you know how i know, No UPDATES, DEV TEAM NOT TELLING US ANYTHING, WAITING FOR 1.1.3 AND ITS BEEN JUST A BIT OVER 2 MONTHS. So just get a Xsim AKA Turbosim, next sim etc etc.
    2008-01-10 03:21 AM
    Nice post taylorcold. I couldnt agree with you more.

However I do prefer the StealthSIM's over the Turbo/HyperCards.... but thats just a matter of preference.

yowiphone: 1.1.3 is most likely to be launched at the Macworld Expo... at the same time as the announcement of the 16gb iPhones... (rumor yes but alot of AT&T and other iPhone Carrier shops around the world are confirming they have been asked to place orders for 16gb iPhones)
    Last edited by jimmyxbmc; 2008-01-10 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2008-01-10 03:55 PM
    "As Turbosim can't unlock a phone, regardless of version, I'd say that's a no."

I disagree. If you define "unlock" as a software solution, then you are correct but if "unlock" is defined as any solution that makes it possible to use an iPhone w/o having to pay AT&T, then TurboSim and all the other sim emulators are in fact, "unlocking" the phone.

I have always noticed an certain bias here in favor of software unlocks but as confidence in the "Devs" wanes, that is beginning to change.
    No, I don't define "unlock" as a software solution. I define it in the terms as outlined by wireless carrier definitions. Which is "Releasing the subsidy lock code so a wireless device can be used by any wireless carrier".

Now the Devs team (and let's not forget the IPSF team) have developed software methods of bypassing the necessity to enter a subsidy unlock code, but they do perform the defined method and truly "unlock" a phone.

TurboSIM and its ilk, do not. Believe me, I'm all for using any method by which you can use your iPhone with a carrier of your choice. But lets be realistic, can you loan your iPhone to your friend who doesn't have a TurboSIM so he can use it with his carrier for while? No? I can. Because my phone is unlocked.

Let's call a spade a spade folks. That's the only point I'm trying to get across.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.
    2008-01-10 04:09 PM
    If your friend pops his SIM Card in with StealthSIM it would work... he just has to make a tiny 2mm by 4mm cut. But yes I get what your saying.
    2008-01-10 04:23 PM
    But have the DEVS have an unlock for 1.1.2?
    2008-01-11 12:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD