User Tag List

ok im new to iphones and stuff.. and i need help.. im looking to buy an iphone 3g since the dev team has an unlock ( releasing december 31st ) and there is something about a required baseband or firmware you have to have to unlock it... thats where i get stuck... when i buy an iphone 3g what am i supposed to be looking for in the iphone to tell me about the baseband or something.. i dont even really understand what the baseband is...

any help will be appreciated
    2008-12-21 06:15 AM
    Well when you first buy the iphone you can not tell which baseband it has by looking at the Box it self.
    You have the have the current 2.1 baseband to be able to unlock you're 3G Iphone this New years eve.

Baseband is a hardware that controls all the cellular information sent and received with the iphone, infact all phones. Apple updates the baseband regularly to fix those loopholes which allow us to unlock the iphone to all carriers.

Hope that clears things up
    Iphone Love... I dreamed of a iphone before it was out..
    2008-12-21 06:53 AM
    You may find that a new 3G comes with the latest FW (2.2) already installed. If so you'll probably be unable to unlock it on 31st (going by what the Dev Team say).
    2008-12-21 09:38 AM
    Well when you first buy the iphone you can not tell which baseband it has by looking at the Box it self.
    You have the have the current 2.1 baseband to be able to unlock you're 3G Iphone this New years eve.

Baseband is a hardware that controls all the cellular information sent and received with the iphone, infact all phones. Apple updates the baseband regularly to fix those loopholes which allow us to unlock the iphone to all carriers.

Hope that clears things up
    yes that did clear things up thanks..

just one more question... is there a way to downgrade your baseband??
    2008-12-21 08:08 PM
    Not at this time.
    2008-12-21 08:42 PM
    you have to have the 2.1 baseband to unlock in new years eve!
    2008-12-21 11:33 PM
    yes that did clear things up thanks..

just one more question... is there a way to downgrade your baseband??
    No. And there may never be a way to downgrade the Iphone 3G baseband.
    2008-12-22 04:55 AM
    you have to have the 2.1 baseband to unlock in new years eve!
    so if its 2.1 firmware i can software unlock it for sure??

or is it possible they downgraded the firmware but the baseband is the same? thanks for the help in advance
    2008-12-22 05:13 AM
    so if its 2.1 firmware i can software unlock it for sure??

or is it possible they downgraded the firmware but the baseband is the same? thanks for the help in advance
    YEs if it has the 2.1 firmware you will be able to unlock it. But you wont find the 2.1 firmware anymore, your chances are only about 5-10%/100%.

If you want a guarntee unlock you should get a 2G iphone like this one its cheaper and unlockable forever:

http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-...-days-old.html
    2008-12-22 05:45 AM
    It's not really about the firmware. It's all about the Baseband. When Apple updates the (OS) they usally will update the Infineon Crypto Modem baseband chip, to lock us out.
    2008-12-22 12:37 PM